1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 5/1/2017 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 28, 2017.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

What's the last boring win we had against the Spurs? X-Mas Day 2013? That first regular season game in 2014-15 doesn't count since Pop rested half the damn team.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Going to be a tough one. Spurs won't beat themselves. Rockets will have to hit some shots and play excellent defense for 48 minutes.

Chanmarr likes this.
  3. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I found this on SBNation's Pounding the rock after game 6:

Judging from this, our shooters should have a field day!

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

The only thing I'm concerned about is not having home court advantage. On top of that there's too many Spurs fans in Houston........................

5. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

Did I hear that Gordon and Harden are in the Bahamas? I know there is a musical festival there right now thrown by Ja Rule, which is supposedly a disaster. If they are out there for a festival, is that the smartest thing to be doing right now?

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ryno and Ariza need to step it up on taking the shots from behind the arc. This is playoffs, and 3 makes in 4 games each just won't cut it against the Spurs. Time to step in up, take the shots, and quit throwing the ball back to James like it is a hot potato. If Bev and Lou keep shooting at .409 from behind the arc then they really need to take more of those shots, and Harden needs to quit taking twice as many as everyone else. James does NOT need to take 50 shots from behind the arc in this series like he did in the last series. That could be the difference maker!!!!! He was a ball hog from behind the arc, and only shooting at .240. That is not in our best interest. I want to see him drive it in more, and leave the 3pt shooting to our better shooters. No ISO ball, and no "see how many 3's I can take" type of play is best for our team.

This is when our guys need to play to their strengths, and play as a team. Go Rockets!!!!

7. ribbit

ribbit Member

Epic beard versus braid battle.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

D'Antoni said in the postgame after Game 5 that the players were gonna get Wednesday and Thursday off and then they'd practice today through Sunday. As long as they're back in town and ready to prepare for the Spurs, let them get a little R&R. Just keep them away from Ryan Anderson's trash can.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a major road game - won't be boring

Bring out the drums and trumpets

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I bet the series will end on a high note with role players doing work.

EGordon, Lou, Nene vs Parker, Gino, David Lee, Pau Gasol

ribbit likes this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This is a tough match up. The Spurs can play both big and small, either pounding it inside or making it rain from deep. They have a solid wing defender in Green and a DPOY in Kawhi that can also drop an efficient 25ppg. I thought that going iso heavy would hurt their team, but he is just amazing.

The key to beating the Spurs will again be our bench. Our starting frontcourt will be abused, it's up to Lou, EGo, and Nene to own their second unit as much as possible. This team is on a whole other level than OKC, so everyone needs to play well. If Anderson disappears again this series won't even be competitive.

Chanmarr likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wait . . . no Westbrook?? :(

Gorki, TracywtFacy, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  13. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

You know Khawi and Harden are gonna cancel each other out. Key is for Lou to out play Patty, and for Ariza to outplay Green. If we do that we win game 1.....112-103

14. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Road Ryno happens and Rockets win!

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. tbw914

tbw914 Member

What game do y'all think we have a better shot at winning? The first or second

16. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Win it for Mike! I don't think D'Antoni can take losing to the Spurs again.

17. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

i hope we beat them... im annoyed with all these Houstonians rooting for the Spurs.

18. rockets13champs

possible defensive lineups for us?

Capela on Lee/Gasol
    He must be able to defend midrange and be disciplined in the paint and not foul.
    Ryan Anderson on Lamarcus
    Force him onto perimeter and stop him from backing down into the paint
    Ariza on Kawhi
    Pretty much wear him down much like Bev did last series.
    Dont worry too much about offense bc Gordon, Harden, Lou, Anderson got it.
    Harden must defend Green, Ginobli, Mills, Simmons, Bertans. Force them into midrange shots keep ginobli out of paint
    Bev on Parker/Ginobli
    Parker was super effective vs Conley, You pretty much have to wear him out same way you defended westbrook
    I have no doubts Bev can shut down Parker

Hardens offense comes into play in the defensive end, if he works kawhi in the paint and gets him to 3/4 fouls early. He would have to play less physical

all in all there is no way to stop kawhi, we can only tire him out and force the spurs to strictly only rely on him with no other options. Force Kawhi into a passer.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Don't worry. When the Rockets beat the Spurs they will say "This win proves why Westbrook is the MVP". It's a media conspiracy...or so I've been told.

heypartner likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well that's a relief