1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 12/29/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 29, 2012.

1. kozmo

kozmo Member

Blaming Lin for not covering Westbrook is nonsense. When Lin followed Westbrook over the screen Westbrook got a lay up because no one helped. When he went under Westbrook hit the 3 ....there wasn't much he could do.

Westbrook is maybe the best PG in the nba and he does that every night.

What disappointed me last night with Lin was he was nag restive in taking it to the rack. And when he did he passed the all to Osik who simply cannot catch the ball. He's rough

Lin needs to consistently score. I'm not worried aout his 3 shooting that will come...just sometimes he's not agressive

2. kozmo

kozmo Member

I agree and iLife this team. They are not going to win the championship this year. They need a big to get to the next level but I really like this team

3. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

perhaps they will you dont know the future they already play on the level of the best nba teams eventhough only 2 months playing together...in a few months time they can be in incredible shape

4. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I don't like +/- stats @ at all, especially without context. You have to look at the game play by play log to prove for disprove the point someone is trying to make when +/- is posted.

I was using a defensive player like Tony Allen with low offensive stats as a general example why GmSc would give them a low score. Allen does things that dont always show up in the box score. GmSc is a box score only stat that allows people like Hollinger to try to come up with a magic # to compare players from different eras when +/- wasn't in the box score.

I would have tried to use a Rockets player as an example but we dont have a good D player with low offensive stats and our team D sucks. To be honest I didnt lookup Allen or Memphis before I posted last night. :eek: I just made an educated guess.

Memphis is #1 in pts allowed and #21 in pts scored pg. In theory Allen's +/- should not be very negative (-10 or more) or very high (+20) because he's supposed to be a good defender and Memphis doesn't score that much per game and he doesn't contribute much on offense when he is on the floor. A graph of his +/- #'s should be close to (0 to + 9) without to make mountains or negative valleys above or below.

Considering we blew out Memphis (-10) would be reasonable. I would expect his usual +/- would be in the single digits ether way (+/-).

I had to look up the data to defend my theory:
    Tony Allen +/- 24 games (-11,9,12,10,-6,-2,0,18,3,9,18,11,18,6,0,0,0,17,-6,2,21,-10,-1,1) = 119 total/24 games = + 5 which happens to be their team scoring margin.

BTW, do you want to take this discussion to another thread?

5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

*should be
    without too many mountains

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

5-12 in conference play with losses to teams like the Spurs and OKC shouldn't be an alarm bell.

These are some of the best teams in the Association, after all.

Beating bad competition, losing to good competition, this should all be in line with everyone's expectations of a middle of the pack team at this point. This team isn't bad, and they aren't great, they are simply "okay."

I am incredibly fine with this.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

At this point in the season, the split is still most likely a matter of scheduling.

Almost half of the team's losses to Western teams came against just two teams: Spurs and Thunder. If HOU had played these same games against SAC and PHX instead, my guess is we don't see much of a split. Also, both OKC losses came with difficult schedules.p- the funeral game and 4th game in 5 nights vs. more rested OKC team.

It is not like HOU just cannot beat West teams. They just won vs. MEM and MIN recently. They are just mostly beated by some good teams and at rough parts of their schedule. This is about a .500 team, maybe a little more. You are gonna win some and lose some and it may look like there is a "pattern" when it is randomness of schedule.