1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 12/7/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 6, 2012.

1. peter2012

peter2012 Member

You wrong this time.

1. We lose.
    2. Its all Harden's fault. Iso hero ball.

Harden's Assist>5. we win.

2. conquistador#11

if our back court shoots 5/ 10000 again, we will get blown out. I think it's a game that will come down to the wire though, with the spurs getting some home cooking from the refs at the end.

3. Luca

Luca Member

No one can stop Parker but Parker himself.

4. rockets137

rockets137 Member

Hear you bro ...
    Might need other teams to root, maybe SAS ? uuups ... :grin:

5. Luca

Luca Member

It will be a tough one for the Roxx.

6. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I said if nobody is able to stop Duncan, why not give TJ a chance. IMO, TJ is much better defender than PP. I'm a Kentucky fan and watched every one of their college games. And did you see last few times Lin played Parker? He got burnt so hard by Parker mainly because Duncan is a very good screen setter. TD is smaller and should be able to fight through screen easier. Not saying he should get more minutes than Lin but he should be there before Parker gets it rolling.

7. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

TJones maybe better than PP but he has no experience yet when it comes to defending players especially a future hall of famer. But i do agree with your post regarding Douglas.

8. rocketsmetalspd

Let Parker get his, just don't let the others get going. Outside shots are what make the Spurs deadly, especially that corner 3.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

looking forward to getting another look at Greg Smith. Who'll have his big boy pants on tonight: Douglas? Smith? Pat? Parsons? Morris? Delfino?

...every night it seems like a different player steps up. It's a fun team to watch.

10. torocan

torocan Member

If you do that, Douglas will get absolutely torched.

Douglas has slightly faster lateral movement in terms of being an on ball defender which makes him a better match up against the handful of PG's that are quicker than Lin, but NOT against PG's who use the Screen well.

Douglas is HORRIBLE at fighting over the screen, especially Hard screens set by stronger bigs. If you go back and look at games, he literally BOUNCES off hard picks and screens and ends up on his butt.

Parker can beat a lot of players off the dribble, but Lin's ability recover after a blow by as well as his ability to funnel PG's into bad positions and into our Bigs will be far more important than the slight loss of lateral quickness.

The biggest problem will be Tim Duncan (we have Nobody that can match up effectively in the post -- but who does?) and their perimeter (3 point) shooting.

Our defense will be questionable as usual, so the way for us to win this I suspect will be Pace plus 3 scoring. We need to run a TON of possessions, rebound, run it fast (they aren't spring chickens), and shoot a LOT.

If we turn this into a fast paced scoring contest, I think we can win, especially if we push a lot of 3 pointers. Tim Duncan is one of the best post/rim defenders in the game, so I don't think we can count on a lot of help from Asik on the scoreboard.

So, our game should start with pace, shooting and transition, and if we get defensive stops that's a bonus.

The fact is our defense is one of the worst in the League, so let's toss any illusions of "shutting down" Duncan or Parker. Pack the paint, close on perimeter shooting, don't foul them too much, and take it to an old fashioned shoot out.

11. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I wonder which team we'll see tonight - the one that steam-rolled the Knicks, or the one that came out mentally unprepared to face a short-handed Lakers squad?

12. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Harden finally pulls out of his slump and go HAM. Rockets win by 3. Later, he'll probably check out one of those SA strip joints and rain some tortilla chips on them girls with high goals for their future.

13. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I think Sampson should send the starters home and start Toney, Mook and Greg.

14. rzorocks

rzorocks Member

Greg for 30 pts.

15. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I agree with you that Lin is better at recovering after getting blown by but you can't be serious that Lin is good with Duncan's screen. Watch any previous game Lin vs Spurs. Lin could not get through Duncan. I don't know about TD but think he has better chance since he's smaller.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Danny Green (hamstring) and Patty Mills (ankle) both made it through shootaround unscathed. Team calls both probable for tonight.</p>&mdash; Jeff McDonald (@JMcDonald_SAEN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/277092066490716161" data-datetime="2012-12-07T16:47:51+00:00">December 7, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. pnr

pnr Member

Harden v Ginobili will be interesting. Ginobili has been struggling this season but he has had a positive impact for the Spurs.

18. torocan

torocan Member

The whole point of a screen is to pick off the defender.

Lin had a hard time getting past screens in general LAST season. He's improved considerably This season.

And look at Douglas off screens. Lin may have problems fighting over them, but he does get past them a decent part of the time. Douglas doesn't get past them AT ALL. Often, he'll just go Under the screen... which usually ends badly with players like Parker.

This isn't purely off the eye test, Synergy also confirms this.

Defensive PPP allowed Off Screens

Jeremy Lin - 0.25
    Toney Douglas - 0.40

Anyway, we'll just have to see what happens. I have no doubt we'll get to see Tony match up with Parker occasionally.

19. sidestep

sidestep Member

As regards the guards dealing with the screens, I get the sense that the team is not communicating well when blind-side screens have been set. There is no other way to explain that TD has gotten knocked to the ground by them several times, or that Lin has collided into them; they are not being alerted about them. It's hard to tell from the TV feed, but it seems like they don't do a lot of talking on defense out there.

20. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

good point - coaches need to emphasize this to players (Lots of luck).