1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Suns 10/13/2015 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 13, 2015.

1. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

What is an example of a 3 year D League player that makes it to an NBA team that is anything other than a roster filler? If a year in the D League doesn't make the game slow down for a rookie then I don't think another 2 years will help.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Capela boxes out, he will become a consistent rebounder.

3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

He hit 2 of his 4 Jumpshots. Nailed both his 3s. Had great perimeter D by closing in and contesting 3pt shots forcing misses, made all his lay ups, and stole the ball with 1 on 1 on-ball defense. Basically shredding all the things that one guy that I ignored but everyone quotes whines about in spam volume.

Go ahead with your bad self, TJ. It's going to be a loooooooooooooooong sad sorry season for all the TJ haters on Clutchfans. #suckstosuck

4. basketballholic

What I said was,

You can continue to point to a meaningless pre-season game against an opponent's bench scrubs as proof positive that Terrence has turned some kind of magical corner. He hasn't. I gave him as much credit as possible.

But.....the things we need him to do...which is defend, rebound, and shoot the 3..........he simply cannot do. He couldn't dominate the glass in that meaningless game last night against a bunch of scrubs. And his defense was non-existent. Yeah, he knocked down 2 of 4 3-balls. Blow that up and make it big. But it's the same stroke. He got lucky on one shot. If he misses that shot he's 1 for 4...which is basically what he is from 3 on a volume of shots.

Keep twisting and torquing though. It'll help you keep your dream alive.

I was encouraged by Capela's FT stroke. I saw something positive in it. However, the first thing I pointed out about Capela's game was he was doing it against essentially backups. Capela is a legit 7-footer. He's got size, hops, and the skill set (that still needs to be developed further) to be a paint stopper and a dominant rebounder. Terrence does not. Sorry. Terrence is NOT a paint stopper and NEVER WILL BE. And Terrence is not a dominant rebounder and NEVER WILL BE. Capela has potential to be both. I pointed out how good he was getting up and down the floor when he was the one out there with the greatest responsibility to defend the rim and control the glass. Especially when playing alongside Terrence who was essentially standing around defensively and looking for opportunities off opponent shots to get back down early and get his mits on the ball.

You see, we don't need nor want Terrence for that. We want Terrence to defend, rebound, finish, and shoot the 3. Terrence gave us nothing on the defensive end and simply looked for opportunities to get the ball early and catch the defense asleep so he could get off some shots in the paint himself...against subpar backup players, some of whom aren't even NBA material.

Believe what you want. I knew exactly what was going to happen this game. Capela is a player going into his second NBA season and has played very few minutes up to this point in his career. The kid broke out in last year's playoffs. I think his role is critical to our success since he's the only player on this roster capable of controlling the paint and the glass when Dwight sits. And frankly, I am watching him close and looking for possible regression from his break out. I want to see that his breakout in the playoffs is for real. I am still not completely sold on him and that's why I keep advocating getting a 3rd 7-footer who is a paint protector/rim defender/dominant rebounder in case Capela does regress or him or Dwight gets dinged.

These are my thoughts while watching the action. The truth is there wasn't hardly anything that could be taken out of this game, either positive or negative because so many of the main guys on both teams were not playing. It was less than meaningless if that's possible.

5. Handles

Handles Member

Lulz. Drop it already.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hahahaha these at bats. Atrocious...

7. bmd

bmd Member

Sure you did.

8. bmd

bmd Member

First of all.. keep my dream alive? I don't have a "dream" of Terrence Jones being a great player if that's what you mean. I simply do not hate on him at every moment like you do. I think D-Mo is better than Jones at this moment.

But give him some credit when he does well. He had a good game. You can't even acknowledge it.

I don't know what your deal is with him, but you hate on him hard for some reason. You have some kind of issue with him that goes beyond just thinking he's not a good player. There are a lot of players in the NBA that aren't good and have been a lot of players on the Rockets who weren't good. But you irrationally hate on Jones for some reason. I don't know what your issue is, but it's odd.