1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Wizards 1/8/2008

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 7, 2008.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

We still have the toughest SOS in the league so far. Plus I'm pretty sure we've played the most back-to-backs and one of the most road-heavy schedules.

2. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Rockets looked great last night except for the TOs.

Yao played well, especially on defense. He really clogged up the middle nicely. On NBATV the Wizards announcers were riding his jock for that the whole game.

Luther showed that once again as long as he's shooting he's very valuable. My worst nightmare though, is that in a crucial game late in the 4thQ Luther will find himself having to pass the ball...that's a scary thought.

Chuck Hayes, once again, took another high-scoring forward totally out his game. Battier defended welll too.

Rafer is making his floaters...wow, never thought I'd say it.

3. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

USA Today on the Rox/Wizards

LINK: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2008-01-08-3433287230_x.htm

WASHINGTON — No sense in waiting around for Tracy McGrady to return. The Houston Rockets are winning without him these days.
    Luther Head's season-high 24 points and Rafer Alston's double-double Tuesday night led Houston past the Washington Wizards 92-84, the Rockets' third consecutive victory.

"We've been down this road before. We're prepared. Guys aren't hesitant now, like previous years when Tracy was out," said Alston, who finished with 15 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds. "Guys are coming in confident, understanding they have to be aggressive and attack the basket."

Yao Ming scored 21 points for Houston, which is 5-2 since McGrady went down last month with a left knee injury.

McGrady, sitting on the sideline in a jacket and tie, will be checked out by the Rockets' medical staff Thursday to determine when he'll be able to return.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: NBA | Jordan | Wizards | Rockets | Washington Wizards | Houston Rockets | Tracy Mcgrady | Antawn Jamison | Caron Butler | Rafer Alston | Manuel Balce Ceneta | Nick Young | Alston | Andray Blatche | Darius Songaila
    "If we can get everybody else with their confidence to a higher level, when he comes back it just has to help us as a team," Houston coach Rick Adelman said.

As Head said: "When McGrady comes back, we'll have something to build on."

But what are the Rockets like without their leading scorer?

"Quicker. They play quicker. They probably move the ball a little bit better," Wizards coach Eddie Jordan said. "Tracy's a tremendous player, but I'm sure they have a scheme without him and the scheme was to push it, play up-tempo, drive it and move the basketball."

The Wizards also had a star scorer in street clothes, of course: Gilbert Arenas, out perhaps another two months after left knee surgery. But the two past All-Stars who have been leading the team in his absence, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison, were quite quiet Tuesday.

Jamison was held to 14 points on 4-of-13 shooting, and Butler scored 12 on 5-for-16 shooting, part of a 41-percent night for Washington.

"We really couldn't get it going offensively," Jamison said. "We had very few open shots."

Part of that is because of the 7-foot-6 Yao, who blocked four shots and altered others. His nine rebounds were also part of a 46-28 edge for the Rockets, and in the final minute, back-to-back offensive boards for the visitors drew boos from the home fans.

"What we didn't have doesn't show up in the stat sheet," said Jordan, who decided to give his weary team Wednesday off. "They had a little bit more energy, a little bit more team effort."

Andray Blatche's only basket of the game pulled Washington within 80-73 with a little more than 7 minutes left. But after Butler missed a layup, Alston hit a 3-pointer, then assisted on Head's 3.

When Yao tacked on a free throw after Jordan was called for his first technical foul of the season, it was 87-73 with 5 1/2 minutes left, and Houston was on its way.

"We share the ball very well," Yao said. "I feel a lot of balance in the team."

Notes: The Rockets hadn't won three games in a row since Nov. 24-28. ... Jordan has been critical of his bench's effort lately, but the Wizards' reserves outscored the Rockets' reserves 31-17. ... The big topic of the day in local sports was, of course, Joe Gibbs' resignation as the coach and president of the Washington Redskins. "He's a classy gentleman and he's an awesome coach, a Hall of Fame coach," Jordan said, "but what I liked most of all was the class and dignity that he brought to the table as a head coach in the NFL. Sad to see him go."

The Associated Press

4. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I can't recall since people accuse me of not watching the games!

The most recent case was the Boston game. He made a horrible turnover on an entry pass to Yao and didn't box out on Ray Allen down the stretch. That was a swing of 2 to 6 points.

But I guess that swing in points apparently don't matter if you hit three pointers about 40% of the time .... Now how much did the Rockets lose by??

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I guess JVG is also a turd. Look, some people have different reactions. JVG was *never* happy even after wins. Maybe some of the JVG mentality rubbed off on some people here....

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Just a note -- this is not a USA Today original article, it's from the Associated Press. The thread title should read AP. The AP recaps are the same ones that are published everywhere else including ESPN and NBA.com.

7. YaoYi

YaoYi Member

The Washington Redskins is a "local" D.C team?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

8. yobod

yobod Member

Uh, yeah? I don't see the confusion here. They play in Washington, D.C. Hence, they are a local D.C. team.

9. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

It is funny how the Rockets play faster without T-Mac instead of Yao.

10. YaoYi

YaoYi Member

never mind ... because the name "Redskins" I always thought the Washington Redskins are based in Washington State. :eek: :eek:

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

more like ironic. tmac always said he wanted to run and gun while everyone worried how yao would fare to that style. yet it has become evident that tmac is the one who doesnt want to put in the work. i mean we even catch yao on the finishing side of a fast break, yet it seems that tmac can only settle for a three on fast breaks.

12. TheyCallmeExMan

dont get ur panties in a bunch =)

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

let me guess you're not living in the US

14. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

With McGrady out of the line-up, the team has become more balanced. Alston (arguable), Battier, Head, Scola et al are good players who thrive in a "system". They are capable of averaging double digit point production but they need, like any other player, a decent amount of shots to get into the flow of a game. McGrady is brilliant...no questions about that. However, when he puts up 20-25+ shots per game...those shots are coming at the expense of everyone but Yao. Also, because of his natural talent...when the team gets in trouble they defer to his one-on-one abilities instead of playing good, fundamental team basketball. That's why when his shot is falling the team wins. When it's not, the team loses for the most part.

P.S. Head (Luther) is underappreciated. How many points did he average last year when McGrady went down? He's shown that he's perfectly capable of averaging 15+ points per night. It's too bad he doesn't have the size to play SG nor the handles to play PG.