1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Warriors 5/19/2015 (Western Conference Finals, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 18, 2015.

1. PeppermintCandy

If Howard is healthy, I like houston's chances of going home with a split.

2. Man

Man Contributing Member

Once again, this is the issue. We had a good chance at winning, and the refs handed it on a silver platter to the Warriors to take. Yes, Warriors started playing well and playing with more energy, but after they got a 10 to 15-point boost from the refs.

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Warriors got outplayed for the majority of the game. They went on a ref induced 25-6 run in the 2nd quarter and an a legit 11-0 run in the 4th, otherwise they were outscored by 26 the rest of the game. If we can limit GS to just ONE run like that instead of 2 I think they are very beatable.

Just imagine if McHale had called timeout, changed lineups, whatever to stop the first run. We'd be celebrating a Rocket win. And no, I'm not putting the loss on McHale, but he should've done more during that run. Reminded me of the 23-0 run LAC had or whatever it was in one of those games.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We got the A game from some of their players. Certainly, Steph played about as well as he can(unless he jacks up more shots). Klay started out hot, but didn't shoot as much later on since he was too busy using up his energy defending Harden. Barnes had a good game, especially in the 2nd half. Green had a decent overall game. Livingston played as well as he possibly could. The only Warriors who didn't really do much were Barbosa, Iggy, and Bogut.

5. Man

Man Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm torn on that decision, because on one side, observations-wise, we were doing fine and not really having any troubles scoring. On the other side and for sure in hindsight, we should have had a quick reset and the guys started getting winded, needed a breather and for us to regain some momentum.

Just can't believe the officiating still.

6. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

You can call almost every screen in NBA the "moving screen", guys never set steady, always lean in with the shoulder, hip, and elbow, etc. There is no way the ref can call them consistently.

7. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Not really. The Warriors didn't play well at all, and still came out with a win. The next game will be ugly.

I thought the Rockets would win when Bogut went out with foul trouble, but then Howard's knee.

8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

If Dwight is only say 80% I think you have to rest him until Saturday and roll with Capela. If resting Dwight til Saturday gets us 100% Dwight then I'm all for that. Rockets need to utilize PnR a lot with Capela if he is going to be the guy in Game 2 and just let Harden be Super Saiyan Harden that he was in Game 1. Defense and rebounding will be an issue though.

9. count_dough-ku

I don't know why people keep saying they didn't play well at all. Their shooting percentages were lower than normal(credit the Rockets' D for some of that), but their key guys did have good games, especially Curry. And they turned the ball over less than they normally do.

And while the Rockets may not shoot as well next time, they can definitely get better performances from Terry, Smith, and Jones. Hopefully from Dwight too, but that hinges on the condition of his knee.

10. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Kudos to Flop for creating this video
    We can report this to the NBA. Follow these instructions.
    First as soon as we start making noise I guarantee NBA will demand this video to be taken down. So download the program called 4Kvideo downloader or something similar so you can make a copy of this video. Link: https://www.4kdownload.com/howto/howto-download-youtube-video?source=videodownloader
    Now that we have a copy of the video you can upload it to youtube to either send in your link or Flop’s.

Link to reporting to NBA : http://www.nba.com/email_us/contact_us.html
    Enter your name, email, Select Officiating in the NBA as the dropdown.
    Enter the following message:
    Please review these missed calls. Link can be found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVkzTr-op7U
    Some Key misses:
    1. Harden could not get any calls on his drives throughout the game. I am shocked he only shot 6 free throws considering how aggressive he was the entire game. It should have easily been a 40 point night for him.
    2. The third quarter had the most moving screens for the Warriors.
    3. I am surprised not one moving screen call was made in the entire game. This definitely favors the Warriors considering the splash brothers are better than everyone in the NBA at shooting off the dribble.
    4. Bogut grabs and hooks Dwight every chance he gets when going for rebounds.
    5. There were hardly any bad calls against the Warriors. Maybe a couple of times where the Rockets were touching the Warriors on their back when they shot a layup in transition, but 1/2 went in. They did the same to Brewer except they would go for his hip rather than his back which is less noticeable. I noticed more contact on Josh Smith and other Rockets drives in transition which I didn't add. Jones looked like he fouled Curry on that three at the end of the game, but it came after a blatant push off which sent Corey Brewer flying.
    6. I left out a lot more (non)calls against the Rockets because they were hard to notice without me pointing them out and I did not want to seem biased.
    7. Specifically in the 2nd qtr
    A. There appeared to be one moving screen on Dwight in the 2nd quarter, but when you see the reverse angle showing how Bogut picked up a foul on Josh Smith it shows Harrison Barnes was grabbing Dwight's arm on the roll while shading him to make it look like a moving screen. He was trying to get Dwight in early foul trouble.
    B. Draymond Green fell back onto Howard's left knee in the 2nd quarter. I added it. Also, added some extras in the 2nd Q showing how they got some calls that we didn't.
    C. The Rockets started the 2nd quarter 31-24. They committed their 5th team foul at the 6:19 mark of the quarter. The FT difference was 7-2 in favor of the Warriors. The Warriors finished the half with the momentum up by 3 points.
    D. The only reason we did not crush them on the boards when they went small is because they would tuck, grab, and push Howard out of position.

11. leangle25

leangle25 Member

12. lockmat

lockmat Member

I have a fear that this could turn out like the Astros in the world series vs. the White Sox. The Astros SHOULD have won all four of those games, but freak things happened everytime.

The Rockets could have won last night. I feel like we have the capability to win every game against the Warriors if we play with the defensive intensity we did last night, but I'm worried they could be going down the path of the Astros vs. the Sox.

They showed great heart last night, I hope they keep it up!

13. lockmat

lockmat Member

Which time? When he he hit the runner in the lane and Terry breathed on him? He also flopped and didn't get the call on the 3 at the top of the arch late in the fourth quarter.

14. count_dough-ku

That means we're due for a septuple overtime game in H-Town that doesn't end til after midnight.

15. lockmat

lockmat Member

That...would...be...awesome. Except we need a Rox win.

It has already been taken down. Would love to get my hands on that thing.

16. GMNot

GMNot Member

In short, TO's fueled the 26-5 run by the Warriors. TO's are a momentum killer. It was accompanied by letting up on energy and effort a bit. Next thing you know the game was close and the Rockets never got back to their original execution. This has been their biggest flaw all season, IMO.

The announcers indicated that several of those TO's were because of the injury to Howard. Maybe. But several were not.

I think even though it might not seem the right thing to do, the Rockets need to find a way to not have Harden be the main ball handler. It's like an addiction that provides a high but isn't good for one's future. Normally, a double team develops on a 2 guard from a pass. Harden often possesses the ball so early in the shot clock that he becomes the PG. He seems fully capable of being as effective off the ball. The biggest drawback would be the defensive effort he would have to expend guarding elite PG's.

We've seen some flashes of how it might be with a PG like Prigioni directing the offense. But even then, he defers to Harden possessing the ball. Maybe what the Rockets need is another 2 guard with a killer jump shot to play alongside Harden. Harden doesn't quite fit the mold of a PG but he handles the ball so much he is, in fact, pretty much the PG -- even when Beverly was playing.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Jones gets traded before next December, or at the latest, the Feb. trade deadline. He was kept over several other prospects but hasn't fully lived up to expectations. Whether he is apprehensive about the nerve injury or something else he just doesn't finish as strong as needed around the rim. He certainly bulked up to have better upper body strength, which should allow for stronger finishing but he seems reluctant to use it. December would give him time to show improvement.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Like Aaron Rodgers told Green Bay... everyone just needs to calm down.

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I think, championship or not, "get a second playmaker" is going to be the top item on the offseason wish list, just ahead of sorting out the PF position.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That's not what he said...

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You get the point though right? We don't need to overreact.