1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Suns @ Rockets 1/5/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Key is containg Nash. Suns only go as far as their MVP.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Parker beat him on the offensive end. He made Nash work overtime on D.

And I have FULL faith that Wesley/Sura can do a good job. Heck, after years of Francis' matador D, anything is good right now

3. steddinotayto

that means you want to contain Amare

4. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Afraid not. Nash is clearly the MVP of the team and league. Suns were 29-53 last year and the only big change they made was Nash and Q. He had 20 points and 16 assists tonight! The guys is freaking amazing.

5. steddinotayto

Sure I was convinced that Nash is their MVP. But the way Amare has been playing this season....it's a tossup. As for the 29-53, Amare only played like 50 games last year. I'm pretty sure they would be near .500 if he had played the whole season.

But you know what's easier than containing either Nash or Amare? Stopping JJ, Q and maybe Marion.

6. 12345

12345 Member

That's easier said than done. If KG can't keep him under 30 points than there's no way the Rockets PFs can.

7. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

JVG on local sports here: "Our hot and the Suns hot...there's a degree of difference... one's an inferno.. and one's a bonfire." : D

I want to see how things go first but aside from Wesley containing Nash, the Shawn Marion matchup is scary. There's no way Taylor and Howard can keep up with this guy. JVG may have to go with a three guard lineup and have Mcgrady play power forward for large portions of the game.. or possibly put Bowen on him..or else we're pretty much screwed. Marion made 11-17 shots with Garnett guarding him. We're gonna have to play small ball tomorrow and put Mcgrady or Bowen on this guy.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Why do our PFs have to guard him. Why can't Yao? He plays center. Yao plays center. They should go against each other.

He was 15/19 today against KG. I guess that's decent. If Yao can contain him to just 50% shooting, that would be great. :)

9. 12345

12345 Member

I'm afraid that Yao might foul out if he guards Amare. :(

10. abcmemory

abcmemory Member

I wish we didn't have to turn off the TV after just three quarters.
    The start of the game is very important, because it will set the tone for the whole game. Also, Yao need to feel that he doesn't have to watch his back. That is, he need to steer clear of foul trouble, especially with Amare attacking the basket every time.The first quarter is very important, but also remember that the suns could come back after trailing Seattle 10 plus points in the first half. So the Rockets need to stay focused the whole game even when they have a early lead.
    Key to winning this game: containing Nash and Amare; Slowing down the game which will make the suns very uncomfortable; playing good defense; last but not the least: mutumbo's big elbow.

11. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Dikembe Mutombo

Will the real Dikembe "The Hit Man" Mutombo please stand up?

We got a job for you!

Knock out Steve Nash....with someting....

Just kidding....no real harm intended on S. Nash

But for the Suns-Rockets game, someone has to rough up Steve Nash or disrupt his passing rhythm.

Is this the game David Wesley ought to show up for?

12. abcmemory

abcmemory Member

To sum up the key to winning this game:
    On the defensive end: stop the suns' penetration. period.
    On the offensive end: attack the basket relentlessly. period.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Two possible ways to beat the Suns.

1. Deny Nash the outlet pass, as soon a shot goes up, have Wesley begin guarding him and denying him the ball. This is the defense the '86 Rockets used on Magic Johnson.

2. Let Nash be the shooter, now this is more risky, but it stops the ball from moving, and hurts their offense, make Nash be the primary scorer, and I think the Suns offense might collapse a bit.

I hope for a good game, the Suns look outstaning and Amare is shooting 60% for the season from the FLOOR.

:eek:

DD

14. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Yeah i think we are going to have to go with a small lineup to match up with marion. No way Mo or howard can stop that guy. I am thinking Bowen will get a good 15-20 mins tomorrow night. Hopefully he doesnt hurt us too much on the offensive end.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How about posting up Howard and Taylor on offense and making Marion work or get in foul trouble?

DD

16. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Is anyone else getting way too anxious over this game? I can't wait to see what happends!

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

You guys are scared because the Suns beat up the Wolves badly, but if you think about how the Spurs made them miserable last week, then we can certainly do the same.

Yes, Suns are too fast for us, but we have much bigger size advantage over them. It's a matter of who is able to use their strength to attack opponent weakness. The only thing I'm worry about is how much will Yao play after losing 10lb due to flu.

18. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Yeah, I know what you mean but I'm more scared than anxious. If we were to look at this match up from an objective point of view then we will probably lose pretty bad. I know we're turning it around but just look at the recent teams we were beating.

I have to say I hope I'm wrong about this game but I hope the whole board doesn't get too down on our rockets (too much) if we get blown out by 30 pts. Nothing this team has shown this year has indicated we are ready to take on the elite teams.

19. Wala

Wala Member

I worry that Yao is to slow to guard Amare and he will be in fould trouble. If this happen i think we should bring in Weatherspoon and stop there fastbreak. Weatherspoon is very hard for Amare to overpower him because he is like a wall. If we stop there fastbreak then we may have a chance but if we don't then T-mac need to score at least 50 to win this game.

This will prove how the trade him us "improve or the same."

20. fanwq

fanwq Member

Rockets will beat Suns easily as Spurs did.Because
    1,Our center Yao will like Tim to block A.S.
    2,Tracy will make marion like baby.
    3,Both Wesley and sura as our backcourt will make Nash can't pass and both guys provided consistent defence and asist as they did in the last two games.
    4,Don't forget we have Barry as our strong bench support.
    Rocktes 110: Suns 81.