1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Thunder 1/9/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 9, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i said it was dumb. not sure why you're confirming it

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

read my edit. Thanks.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

your edit made no sense whatsoever tbh

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lol your opinion. Go away leave me alone geez

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh i am. this discussion was a complete waste of my time. go do you

6. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I have to say, respectfully, that throwing the game reads kind of irrational given the context.

I would dare to say that this is one of those games Harden starts relaxed and is not expecting to have such a good defense on him all game long. This Ferguson keed sure did his homework preparing for the matchup. And then James just does not what to do because our Coachand team is not prepared for these scenarios.

Did you guys see the part on the 2nd half where PJ passed to Harden and he kept returning the ball, and then PJ does a Kevin Love to Mclemore on the corner?

Not a good game chemistry wise either. Seeing the "scapegoat" on the other team elevating his team surely did not help.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is wonderful to see. I thought Harden let Russ down BIG TIME, but I keep forgetting how close they are.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It’s very telling that you don’t have a third category of person: the people who see things that aren’t there, and then create narratives around unsubstantiated ideas.

A side effect of being this type of person is that you’ll always believe other people are missing something, when in reality, that something simply isn’t there.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

If CP3 is healthy that OKC team should be very formidable. With Gallanari, Schroeder, Adams, Ferguson and company they look better on paper than the Rockets to be honest.

PS: don't forget Diablo or whatever his name is...

#1449 Sanctity, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    gfab-babyboi likes this.
  10. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Clyde Drexler agrees.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, I believe there is stuff that messes with a guy's head out there. I see it with Harden and EGO when they aren't getting the calls they deserve. I just don't buy that excuse for what I saw on the floor last night. Not playing hard, not busting their butt on defense, and not fighting for any offensive rebounds with all the misses surely didn't wouldn't be a way to make Westbrook look good.

If our whole team was affected that bad psychologically over trying to give Westbrook his glory, then we have more problems than I thought we did already, from skill, size, and strength defecits.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

Okc is a good team with good players. In their recent hot stretch they beat the Nets, Spurs, Raptors, and Clippers.

The Rockets team know what happened, lot of things been pointed out, I'm not going to pile on. On the positives: was glad to see Rivers wasn't seriously injured. He looked alright closing the fourth.

Clemons is still instant offense; turning garbage time into clemonade. Would like to see him more; in future games where the layup drives and the threes not falling, he could be the difference.

D-rock likes this.
  13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Here we go...

14. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Is it possible to replace Rivers in the rotation with Clemons? Although Austin is a solid man to man defender, his shooting is suspect at best, and his finishing at the rim is pretty brutal. Don't get me started on hit free throw shooting either.

My main concern is with height, defense, and rebounding. Maybe that can be mitigated somewhat if he's playing in bigger lineups with House, Tucker, and Capela rather than having a 5 man unit including 5'9'' PG and a 6'6'' center.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Harden needs to ditch the cornrows and the headband.

MDA has to figure out that there are more than 7 players on the bench, and that he clearly needs help figuring out how to use the players he has. That, or retire.

Morey needs to get some length that can defend, shoot from deep, and isn't 22 years old. We clearly need that, badly.

Tilman needs to open his ****ing pocketbook.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sounds like you are mad at Harden...again.

I know you love Russ, but think about it, without Harden there is no Russ on the Rockets.

Without Harden, CP3 does not agree to be traded to Rockets.

Without Harden, Roxkets are no the winningest team of last 5 seasons, behind only GSW.

Without Harden, Houston has one less MVP and no 3 time scoring leader.

Without Harden, there is no Rocket who has lead in assists.

Harden has his flaws but the expectations for him to perform to preternatural levels every single game (high usage, high minutes, no load management) night in and night out are ridiculous.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

like i told that great human with the screen name YOLO, fact is we played back to back on an 8 man rotation hurt us. House and tucker have not been playing well lately combined with the fact that they played loose and not focused with wesrbrooks big night. When I use the word throw a game this is what I mean is they weren’t intentional on winning. They weren’t intentional in playing their game instead their minds are elsewhere.

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. I don't blame Harden for that game at all. He had a bad game, but everyone else except Russ and Clemons in garbage minutes did too. If Harden had stayed in, and proceeded to take another 20 shots, then I would have put some of the blame on him, but certainly not blame the loss on him.

I criticize Harden a lot because it frustrates me when a guy so talented can be so selfish and lazy at times. It frustrates me when he forces too many bad shots when the guys around him are having a great night and he isn't. I get frustrated with him when he doesn't bother hustling back on defense. I get frustrated when he dribbles dribbles dribbles the leather off the ball. Some of that I blame our coach for too though.

With all that negative criticism, I absolutely love James when he plays smarter and with more effort. I love his brilluant passes at times, or his amazing shots from behind the arc. I love his durability. I love that he is a good man, and not some bully dirty mean cheat, pumping PEDs. Those traits make him undeniably great. Nobody on our team, has allall those traits. Nobody. James is special, and I acknowledge and appreciate that. I also feel he has dedicated the best part of his career to us, unlike many team swapping guys. I love his dedication to making H-Town his home. Thank you James. You are the biggest and most important piece in making us Champions. Nobody in this league has given their team as much as you have given us for so many years.

Yes, I like Russ. He is all hustle and heart. You can't deny he gives it all. That means a lot to me. He is the only one who can drive it in to the rim and score every game. He is so fast it blows my mind. I think he and James are the perfect mix of strengths. I love them together. Do I defend Russ taking more than a couple 3 pt shots a night? Absolutely not. That is his weakness.

Russ and James are special. Everyone else is expendable. We have lots of great guys, who I really like, but their offense really isn't enough to make up for their lack of defense. As much as I would hate to lose anyone, we really need to address that gaping hole in defense and lack of skill around James and Russ. Last night exposed our weakest links.

#1458 deb4rockets, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yolo, that you? LOL

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...o-bounce-back-after-blowout-loss-14966147.php

“We just don’t want to compound it and keep losing,” Harden said. “Get back to do what we do. Get back to our running basketball, which we will do.

“From the beginning of the game, we just didn’t have any legs. We didn’t have an extra mojo. It can be like that. Eighty-two game season. Chalk this one up. Get some rest. Be ready to go Saturday.”

There are issues, potential red flags that need to be addressed even if Harden can regain his usual offensive brilliance to cover up problems. He could not in Atlanta and Oklahoma City after his dominant first quarter. Since that burst coming out of the four-day break in the schedule, Harden has made 8 of 42 shots, 3 of 24 3-pointers. His 17 points against the Thunder were his fewest of the season.

“I think he’s just out of rhythm,” Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni said. “It happens sometimes. If you have a list of worries, that’s probably my least worry. He will be fine.”

That would seem a safe bet. Though D’Antoni held Harden out of the fourth quarter Thursday, he said there are no health issues. He does, however, have other reasons for concern.

His starting forwards are not scoring. Danuel House Jr. has made 8 of 30 3-pointers in his six games since the Rockets got back from their four-game road trip. P.J. Tucker has made 1 of his past 16 3s.

The Rockets’ rotation has shrunk, with D’Antoni hesitant to call on his young players Isaiah Hartenstein and Chris Clemons, almost never playing his most veteran players Tyson Chandler and Thabo Sefolosha, and no longer having Gary Clark around at all.

That leaves just eight players when the Rockets are at full strength, but Eric Gordon missed Thursday’s game with knee soreness that D’Antoni said was expected as he works his way back after knee surgery. Center Clint Capela has continued to battle pain in his right heel the Rockets had hoped would end during the four-day layoff.

“Clint has his foot issue,” D’Antoni said. “We’ll see Saturday if he can go or not, but it’s been lingering. He can’t quite get it away yet, so we’ll see.”

As with Gordon sitting out Thursday, Capela’s difficulties against the Thunder could have increased because of the back-to-back. Though there is little time between that late game and Saturday’s early tip, the Rockets have two off days before playing Tuesday in Memphis to start another back-to-back. The Rockets have lost their past three games when playing the second game in as many nights.

“This is one of the tough parts of the schedule,” D’Antoni said. “A couple guys banged up a little bit. But we’ll just get through it. It’s part of the NBA. We’ll have to work our way through it.

“We didn’t play well. We have a game Saturday at 4 o’clock.”

“We’ll be fine,” Tucker said. “It was a tough back-to-back. Tough game for us. We could never find a rhythm. Missed a lot of open shots. It was one of those games, man. Flush it down. Move on to the next one.”

IvanLCPM, smp, Deckard and 2 others like this.