1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Sixers @ Rockets 12/19/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I just cannot tell how the players and the team will perform on any given night. The loss to Toronto was mind boggling. I guess very young and inexperienced teams are by definition inconsistent. Maybe they went to Toronto expecting to win and were complacent.

2. sophiaaa19

sophiaaa19 Member

We always think we will play better after days rest but it seems like we come out with less energy despite having days off =(

But this is a home game aginst the east so it's a win for us! The parsons bobble heads will bring us good luck lol I want one so bad

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Young teams are really inconsistent. Fans love young teams because they are exciting & fun & they have the promise of potential but they are also inconsistent & frustrating as hell. I don't know what to expect from most of our roster on a daily night for the most part except for Harden will be Harden, Asik will be Asik & Lin's defense will be good. Aside from that everything else will be a toss up.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I bet Knicks fans didn't think they'd get blown out twice by the Rockets either, let alone at home.

Ever hear the phrase "any given Sunday"?

Same thing applies in basketball. Any team can come out with a stinker, and any team can come out with a lucky/hot night where it seems like they hit everything. Best team in basketball can be laid low by the worst... isn't going to happen often, but it does happen.

5. just a word

just a word Member

I wonder if it's because the coaches go over film with them and it takes them a game or two to stop overthinking things... and the 'overthinking' comes off as being tentative or being low energy.

6. Beard

Beard Member

Doing my best to contain my excitement with D-Mo, but I cant. Him getting minutes will be the turning point of this season. He will put us atop the logjam at the bottom of the west. He fits in soooo perfectly with the rest of our starting five. Please Coach McHale, give the guy a chance

7. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Oh noes its the annual Philly game with a completely different roster excuse

8. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

I hope he plays and he plays well and they still lose 20+ to us....

9. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

While holidaying?

10. jocar

jocar Member

6ers lost 4 in a row. They're gonna battle for this one.
    Crystal ball says 3 Rockets in 20's..
    Harden
    Lin
    the Morris twin

...speaking of twins...
    [​IMG]

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lin needs to produce bottom line... Can't blame coaches alone for his bad play this year. Gotta be a more consistent shooter and finish at the rim better... Don't expect much from him on D.

12. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Not a excuse, but Calderon killed it the next game also. Sometime players go on a hot streak.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL. No thanks. Beggars can't be choosers & I want to win this game & Jrue not playing ideally works in our advantage.Although with the Rockets it is hard to say we could easily till lose.

Facts don't support much of what you are saying. His FG% at the rim is 60% & he ranks top 100 in PPP per Synergy. Agree with you on the shooting but everything else you said is incorrect. Just a few thoughts.

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

Did Lin airball a single 3 last year? He's had 2-3 airballs this year and they were both ugly.

15. newrocket

newrocket Member

Interestingly, R Rando threw an air ball at clutch point at the end of normal regulation time but no one highlighted it in their recent win after OT against the Mavericks. What I am saying is it is common for the best to do the same.

16. torocan

torocan Member

All players air ball a LOT more than you think. Watch more NBA games and make a point to take note of them.

Jeremy Lin doesn't air ball any more or less than anyone else.

The reason you remember Jeremy Lin's air ball is a perfect example of emotional bias, the same reason why people remember his first Miami game while forgetting the MANY terrible games that EVERY player in the NBA has in their careers.

Emotional bias basically means that an event occurs in an unusual or spectacular way, so you remember it more vividly. It's like people giving undue weight to a spectacular dunk vs a quiet lay up, or they remember that huge block, but forget the sequence where staying in front of their man results in a miss.

For example, we pay attention to Jeremy Lin so we try to track his shooting. We remember spectacular shots by other players, so assume they are shooting better than Jeremy Lin.

Here's some interesting tidbits.

Notable Point Guards with similar or worse FG% than Jeremy Lin THIS season...

Jeremy Lin - 40.7%

Russell Westbrook - 41.1%
    Greivis Vasquez - 40.8%
    Kyle Lowry - 40.6%
    Monta Ellis - 40.1%
    Mario Chalmers - 39.7%
    Jameer Nelson - 39.7%
    Shaun Livingston - 39.2%
    Deron Williams - 38.8%
    Toney Douglas - 37.4%
    Norris Cole - 37.0%
    A.J Price - 36.6%

Now, FG% isn't weighted for 3 pointers or fouls, so even those percentages are misleading. However, it does show that our memories of how often the ball goes into the hole are generally NOT as accurate as we think, especially when comparing them IN season.

So, stop worrying about an air ball. A miss is a miss is a miss. And the reality of statistical percentages means that sometimes those misses will be an air ball, whether your names happens to be Kobe, Lebron, Parsons or Jeremy Lin.

1 person likes this.
  17. catch22

catch22 Member

i always enjoy reading your post morey, i mean torocan

18. booster rocket

Well put! I admit i think even i pay more attention to how Lin shoots and how badly he misses more than other players. As i watch more B-ball, i do indeed notice a lot of poor shooting and even airballs by the 'premier' players in the leauge, but you never hear it mentioned....EVER. At least not after the next shot is taken. But, when lin misses and airballs... He is under a friggin' microscope. Then again, thats what the price of fame and fortune brings you nowadays i guess.

19. yunac010

yunac010 Member

If Holiday's out I think we can win this game. Sixers are coming off a back to back and Evan Turner played 38 mins last night.

20. Luca

Luca Member