1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Spurs @ Rockets 2/9/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2004.

1. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

FOF just keep finding absurd excuses. Look, we outrebounded Spurs by a lot! Yao didn't have many rebounds, neither did TD! They were chewing each other while the rest of Rox outrebounded the rest of Spurs. We had more possesion, why should Yao not have more than 16 shots?

Besides, let's not talk about the numbers on paper. we all watched the game, Yao was fighting really hard in the paint and when he got fronted, he often got back the position. But SF ignored him on several occasions. When the big fellow is hitting 70% on the night, it doesn't make sense to ignore him even once.

Stop accusing Yao not being aggressive. When his number is called, he is fighting without reservation now. And, on D, 80% of time, he is guarding two men agressively.

2. canoner2002

Yao played 38 minutes last night. SF 48 minutes. 10 more minutes.

3. canoner2002

But JVG cannot call timeout on every possesion to tell SF how to get the ball to your teammates hands. If SF were smart, if SF were not stubborn, if SF ever looked at his record of going 1-on-1 at the end of a period this year, he would have realized that he should not take the last shots and he as the PG should try to give up the ball without JVG stopping the game.

Unfortunately, SF keeps thinking "I got to take the last shot, and I will do it again". I only prey next time we play better early on and save a timeout at the end, so that JVG can shot at SF's face, "give up the damn ball on this possesion."

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yao had 1 TO in the WHOLE GAME, and that was a 3 second violation because somebody didn't want to pass to him when he was fighting his ass off in the post. Steve had 4 TO's and so did MoT who also played poorly. MoT is Duncan's biatch.

Steve(as usual), JJ, and MoT had off shooting nights, Yao was the only one that kept our no FG making asses in the game. Yet Steve couldn't find away to get Yao more shots than himself...strange that Parker could find more shots for Duncan(while getting 9 assists and only 2 TOs) even though the Spurs took less shots(2) in the game than the Rox did. I wonder what the score would've been if Yao had 23 shots and Steve only had 11?

5. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Originaly posted by sever rockets fan: "I wonder what the score would've been if Yao had 23 shots and Steve only had 11?"

Can not agree more. I mentioned in early post, if yao took 3 more shots, we most likely wan this game. its that so simple? Those idiots just do not get it. They are proud of we have 5-6 palyer got double figures. I see this is a major problem of team. When players with below 40% shot want to take more shot or equivlent shots, you are not going to win. Do not say yao had a offnight in last game, statistic not lie. Trade, or byebye to playoff. If Portland not catch us after their trade, We may got 8 seed luckly.

6. silentfan

silentfan Member

Did anyone else notice Yao had ZERO defensive stops when Ginobili or Parker drove to the rim. Getting only one blocked shot in a game when the other team's point guard is 6'1" and driving to the hole all game is utterly pathetic. Not to mention Yao made it worse by chasing them around and getting beat every time. Maybe he would have had more stamina if he didn't chase them around only to get burned every single damn time.

7. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I don't see your logic there. First you accused Yao for not defending Gino and Parker, then you complained about his effort to defend them? Man, I am confused. First of all, if AI kept driving and shooting, no one in the world would complain that Shaq had ZERO defensive stops on AI. Your center is NOT supposed to defend a running guard. Second, Shaq would only help others with denfense, why? Because he's too valuable for Lakers' offense, they can not afford to have him in foul trouble for those easy tick-tack fouls when trying to guard a mobile guard. Last night, Yao was the only effective offensive weapon Rockets had, he shot with great percentage, from start to the end. And you are still complaining he's pathetic and useless. Now I am seriously questioning what kind of fan you are, maybe a Silent "Spurs" Fan? Coz I still remember your message last night directly after the loss. You said, "L-O-L Nuff said". I don't see anything in you related to a Rockets fan.

8. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

The main reason why Everyone (including the TNT commentators) are all of Steve is because he basically just ran out the clock. If he was going to shoot a 3, he needed to shoot it much sooner, if he wanted to get the quick 2, he should've attacked the basket (like any other pg). He did neither. He decided he wanted to display his cross-over skills instead of actually winning the game.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Maybe JVG should just call all plays for Yao, and when it doesn't work out like the Atlanta, just make a whole new game plan in at half time. Your assertions are ridiculous, Yao kept getting the ball in Atlanta even though he wasn't having success and he got the ball last night.

10. haven

haven Member

Ridiculous? You lose credibility there. Whether I'm correct or not, my claims are certainly "within reason."

Did I claim anywhere that Yao should get the ball every time in the post?

No.

My claim is this: when Yao is torching the defense, and Francis is ice cold, and Yao is open in the post, Steve should give him the ball. What exactly there is a bad idea?

If he's not having success, then he should get the ball less. Did I ever say otherwise?

You make claims on my behalf that I never made. Please argue against my statements, not the easier-to-argue-against claims that I've never made.

More logic, please.

Also, please defend Steve failling to get the ball to a player who's been red hot, and instead, taking ill-advised shots when he's cold.

Thank you. I look forward to your responsive arguments.

11. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

We know you are stupid ... why must you show it time and again?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

At what stretch was Yao torching the defense. Yao's points were very sporadic and steady through the game. When he got a good look he shot, when he didn't he passed. When Yao was torching Orlando, did the Rockets not continue to feed him. You act like he was scoring on Tim Duncan at will, when in reality his shot selection was exceptional tonight. Good shooting night yes, torching no.

Kelvin Cato used to have one of the highest shooting percentages in the NBA last year, should the Rockets have run the offense through him Mr. Logic King?

You're the only person arguing that Yao didn't touch the ball enough.

13. haven

haven Member

Then explain why, after 3 consecutive successful possessions of giving Yao the ball, Francis decided to not pass to an open Yao, and instead go 1-on-5.

Yao scored or kicked the ball out when he was given the ball. He was ignored for minutes at a time.

Oh. My. God. I can't believe you thought this was a good argument.

There's a difference between a dunk because of a double team... and a player who's having success in his 1-on-1 match-up. Cato's %'s are so high because most of his shots are easy as hell.

Do you really think that I (or anybody else) isn't looking at all at context?

Actually, I'm not. :confused:. Have you read the thread or the board today? Several others have.

You still fail to make responsive arguments. Please do so now.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd argue that Yao needed the ball more last night but I've learned not to waste my keystrokes with you.

{typing to agree with haven}

15. canoner2002

Yao was torching the defense, by the standard of last night. Duncan shot much worse but still kept getting the ball, because Spurs know "you got to ride on that guy". On the other hand, Yao was wrestling down low and being ignored for several times. Don't say that passing the ball to Yao and letting him do his work takes too much time. SF's driblling without a clue takes more time and commit 24-sec violation many times.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Good point ArtV. I've given up too.

I think its obvious Steve is not a good player for our team. When all his qualities are added up he's definitely in the Red. Getting rid of him will be the best thing this team will have done in the past 4 years, I hope the Steve-lovers follow him to another team because after a few years there he's going to need their unconditional love from all their bashing too.

17. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Bottom Line:

Too many turn-overs and desperation 24 second shots put up. Let's face it, on offense our boys just seem lost sometimes (ie no movement, too much dribbling).

18. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

Yeah, it was all Yao's fault for last night's loss. It was his responsibility to defend the other team's center, shooting guard and point guard. :rolleyes:

19. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Ginobili and Parker push off with the opposite shooting arm when their making layups? Cause that last layup by Ginobili, Yao looked like he was kinda pushed off, and Yao seemed kinda pissed after the play.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I have changed my mind. This loss was not Steve's fault, it is on JVG. When the Spurs were shooting FT's he should have subbed in Nachbar or Pike for Steve, and the whole last play debacle would have been avoided. Nice job you bald little troll. :mad: