1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Wizards 10/30/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 30, 2019.

1. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You guys are still holding onto the hope that MDA will carry the Rockets to the promised land. He won't. Time for a new coach.

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m fine with the trade and happy about the win. I expected things to not run smoothly in the beginning, and the fact that our record doesn’t reflect that is a great sign.

Doesn’t mean what I said wasn’t true nor was it an attempt to kill any buzz. Don’t try to make it seem like it was.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t think he’ll ever get another coaching job in the NBA again since he was so hard to work with...meanwhile we got scrub coaches like Luke Walton getting scooped up like he’s Red Auerbach still living off his 39-4 stint with the Warriors

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

all I'm saying Russ is leading by example. he's out there fighting, getting rebounds, attacking, upping the pace. he walks the talk. he's not simply a mentor and a mentor from the sideline half of the games

he doesn't tell harden and team what to do. he does it together with them

jboslett and hakeem94 like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, it did work and yes to your questions.

But no, it wasn't about Harden, it was about no teams being able to contest with those screens. If we were just hiding Harden we would put him on Draymond and never switch. The switching defense was designed to deal with the Warriors offense that was destroying everyone and it worked.

HP3 likes this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Well you didn’t say that in your post.
    You’re right though. Russ is bringing a lot. Not saying I wouldn’t take it over what CP does. I love the trade. Just pointing out CP leaving does take away something also. He was like a coach on the floor. Hate it or love it, that part included leads to better play. (Again....So does Russ’ intensity)

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It literally had nothing to do with Harden. You had to switch against the warriors because they run so many off ball screens that you would give up open 3's if you try to fight through every one of them.

I would argue switching on PnR kinda killed us against other teams because it forced smaller players to defend their bigs.

mario_v likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Russ seems to still be working for OKC ...

Tfor3 and Air Yordan like this.
  9. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Looks like Morey has finally sculpted the defense he's been after for so long. I can just hear him chortling "Nobody pays for defense."

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Capella needs help with a solid defensive PF. We are all expecting something out of Capella that he’s not skilled to do. He thrives offensively with iso player like Harden. Without Harden, Capella is below average Center.

jcmoon likes this.
  11. rockets13champs

People act like it was a downgrade. Yes Westbrook isn’t the leader cp3 is, but is a pretty solid leader and I’ve noticed he leads more from example. Westbrook, will go out and do the little things to win. Not chase fouls, but he’ll make hustle plays. Things cp3 just couldn’t do because he wasn’t big enough or athletic enough.

I used to think Russ was a stat padder but seeing him in Houston. He actually earns those triple doubles. Like those rebounds and assists are legit from hustling and his speed and court vision

Remlap, ak99999, jboslett and 6 others like this.
  12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Guards have been trashing this defense nightly.

ak99999 and HP3 like this.
  13. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Team’s can win a championship in spite of its coach. Tyron Lue is definitely not a better coach than D’Antoni. D’Antoni isn't a great coach but he’s definitely a good coach. Overall this team is quite entertaining to watch. Also, yes defense is a concern but bear in mind that when you play at a fast pace, the other team is going to score a lot too.

14. Mr. Space City

Just doesnt make sense to continue to run the defensive scheme that bzdelik designed without him.

They look absolutely clueless on what they're supposed to being doing, where they're supposed to be, who they're supposed to trap, who they're supposed to switch to, and when they're supposed to switch. Guys constantly get beat on backdoor cuts because they simply don't pay attention.

They can't defend the paint at all, then try to put everybody in the paint, then wind up giving wide open 3's. Lazy close outs.

Transition defense terrible. Turnovers don't help either but jeez.

They would be better off just playing traditional man to man defense and have capela camp out in the paint. They're still not going to be elite, but maybe they'll just be mediocre instead of God awful.

#834 Mr. Space City, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Is this a real score? LOL Who cares about defence I guess.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Lol, I forgot about this game until there was 2 mins left. I turned on the TV and thought OK, we went to OT, and then I noticed from the scoreboard, it's still 4th. I thought we were playing the Washington Generals.

BigShasta likes this.
  17. YallMean

YallMean Member

To those who watched the entire game, is Pringles going to have those guys commit to D or what?

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Fun until any team only needing 2 6-8 taller dudes to beat us.

19. vlaurelio

whats the objective of the game though?

20. vlaurelio

Lue had 3 superstars we need at least 1 more star if we hope to win with MDA