1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Warriors @ Rockets 3/13/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 12, 2019.

1. blackistan

blackistan Member

If Cousins plays like that in addition to Klay and Steph shooting well we got no shot against them in the playoffs

2. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I think we need to do a much better job of getting Cousins to switch onto the ball handler early in the shot clock, and just go at him relentlessly ... especially when Harden's shot isn't falling. Cousins either gets tired, flustered, in foul trouble, or all of the above. I think Harden is playing banged up and wanted to limit his drives for the sake of staying healthy for the playoffs. We'll see soon enough.

Either way, with us only shooting 28% from 3, while Boogie and Klay went off, this game shouldn't have even been close. Sucks to lose but we shouldn't hang our heads on this one.

Nick_713, mikol13, joshuaao and 7 others like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This isn't true. Boxing out, even just enough to cut their second chance points in half, gives the Rockets a lead in the second or third quarter. Lots of guys caught ball watching on putbacks.

Hakeemtheking and saleem like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which is why I am not so bothered. You are stop on
    Capela needs to grow some
    We need to attack boogie more
    HARDEN was off
    House did not play
    And
    An unfriendly whistle

And we only lost by 2

Rocket River

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It might be irrational confidence on my part but I'm not scared at all.

1. It was an entirely NEW and DIFFERENT starting lineup for the Warriors that no one has seen before. Things like this will definitely throw the other team (e.g. Rockets) off. The hope/expectation here is that the game film from last night will be in rotation to prepare for the Warriors if/when we meet them in the playoffs.

2. Durant being out. Did GSW prove that they can win without Durant? Sure, I guess? But if we remember how last year's playoffs against them went, it was an Iso-Ball duel between Durant and Harden/Paul. There's no inconceivable way that the Warriors or Cousins can play the same way they played last night with Durant in the lineup unless they maybe sacrifice and bench Green or Iguodala. Kerr is not going to take away possessions/touches from Durant and give it to Cousins in the playoffs just because it looked good for one night.

Our team still have holes (shooting 3s without great 3 point shooters for one, rebounding, etc.) but unless they are really trying to push Durant out of the door this summer and underutilize him in the playoffs to give Cousins this level of autonomy, I'm not scared.

waytookrzy079 and Rocket River like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You expect 27 a night from boogie in the playoffs?

Rocket River

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm chalking it up to a hot night from Cousins and a bad night from Capela. I don't expect that to happen again.

But you are correct...Capela/Cousins and Tucker/Green are matchups we have to win. Margin for error is next to nothing elsewhere.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

lol jesus.

You mean the team we are 3-1 against this year? That's the team I'm talking about. The team with more star talent getting more credit for 1 win than the Rockets are getting for 3 wins.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Harden certainly is playing hurt. He hasn't recovered from the fall to his right hand. I think he should sit out a couple of games.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Chris Paul should head a players only meeting asap. The role players need to hold each other accountable and refocus on their goals and strengths/ weaknesses. Harden and Chris can't do everything by themselves.

ak99999 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

some thoughts on this game:

1) I was wrong about Shumpert he has yet to fit into this team's system. I dont mean on offense either, his defense has been off as well. How much of that has to do with his injury I do not know. House should have played last night and MDA admitted as such after the game. 14 games left to get this fixed.
    2) Late game Paul should be the one handling the ball. Harden should be the one finishing but Harden brings the ball up so slowly and him breaking down the defense because more predictable and easier to stop for one specific play. Especially when the team is trailing. Last night there was a play around the 2 minute mark where Harden probably took 18 seconds off the shot clock because he went at a casual pace.
    3) Start House and sit Gordon again. We need more size in the starting lineup to get rebounds. Gordon's consistent scoring punch off the bench is a proven formula why mess with it now?
    4) KD>>>>Klay as an offensive player but 30 points from Klay to me is far scarier than 30 points from KD. Klay's points come completely in the flow of their offense and he is such a threat without the ball. With KD he isos more and in a way slows down that GS offense. Granted they're still 2 time defending champions with him. The Rockets match up better IMO when KD is out there more doing his iso thing versus when Klay is running around getting layups off of cuts and 3s.
    5)Boogie had his best game as a Warrior. I am not worried about this to be honest. He probably should have been in foul trouble earlier. The NBA Refs account admitted there were two calls - the first block against Harden and the knee to Tucker not called - that should have gone against Boogie. Boogie got away with a ton of physical play last night. I do not believe he will be able to do the same consistently night in and out. The refs last night allowed a lot - I mean both Boogie and Draymond went on tirades towards the refs and there were no techs handed out.
    6) Horrible 3 point shooting as a team. Harden has gone back on a poor shooting slump since the wrist injury. That needs to get better soon. Tucker missed a lot of open corner 3s (and hit the one from top of the key) Tucker makes one of those open 3s the Rockets win this game.
    7) Rebounding of course - this will come with getting more size in the starting lineup. I am not sure why MDA is insisting to start Gordon all of a sudden this year. House has shown he can play as a starter and fill in the role that is needed from the SF spot. Even when the Faried/Capela starting lineup was thrown out there they held their own against GS because of the size.

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

3 points for me, with a night of sleep in between...

1- A Cousins/post based offense threw us off. Our switching D has been used to force Curry, KD and Thompson into isolation situations which they are not as efficient at as the Rockets are. We could've used the big body (Nene) to push back against him for sure but having the ball on the post seemed to allow their motion around the perimeter to be more effective. Have to find the ways to either limit his touches on the post or keep up with the motion on the perimeter, if they plan on feeding Cousins like that again (which seems like the only thing that's worked for them so probably their play) let Cousins get all the 15 ft shots he wants just don't let the easy cuts to the basket go unchecked.

2- Post game Harden mentioned being aggressive, which the Rockets were definitely not. Hesitant for sure, a little slow on setting up the matchups they wanted. A little wishy-washy about putting Cousins and Curry in the torture rack, be relentless those guys can't cover. A little slow on pulling the trigger. Sometimes you have to take the shot that is in rhythm, even if you're not wide open. Take the layup instead of kicking out to a corner 3. Take the 3 instead of the one extra pass down low. Be the aggressor!

3- We are in their heads. One game does not undo that. They do not have momentum. They beat us by a bucket, with 4 quarters of hesitant Rocket play and favorable ass whistles. One game, season series is 3-1. They played desperate ball and beat us by a bucket. They still got all that drama to work through. They still got memories of James throwing in 3s with the whole city pulling him down. They still got memories of PJ and Gordon going HAM on em. They think "we did it" after one 2 point win? Good. "Statements" are not 2 point wins, nor the short side of 3-1 season series.

And 4, just because. Someone PLEASE knock that thing out of Curry's mouth.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Because we are only 9-1 in our last ten games.

14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Only recap I mostly agree with. Faried should play the 4 with Nene again as well.

15. macan

macan Member

i remember big D Nene play boogie well. he's strong enough to hold his own.

16. MystikArkitect

I went to see Santana and missed the game.

Is the sky falling or are we cool with the Rockets going 9-1 during murderers row?

Patience likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Supposedly, in another thread, our eventual downfall this season will be due to the fact that Enes Kanter isn't in a Rockets uniform.

18. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

We are their only threat. They know we are rivals and that changed since last year series. We have earned the necessary respect to beat them.

This does not mean we will, that they are bad or we are worst. This is one of the best teams of all time, having added a 3pt Shooting all star, but flat footed and temperamental center. Draymond is not the same and he loses some of his powers against us. And we are right there with them. Props to Morey, Harden and CP3 for getting us there.

Hope we get the series we all deserve, yesterday was not a good game for us, changes in the rotation affected our bench production, 1st half was more evident and I think that was the reason to not go with Faried AND Capela on 2nd half. We will optimize, Nene is our counter to Boogie, and he of course wont stop him, but is going to make him work and will get 1 or 2 fouls from him. We will find more way to involve him on the pick and roll and overall I suspect Harden and Capela record vs Boogie teams is good.

If we get lucky enough to face them for example, after an OKC series, we will be right there, and it will look a lot like last night, we will have spread offense, but at the defining moments, its going to be 90s basketball.

19. pippsux

pippsux Member

Agreed, but he can at least bang. He has the size to bang....also I'm a mind game guy....I know he and Cousins went to Kentucky, it might throw Cousins off....as for Capela, he needs to hit the gym and bulk up. Then add a low post move.... He is too reliant on Harden and Cp3. Baby hook at the very least

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden's 3pt percentage is .245 since Feb 21st. It's not just one night. Until he gets the funk out or wrist healed I wish others would take more of the 3's instead of passing back to him.

ak99999, Newlin and hakeem94 like this.