1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Sixers @ Rockets 1/29/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 28, 2007.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Man, as great as we seem to be playing, I can't stop thinking about all these what-ifs...

What if we were healthy all year? And T-Mac was playing with the confidence and determination that he's playing with right now from day one? What then?

We would at the very LEAST be third in the west (and the league) record wise, but how much better than even that could we be?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know what? In my rose colored V-Span glasses, I did not consider that.

He may very well have been talking about Wells.

If you listen to his comment, he is saying that is why he doesn't want to hear players coming to HIM for more playing time.....

V-Span did not come to him....maybe Bonzi did?

DD

3. DaDakota

We are 4th best in the league right now....which ain't too shabby !

DD

4. AstroMech

AstroMech Member

I think he meant that Vspan is like the 11th man in our rotation, or like "11th best" player on our team

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For the record, I was talking about his pecking order on the team not the player's number.

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Only on ClutchFans.net do you get THIS much controversy and b****ing after a blowout win. Only on ClutchFans.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well more than directing it to one player i think he was putting out a warning against potential future playing time disagreements. but i do agree that this was definitely more towards bonzi than v-span. interesting.

that said, bonzi is looking better and better and hopefully jvg sees improvement overall. he's worked himself past the point were we should think about trading him just to get him off the team. by the time the playoffs get here he's going to be extremely valuable.

8. Pwnocchio

Pwnocchio Member

Agreed! I honestly can't believe how well this team is doing. When Yao went down I really thought that our season was over. I'm glad that I've been proved wrong. Hopefully we can keep up this great pace over this homestand. Go Rox!

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

How do you know this? You don't know since you don't travel with the team. Bonzi, JL3, and who knows probably have all asked for playing time.

JVG isn't going to show his happiness because he is a man on a mission. I saw the same thing happen with D'Antoni. The Suns blew out some team and the bench played terrible in the fourth quarter. They had a huge lead like us, so it didnt matter. Any ways, D'Antoni was really pissed off the whole 4 quarter and left the game in a bad mood.

Its not surprising to hear that JVG wasn't all giddy after a blow out. Its not like this is the first time this season that this has happened.

10. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

for some reason bill reminds me of cramer from seinfield!

11. JeopardE

How dare you disclose that little anecdote about D'Antoni. Don't you realize you are slandering the greatest offensive coach of all time? A great coach will never voice his displeasure about his bench's performance after a blowout win. Never!

12. DaDakota

yeah, I had not considered Bonzi etc......I conceeded this point already in this thread.

DD

13. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

?

Actually, I don't think JVG ever said anything to the effect that Spanoulis shouldn't complain in the press. I'm sure he doesn't like it, but I don't recall that he directly addressed that.

Regardless, it is the coach's job to critique his players -- be it their performance on the court, their work ethic, or their approach to the game. If a player is doing something the coach doesn't like that negatively impacts both the team and his progress individually, the coach has every right to tell the press that. That's what those press conferences with the coach are for, after all.

15. johnrox

johnrox Member

i can believe it, but how to beat mavs or suns, that is what keeps cd and morey up every night

16. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Durvasa:

"Regardless, it is the coach's job to critique his players -- be it their performance on the court, their work ethic, or their approach to the game. If a player is doing something the coach doesn't like that negatively impacts both the team and his progress individually, the coach has every right to tell the press that. That's what those press conferences with the coach are for, after all."

The coaches' job is to coach. His job is to get the most out of those players and work combinations of players to maximize their effectiveness on court.

I have come to accept and support Van Gundy as our Rockets coach-I support the Rockets team. Van Gundy makes himself look spiteful and petty talking to the press in any negative way about a player. If you do have aproblem with a player -you bring him to the woodshed and talk to him like a Dutchman.

He handled the Bonzi deal well-did not say anything I recall that was personally insulting about Wells to the press. Props to JVG.

Those press conferences are to put your best face forward and face the music- Not to vent about a player.

17. cks

cks Member

the chemistry is really working for the Rox now, they are absolutely first grade elite team, can't imagine how we will take the game when yao is back

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I challenge you to point out where he was "personally insulting" in the press conference.

And answer this. If player's don't put forth proper effort and get blown out, is the coach not allowed to call that performance unacceptable in the press conference because it's "negative"? Is he not allowed to point out specific things some players did wrong?

19. JeopardE

By this token, Phil Jackson (DD's idol) must be the worst coach in NBA history. First he demands that the Lakers trade Kobe and later calls him "uncoachable", now he's calling Radmanovic a space cadet.

Some of you obdurate JVG critics just need to stop. Really. In one breath you say he shouldn't criticize players in public, in another you whine because he doesn't criticize T-Mac as much as you'd like. (I don't even want to ask why you'd want him to criticize T-Mac). It's obvious now that you people will go out of your way to find fault with the man even though he's clearly one of the very best in the league these days. His job is not to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If you really have that much hate for the man, I suggest you go find a hobby or see a therapist. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

1. Korver looked absolutely hideous this game.

2. Steven Hunter looked like a real athletic player that isn't very smart, a Stro Swift clone with less athleticism.