1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Timberwolves 1/19/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

If it's a good system, it would have all those contingencies well figured out. Up to now I don't see that McHale has a plan yet.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is just lunacy. If the system is creating open shots then the system is not to blame. Players have to make the shots, coaches can't do that for them.

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the system is not creating open shots.

our 'system' is to drive, kick, and then shoot the first semi-open three pointer we see. And then kick, drive, and repeat ALL OVER AGAIN

thats NOT A SYSTEM. thats HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL

we have no midrange threats, no cuts, backpicks... NOTHING

4. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

I want to see Lin shoot some more. I thought he was good the last two games. I want harden to shoot less if he isn't on. Also let Lin bring up the ball. Harden waste a lot of time on ISO the last two games.

Also play Tony D. We know the dude can be clutch and make insane shots.

Parsons has been damn good also. If he's on, let him keep shooting. Mchale needs to learn to substitute. How many times has he made bad subs? I'm starting to think we are trying to tank. Embarrassing.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yep. One bad losing streak and everyone forgets about all the good that was done prior. Just blind dumb luck that we did all that winning before. I can't make you remember all the times Lin was hitting harden and parsons on backdoor cuts or make you realize that there are plenty of screens set throughout the game, but it absolutely was happening.

Recently the refs have swallowed their whistles and our shots haven't been falling. You wanna blame it on the system, go right ahead, but it's hardly the problem some are making it out to be.

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I doubt that you really understand what the word "system" means, and it's likely you have never designed any system in your life.

A system should have foreseen all the positive and negative forces affecting its output, and has a feedback loop to detect if anything is going wrong.

A good system should have the mechanism built in to correct or adjust so things would go back to normal.

If McHale's system depends so much on the success of volume 3P shooting from every player, and Harden's ability to score by driving to the rim and getting to the FT line, then he as the designer of his system should have corrective measures or adjustments pre-planed and built into the plan.

In the last six lost games, when the 3Ps and the FTs were not falling, and when Harden was blocked in the lane and not getting any calls, what were the corrective measures that McHale had asked his players to implement to turn things around.

What I have observed was that our obedient players continued to do more of the same things that obviously were not working. And you know what? That is call insanity.

I suggest that you read other posters' posts carefully, make sure you understand what they mean before you jump to any conclusion and spew out words like lunacy.

BTW, the players are only the tools McHale uses to implement his system. So don't shift the focus and blame.

1 person likes this.
  7. steady

steady Member

Keep the system, but just provide our guys with some options, if only to keep opponents' defenses honest. I'd love to see some misdirection plays tonight

8. lfw

lfw Rookie

Biggest reason for this losing streak is the defense not being able to make stops. It's hard to start a fast break if you let the other team score or control the rebound. If the Rockets can't run, then the offense suddenly turns very dependent on Harden to score.

I feel like Harden is pressing a little too much to score, trying to carry the team to a win and end the streak and find his shot. Personally, I don't mind him shooting until he finds his stroke back but I do think he is shooting a tad too much the last 2 games. He draws so much attention that he can help his teammates get open shots and maybe get them going.

9. brick

brick Member

The Rockets's lack of midrange shots is easy to defend. This is like once you find a bug in a PC game you can take advantage it and win against the computer. Can they fix the bug? I am not sure they want to because it is the distinct feature of their offense. Even if they fix it, it's going to take a long time to get things going smoothly.

10. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

McHale should be fired ASAP.

No kidding.

11. tzou88

tzou88 Member

seriously, if we lose this game...trade jeremy lin for peanuts

12. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum Member

Yes, blame Lin! Excellent suggestion!

13. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Lin is going to have a big game

14. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I believe if Rick Adelman were still head coach coaching this roster, we would have won a lot more games so far than 21. He knows how to win. He's a motivator and he understands the players role. The last several years when he coached Rockets, we just had mediocre rosters at that time. It's unfair to him. This years roster we have a lot of good young players that would have suit Adelman. I miss Adelman.

...But I will give McHale a chance and see what he can do for the rest of this season.

15. tzou88

tzou88 Member

twas a joke dear madame.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are the Wolves this year the team with the worst luck in health matters EVER?

17. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

So are you saying, we should be undefeated? We should have a perfect offensive system that can adjust to players missing open shots? And adjust defense to stop the other team from scoring? I mean, this makes it sound like there is ALWAYS something the coach should have done during the game to alter the outcome. Players A misses two open shots, the system puts in Player B or C who will make the open shot. Cause it's perfect system.

This is a game. Players will have off games, off weeks.. It's just like that. There is no stopping the losses. We have the youngest team in the league, so you should expect them to be inconsistent. It comes with the territory.

18. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Rox find a way to lose this game and in heart breaking fashion to fulfill the 7 game losing streak prophecy.

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i love calvin murphy's laugh

20. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

What a great spirit he has.