1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Sixers 1/12/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 12, 2013.

1. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

its not negligible its very significant... but obviously they need other guys to perform well along with him

2. holly1985

holly1985 Member

I didn't check the box score but Asik has been really bad on the ft line for a while, right? Also Lin's ft shooting is worse than before. If he's going to drive constantly, he'd better hit those. The whole change of shooting form thing really starts to affect his fts.

3. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

We are going to play in their court. This is not a home game.

4. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

That's what splits are for. Holiday gets his numbers regardless of whether the Sixers win or lose, and there is no meaningful correlation between how well he plays and whether or not the Sixers win the game.

However, the fortunes of the Sixers seem to ebb and flow based on whether Evan Turner is playing well or not. A Sixers win or loss and Turner playing well or poorly is heavily correlated, as you can see in the split at the top of this page.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Tue 15 vs L.A. Clippers
    Toyota Center, Houston, TX

???

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yeah but teams tend to play a lot better at home. Rockets are 14-6. Last time they played a top opponent on a back to back at home was against the Grizzlies and they killed them.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

So you disagree and believe that 0.3 points and an extra assist in wins is not only significant but "very" significant? lol

Look at Evan Turner's split to see what significant looks like. It's right at the top of page 2.

8. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

So when a decision has to be made in a split second between them, should we double team Turner and give up on Holiday?

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

For the benefit of those who have not seen the Sixers play much this season:

Evan Turner is the team's secondary ballhandler and (if you ask me) is actually a far better passer than the turnover-friendly Jrue Holiday. Turner is kind of a "weird" player with no true position. The closest thing to call him would be "a point forward." He rebounds the basketball better than any guard-eligible player, and is a combined production type in the same vein as Chandler Parsons, hitting those points / rebounds / assists categories frequently. The success or failure of the Sixers has hinged not on Holiday, but on Turner's performances this season as he grows to become a vocal leader on that team.

10. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

It sounds like you don't understand how either player fits on the Sixers' team. BOTH are pick N roll ballhandlers. Turner has a deadly midrange shot and has developed a corner 3, whereas Holiday is a slicing guard with legit 3 point range, who occasionally slips into a two-guard shooter role with Turner on the floor.

But yeah clearly even as I type this, I must not know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

11. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Sorry. I thought you were referring to the Philly game tonight.

You're right. It's gonna be a home game for us vs Clippers.

And I also think we have a chance beating them, the Nuggets and Warriors have both recently done that at home. I think these three teams are very close in terms of offensive efficiency, but Warriors has a slightly higher defensive efficiency than ours.

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Shoot the Orlando Magic is currently tied at 95pts with 3mins left in the 4th qtr against the Clippers. I just don't see why fans think it's a foregone conclusion that the Rockets will get their ass whooped.

13. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

We will win!

14. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Since Asik is so poor at FTs recently, maybe the Sixers will do "Hack-a-Asik" to us? :eek:

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Probably because basketball doesn't work like how you described. "No better than the Orlando Magic" is not the new baseline for how good the Clippers are, and each game is a separate entity. If anything, the Clippers come out angry and focused against the next few teams they play--like the Grizzlies and Rockets.

16. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

of course i reffered to his performance that is whole 18 points which you called negligible not to 0,3:)

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Who's using that it like that? Losing to the lowly Magics at home just goes to show that the Clippers are beatable, playing back to back games is a disadvantage, and teams that play are home almost always play better than on the road.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

the sixers are like the opposites of the rockets. the rockets can get hot suddenly and score in a bunch. on the otherhand the sixers can go through these mini in-game shooting slumps where they can't make a single shot.

19. dchoye

dchoye Member

That strategy wouldn't work cause Omer rarely plays the final quarter at crunch time

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Will this game end by 8:45? Got called into work at 9..I'll be pissed if I miss the ending of a close game which I suspect this will be.