1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 1/24/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

NBA.com Poll Results

Which player was the star of the night, Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2007?
    Tracy McGrady, Rockets 47%
    Amare Stoudemire, Suns 22%
    Andre Iguodala, 76ers 16%
    Chris Bosh, Raptors 15%

2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

All Spurs need to do is to acquire some solid players for their bench. They are basically getting nothing from Finley and Horry, etc.

I think they made some mistakes for getting those old legs for the last two years.

3. Sextuple Double

They were trying to get JR Smith last year, but the Hornets didn't want Brent Barry. Now they were on the verge of getting Corey Maggette, but Spurs decided not to because Barry is their only player giving them bench production.

4. kkuu

kkuu Member

I can't believe it, great win.

5. zong

zong Member

A gerat win, Rafer played very smart, hoping he can contiune his playes like this.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Wade and Kobe have missed a few games too, and neither has done as well as T-Mac in leading their teams to winning records without the 'other' star player...Of course, Yao is better than Shaq and Odom put together, so in reality we're missing a lot more than either teams.

That being said, G-Money and I think Kerr mentioned T-Mac as an MVP candidate before.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Getting solid bench players is much easier said than done. What do they have to trade? To acquire Maggette, who will they give up? I don't think the Clips are dumb enough to accept Bruce Bowen, who has steeply declined the last couple of years. Tracy abuses him now. And Beno Udrih? As a part-time Spurs fan, he makes me nervous.

The Spurs are in a bind this season unless they can pull a rabbit out of their hat (via trade). I agree the old legs are letting them down.

8. kkuu

kkuu Member

We can reach the title if we won the west. Absolutely.

9. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Was it my imgination or did Walton finally start to give our defense the props it deserves in this game? After that Pheonix comment in the last game he announced I was glad to hear it. Jon Barry is pretty much the shizzle, he challenges Walton on some of his exaggerated claims, why couldn't we snatched him up before he went to ESPN.

I think the Spurs are definitely starting to show some chinks in the armour. You can still pencil them in for the playoffs, but the depth of veteran players that has always been their mainstay is just starting to look like a bunch of tired vets. I'll never doubt Horry's ability to turn it on in important games, but it certainly did not look like they weren't able to just shut you down like they normally do. Haven't they built the roster so everyone but Duncan, Manu and Parker have their contracts expire next season? Man, they are just the best franchise in all of professional sports...I hate them so much!!

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think we can beat SA in a playoff series, and until now, that really wasn't likely. If the Rockets get to the Western Finals and actually beat the Mavs, they will never get over it, never. The Mavs psyche would be permanently damaged. The Mavs are on a mission and believe no one can stop them. They "must" have their redemption for last year. If they don't get it and the Rockets take it from them, it's over. They are probably not even worried about any team but the Suns.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Chuck has played without the knee brace for the last four games (I think). But kudos to your wife for noticing its disappearance. :)

12. johnrox

johnrox Member

did you see the heat game? the mavs were a bit psyched out, it was kind of strange to see actually. the mavs can be had, that game made them look fragile

13. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

we will def be better with yao...but you also have to know how our offense will change once yao is back. anytime a player is missing especially a superstar, someone else is taking those shots. so when yao gets back he has to be making those shots. i am guessin a week or two he will be a lil rusty. but hopefully he can adjust quickly.

14. Downtown

Downtown Contributing Member

This was a great game!! I can not tell you how rewarding it is as a Rocket's fan living in San Antonio to have beat the Spurs now twice at home in just over a month. I have attended at least half of the 17 previous Rocket loses to the Spurs at home dating back to 1999. I was there a month ago when we blew them out and loved being there again, this time 8 rows up from Center Court having an up close and personal view of us toughing it out and making clutch shots over Duncan, Manu, Parker, Bowen, Horry, Barry and Finley. I was very impressed with the whole team, most obviously with T-Mac, but also with Head(!!), Battier, Wells, Hayes, Howard and even Alston...

#654 Downtown, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've been to several Rockets/Spurs games in SA with my brother-in-law over the years, who has great season tickets, and I have to say that the Spurs fans have been as annoyingly loud and crazy as almost any you might find in the league. It's hard to shut them up. We've been shuttin' them up. :cool:

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

When was the Heat game, and who won? I have seen the Mavs play several times this year and they have looked anything but fragile. More like unbeatable. If the Rockets should knock them out the playoffs, I honestly don't think they could recover.

17. johnrox

johnrox Member

it was on sunday, the mavs won eventually, but even without shaq, the heat made it a VERY close game. wade gives them all sorts of problems, almost went into OT, and they needed every bit of stackhouse 20 something points that night mavs have looked unbeatable, so seeing this game was weird

18. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

That was an awsome win that will go a long way in building confidence for this team...5 game homestand should result in a 6 game win streak...that would put is 16 games over .500!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Very nice game last night.......

Have to give them credit where credit is due.

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per ndnguy85:

"we will def be better with yao...but you also have to know how our offense will change once yao is back. anytime a player is missing especially a superstar, someone else is taking those shots. so when yao gets back he has to be making those shots. i am guessin a week or two he will be a lil rusty. but hopefully he can adjust quickly."

I have been thinking of adjustments for when Yao returns. A more deliberate half court game will be to our advantage in the playoffs. Control of the ball and the clock will serve us well when Yao returns. I hope for a smooth transition and expect it.

Go Rockets!!!