1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Thunder 4/21/2017 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 20, 2017.

1. FEDEXROCKETS13

Love how it takes a triple double from Westbrook and 59% shooting from his teammates and it's a great game by okc to win by 2 at home, harden has 44 points and an off shooting night from his teammates with harden missing a game winning 3 at the buzzer to lose by 2 on the road and harden "comes up short" I personally couldn't feel better about our chances to win the series after a loss.

Pen15clubber and topfive like this.
  2. FEDEXROCKETS13

In the past one loss normally spelt doom for the rockets in a playoff series, but this loss actually feels more like a win in my book thunder had to play their best basketball game probably of the year in order to win by 2 at home. I glad they had to "THUNDER UP" to win by 2 last night lol

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We almost stole one last night. Clearly we have a gear they do not, and all things equal we should be closing this series out in 5 or 6.

Pen15clubber and mrm32 like this.
  4. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I
    I agree. People shouldn't be upset about that loss. We are not built to sweep teams in the playoffs. We rely on 3pt shooting so our shooting will fluctuate quarter to quarter. They played very well so credit to them. Let's hope the loss fires us up for Sunday's game.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A shot to win it at the end, from your best player in their gym, yeah, we will be alright.

DD

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Stupid to take the 3

CK Johnson likes this.
  7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I've rewatched the last shot several times. It was a really good clean open shot. He had some space going left if he wanted to drive but I can live with this result. As good as Roberson has been on defense Harden has been just as good if not better on offense. 39ppg on 47% FG shooting. I think we'll be alright guys.

Is this the playoff Harden we've been waiting for?!

htownrox1 and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. kevolution

kevolution Member

I agree with this post. I don't see why the Rockets wouldn't have shot a 3 to try to end it. Harden had a clean look and he wasn't shooting too poorly. We had key players either fouled out or in foul trouble. We're playing on the road vs home court advantage that most likely would have helped OKC more in OT.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Thunder had another weak 4th quarter though. They were terrific through 3 quarters. The key for the Rockets is to not spot them a huge lead early on. In Game 1, it was a 2-point Thunder lead after 1. The Rockets won by 31. In Games 2 and 3, it was a 9-point Thunder lead after 1. The Rockets won Game 2 by 4 and lost Game 3 by 2.

I know it sounds overly simplistic, but if you play them close to a tie early on, you'll pull away as the game wears on. They don't have the offensive firepower to keep up with the Rockets. And neither Westbrook nor his teammates can keep up that frenetic pace the entire game. You can tell they're worn down by the 4th quarter.

Deuce, BigMaloe and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. onreego

onreego Member

I'll take the rest and opportunity to try again. You go into OT+ with game 4 not even a full 48 hours later and at their place, your probability of walking out 2-2 increases. That's just my opinion.

Pen15clubber and BigMaloe like this.
  11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Last night I was slightly upset about taking the 3 rather than driving. (was drunk) but overall was OK with it.

Looking back today and watching the final play, the sequence is fine with me and I like the guts to take that shot.

Harden went for that win right after he started feeling his stroke and just tied it. And I think that's the right play.

Absolutely push in transition to catch the defense not set and if he drills that shot we are talking about the most memorable Harden moment. I was ready to explode when he let the shot fly for the win.

Only thing I wish is if he did the stutter crossover step to the left pull up 3. He is much more in rhythm and accurate that way then his straight up pull-up 3.

Overall great performance by Harden.

We need to box out better. (Dmo where are you?)

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep. This was the game of a series the team without the home court advantage is most likely to win -- down 2-0 and returning to their home stadium for the first home playoff game of the season. Got the rowdy fans behind them and the sense of desperation because if they lose THIS game, they have zero chance at winning the series.

So all of that in favor of OKC and what happens? They nearly blow it.

Like FedexRockets13, I feel great about this series.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it is concerning that we are letting them school us in fast break points. We averaged over 16 a game in the regular season, and were 4th in the league behind OKC. They have held us to less than 6 fast break points a game in every game, while they get 17 a game. That alone, is something we need to be concerned with. I just want to get this series over with already.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Roberson will come back do
    Harden is a baller this postseason.

Loving it.

BigMaloe, Pen15clubber and topfive like this.
  15. rockets13champs

they like to take turns for their off nights

16. 9baller

9baller Member

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BigMaloe, Pen15clubber and Stormy1234 like this.
  18. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

man you can tell everyone in okc from the team to the fans know they are fighting for their lives rn and that the series is over if they do not protect home court.

they didnt boo bev yesterday maybe bc they saw how a hard screen got him going and he responds well to animosity.

that or they just forgot.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Spurs have lost a game in their series, as well. We win the next game in Oklahoma City and then end it in game 5 at home for a 5 game series win? I'd feel pretty damn good about that. OKC isn't chopped liver.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Okc is a damn good squad when Westbrook doesn't shoot 70 times