1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Timberwolves 3/20/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2005.

1. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I don't agree. Yes, those shots are makable for him, but they weren't falling last night. Great players adjust from situation to situation. You are in a shooting slump, you just can't allow yourself to do your normal routine, try something different. In terms of open shots of guards, I don't get it either. You are ALLOWED to pass an open shot, that's not a crime. Reggie Miller doesn't take every single open 3 he has, why should Sura do? He's not a great shooter, he has good nights and bad nights in terms of shooting. You are not a good 3 pointer shooter, why not step in closer? How many open 3 Eric Snow gets? How many does he take? He worked hard on his jumper, but he's not a great shooter, so he drives and gets closer, try to drain some mid-range jumper. Cato got open 3 looks all the time, does he have to take all the time? Sometimes, I really think a 35% shooting player is much more dangerous than a 20% player, coz the latter one would never risk.

I don't get this crap that player A is a great one, so we live and die with him. It's a team sport! Everyone adjusts from game to game, situation to situation, to get the win! Should player B say that he makes those shots in practice all the time, so he can take as many shots and miss as many shots as he wants to?

Yes, Yao fumbles balls a lot. How many TOs he averages? 2 or 3, or rather 8,9? OK, passing to him risks TOs. How come nobody thinks shooting 3s in a shooting slump risks greatly for a miss?! I can certainly see that we fare better with 4,5 TOs and 50%+ shooting, then 2,3 turnovers + 40% shooting from some guards in any given nights.

2. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

I think we have a bad game plan last night.

Yao is the only effective offence weapon for the first 3 Qts and although he only played 30 mins, he just did too much work!!!!!!!! I saw so many times he had to come outside to defend small-quick Minny guards and help others to double KG. for a quite period JVG put him on KG and last night KG is just too quick for YAO. Minny played a smart game, they worn yao out and played a very physical game and foul yao as much as they can, and that's why yao only have 9 shots but with 16 FT. My impression is that YAO is the number 1 enemy in Minny's eyes.

maybe we should let yao stay in the paint and free him from defense side and ask him focus on off. I do think he has the energy to play 35 mins last night but he just did too much on defence. I never seen Shaq go out to chase small guards so frequently.

My conclusion is: last night we did not use YAO right.
    Also, TMAC was not the game and look like he had something in his mind and just can not get himself into the game.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

Does anyone have an opinion of the Deke-Yao experiment last night? I was minding my kid so I didn't get a good chance to see how they did together.

4. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

they were good. Minny can only shoot from outside and we had several open-shots when yao and deke inside minny's paint. but both of them look tired after 5 mins:D

5. langal

langal Contributing Member

LOL.

They should stop smoking cigerettes on the bench.

6. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

i totally agree i actually thought mutumbo played garnett very well and actually frustrated him to an extent. but of course after a few minutes deke got tired and thats when van gundy had to make a move.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Lance on the Morning Show on 610 was saying T-Mac should get consideration for MVP after the road trip last week. I wanted to call in and say if Tracy can't win when Bob Sura is out, he isn't MVP material just yet. The role players are what they are, role players and they shouldn't have such a dramatic impact on wins and losses.