1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Timberwolves @ Rockets 3/15/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Greg Stiemsma has been a big surprise this season, dude is a solid rebounding center who can clog up the lane and block shots efficiently. Looks like Minnesota has a replacement for Pekovic if he signs elsewhere this summer. I kinda wish we had the "Stiem machine" instead of butter finger layups Asik.

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Just looking at the stats seems turrible.

[​IMG]

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yeah he doesn't have good lateral quickness. He also doesn't have large hands like Rondo. His palm size is average. He has quick hands though which is how he gets all his steals. If he had better lateral quickness & bigger hands to go with his size he would be a much better defender than he already is.

4. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Thanks for correcting me, another bench player who has great games against the Rockets.

5. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Benefit of mobile Internet age.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

What's our record when both Lin and Harden go over 20 points in a game?

7. Jedster

Jedster Member

If we double up Stiem's minutes so that it matches up with Asik's...we'll have a guy who gets a couple of rebounds less but doubles up Asik's blocking ability.
    AND who is to know what Stiem's PPG would be if he was playing in the highest scoring team in the league and getting a lot of chances?

Not hating on Asik cos I respect the guy (did you see all those scratches on his shoulders???), but I was quite impressed with Stiem's defence last game. He was a constant threat to block, and can shoot from mid range quite comfortably.

8. Jedster

Jedster Member

Ack...my bad. More than a couple of rebounds less. LOL.

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

You think the Rockets would still be in the playoffs with Stigs instead of Asik Jed? I think Asik is one of the main reasons why they are in the playoffs and you want this guy? http://www.nba.com/playerfile/greg_stiemsma/game_by_game_stats.html Dude doesn't even have a 10+ rebound game the entire season. I rather Roxs just get a pf that can finish and block shots to cover Asik's weaknesses or D.Ho.

10. Jedster

Jedster Member

I can't say that I've considered Stiems over Asik. I was just comparing your picture, coupled with what I saw from last night. I think Stiems game is quite raw as well, but Asik can sometimes be infuriating the way he plays...like his fumbles or the reverse layup that went nowhere last night.

The question is...would other 7 footers or near 7 footers thrive in the Rockets system as much as Asik has? Or do you think he's special and irreplaceable?

As for Asik being a main reason why we're in a playoff position, well...he's probably 20% of the reason. :grin:

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

11.7 rebounds per game is pretty hard to replace. Sure he fumbles the ball here and there but his fg% is still .538 while Stigs is .443.

@JasonCFriedman

Updated Asik effect #s: When on floor, HOU D performs at top-12 rate & No. 1 on D. glass. Off floor: HOU D bottom-2, bottom-10 on D. glass.

12. Jedster

Jedster Member

Haha cool. I can't even begin to debate you on this because I am not willing to look up stats (too lazy) for anyone. So you've made your points and Asik wins.

13. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

When both go at least 20, they're 8-2.

14. jeddah

jeddah Member

^ This...It's good that I'm not the only one seeing that Lin has a pretty good lateral quickness..I can't understand when people say that Lin is not a good lateral defender...When you watch him play, he normally goes running from East to West..containing not only his opponents but sometimes the player who his man passed the ball to..if he is not quick, he'll normally be beaten...due to his quickness an speed, he sometimes cannot control his body thus he goes bumping into his man resulting in a stupid foul..

what Lin's problem is his propensity of ball-watching and over-helping in their team defense add it up with their teams inability to rotate wisely and you'll see an ugly defensive breakdown immediately....he needs to learn when to double team...When I watch them play, I'm more worried when the ball is not in the hands of the opposing PG..

Defensively, I think Lin is already a borderline elite defender IF he will only concentrate on his man....and McHale I think slowly realizing this because recently I saw him switching on to the SG of the opposing team when they are hot in order to contain them...

15. JamesHarden

JamesHarden Member

^ THIS. Very well said.