1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Thunder 4/21/2017 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What if we are all just Sims 57 characters existing in some twisted simulation and we will all be stitched into a human centipede tomorrow.

It is wortisome

francis 4 prez likes this.
  2. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

IF only harden had them!!!! IT was so CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!! LIFE SOMETIMES I SWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

francis 4 prez likes this.
  3. SemisolidSnake

*sigh* The Rockets LOST that game. They weren't beaten; they beat themselves. They're actually lucky the game was so close. Too many things to list.

Few things of note, though.

First, our 3-pt shooters (sans Harden) looked positively terrified to shoot out there. From the start of the game. When you're hesitating and hitching and debating with yourself because you have no confidence, OF COURSE you're going to miss the shot. Anderson looks like he has no clue what he's doing out there. Does he always set up 4 to 7 feet behind the 3-pt line? (I haven't been able to watch much this season, so I actually don't know.) This is not acceptable for a team that openly broadcasts its intention to win games by shooting and making more threes than anyone else. Meanwhile, Harden has too much confidence and really should be testing his long-range aim for each game MUCH earlier.

Second, um, Westbrook can hit a long two-pointer. Guess what, stat monkeys? It doesn't matter if that's considered an "inefficient shot" if it's consistently falling in a single playoff game. Either get a hand in his face or commit harder to taking those points back, guys. Each game is unique; you can't assume the Law of Averages will always show up to bail you out. Especially in the playoffs.

Third, I really have no idea what our coaching staff was thinking in those last few seconds not calling a timeout. Give Westbrook credit for being smart with that two-shot backcourt foul on Harden. If we move the ball up with a timeout, there's a much better chance they back off or commit a three-shot shooting foul. And to waste a timeout twice? Ugh.

Finally, I just hate how the 3-pt shot has become the go-to tool in the basketball toolbox. Everyone's getting lazy and just expecting the three to solve all their problems, but that's idiotic thinking in the last seconds of a game. A brilliant shooter still will still miss 3 out of 5 shots behind the arc; that's not exactly comforting in a last-second play. Yeah, if you NEED three points, that's what you do, but if you only need TWO points, are you telling me that the coaches can't draw up a play with a higher percentage scoring chance than 40%? That a drive to the basket with potential for free throws is a worse option when you only need two points?

I mean, to me, it seems that when we are on our game, we're clearly the better team, and I do bet that we win this series. It shouldn't have even been close to a win tonight with all our problems. But was it necessary to go all in for the lower percentage win instead of the higher percentage tie with the last possession? Is it really wise to gamble in the NBA West with even a single loss in the playoffs? And, of course, we might beat the Thunder by playing a little better than we did these past two games, but that level of play will get us destroyed by the upcoming Spurs. The time to play your very best is EVERY game, and we'd better figure that out before the next series...assuming we make it to the next series. This was a discomforting loss.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately that's true, and I don't like chihuahuas. Yap yap yap. I'm ready to see Bev bring it next game like I know he is capable of. We can't afford to lose another one.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Man sometimes it just feels like we don't or just won't win these games!

6. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

All the Pick 'n Pop with Anderson, he just held the ball for ****ing 3 seconds. Either shoot or give it up quickly. Don't ****ing waste time.

Majority of the pick 'n pop with Anderson became isolation for Harden. Wasted possession because of Anderson's reluctant to shoot.

deb4rockets5 likes this.
  7. JazzLakerHater

All the time lol

8. Rocketeer4Life

Trevor Ariza is Corey Brewer 2.0.
    Rockets will never win a championship with Trevor Ariza starting and playing more than 20 minutes a game.
    He has been an offensive liability since last season hence don't expect him to suddenly shoot better during the playoffs.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Ariza had position yet let Adams get that offensive rebound and put back...that was the game.

Deuce, DreamShook and Remlap like this.
  12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

These last two games have me nervous. Still think we'll win in 5, but the Thunder owned us the past 2 matchups, making key adjustments after Game 1. We got hot at the end of Game 2 and Westbrook possibly had the worst 4th quarter in playoff history. Really wanting a split in this OKC stretch before I start pulling my hair

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Having Sam back will help

14. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

Check out @awexlerKPRC's Tweet:

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The positives I take from this game:

We are a team that can play like crap and still have a chance to win. That says a lot about what this team is. This could be a special year if we play even slightly better and more consistently. We're really dangerous out there.

We're hustling out there. You don't outrebound this team at home without making a real effort. We had 6 blocks tonight too. We didn't shoot well but we tried to make it up with hustle. This shows there's no quit in us. That's fantastic.

They shot 55% and barely beat us.

This is a good Rockets team. You don't stay close in games like this unless you're good.

Looking forward to game 4!

Jayzers_100 and Tha_Dude like this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't insult you before or resort to all this juvenile name calling.(5 times in this one post) I realize emotions are running high. But you've decided to make it personal and the gloves are coming off....and staying off. I've never liked your dumb ass anyway.

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

ya. the way to rig a series is to give a huge FT advantage to the team you want to lose. :rolleyes: just accept the loss....

18. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

I've succumbed to the fact that the Rockets won't have games where they get hot from 3 because the defense is just too intense this time of year and we have no pure shooters who can make shots with a hand in their face. Harden has to play like God for us to even compete if we make it thru the thunder so I will no longer get mad at whatever happens moving forward. I just hope Morey makes more magic happen come July

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

all I know is I'm the head of the centipede in this simulation.

SamFisher likes this.