1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Raptors 3/9/2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I don't really care about this loss as much as the media does, but I'm still trying to figure out why CP3 didn't just make that point blank layup to tie the game, but instead went out to the 3 point corner shot under duress.

Now granted, if that 3 went in, I'm pretty sure we win that game. But you gotta play your best card, and CP3 is a layup god and he was literally point blank RIGHT THERE in front as if it was a layup drill, but decided to go out to the 3 point line, very much defended, instead of an easy 2 for the tie.

I will admit, as we all know, CP3 rarely has had any bad games this year, not just physically, but even mentally, but I will let yesterday pass. I just wish he hit that layup, or even attempted it, because he could have even got fouled for an and1 situation. He was literally right there!

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

I’m much more concerned with cp3’s offense. He’s been struggling for a while now.

He doesn’t drive to the rim nearly enough like harden. If his mid range shot isn’t going in, then he’s going to have an off night.

I’m concerned that he’s beginning to show his age.

RyanB likes this.
  3. lionaire

lionaire Member

I know we've truly made it as an elite team when people start freaking out after the first loss in 17 games.

nomiz1987, RocketWalta, RyanB and 4 others like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe only 4 years and not the SUPER MAX?

DD

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

My clipper buddy said that CP3 looks even better this regular season than last years. Mentioned CP3 is like Lebron. Really turns it on come playoffs. We are going to get Playoff Chris soon.

RyanB, mario_v and LorneMalvo like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not worried in the least. Who else is "available" that you are going to pay that money to that will augment Harden's game? Do we also factor in CP's ability to get role players like Moute and Tucker to take less to join the team? That's 5 more years of recruiting.

The goal for Morey is to "maximize" James Harden. CP brings a lot to the table to fill in the cracks where Harden's game comes up a little short. There is great value there.

Big picture.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Contracts are paid not on ability but on the market.

DM will gladly pay CP the max to help augment Harden's game in his prime and help with player recruiting.

Big Picture.

Also "today's game makes me wonder" LOL at that statement. 1 game? How about the games when the Rockets were 33-1 with CP, Harden, Capela playing? I mean c'mon.

Are we not smart enough to easy up on the knee jerk? I guess not.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Raptors did the same Spurs playoff defense agains the Rockets. Problem was the Rockets didn't attack it like they should until it was too late. The below article is a good read on it.

For the Rockets to counter they just need to run this ******* play over and over and over again with CP not hesitating on these jumpers. Hell Westbrook feasts off these plays and he isnt that great a shooter.

[​IMG]

This is a good read.

RyanB, Crashlanded19, Voltik and 2 others like this.
  9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

What are you guys talking about ? Did you not see how much Paul drove on Bledsoe?

When James and Paul started to quickly get shots up they were going in. Paul is too scared to just go up with the ball sometimes like he could have on that last play.

I’m honestly not mad. Look at how many things went wrong from rotation, to how hot they were, to stubborn mda, no ryno or Wright to rebound and almost won the game.

If this streak would have reached the twenties and something happens later in the playoffs people will be always say oh look houston is on another meaningless win streak...

aroundtheblock2 and RyanB like this.
  10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

It’s a good article, but that D didn’t work for a half. It worked for one quarter.

A quarter in which they shot 71%.

But I agree with all you said.

Deuce, RyanB, aroundtheblock2 and 2 others like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly

12. threepointshot3

Not to mention if you don’t pay him you will piss off Harden who recruited Cp3

13. rockets13champs

We are a ISO heavy team. U can’t beat a solid defensive team. But if 3s are falling we can beat these type of teams.
    I’m confident in beating any team. Even tho pelicans and raptors only 2 that gave us fits

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Net negative by +/- while on the court but there are so many factors (who else is on the court for us being the main one) the +/- on any player on any night is not a very reliable measure. I always look at +/- because I find it interesting but I don't put a lot of stock in it when so much relies on who else is playing (on both teams). I'm not sure he was a net negative last night regardless of +/-. As you said, he came in and gave us quick scoring when we needed it the most and when every other player (apart from EG) was too scared to shoot the three ball. That was huge. He's a player that excels under pressure and plays better than his average when it matters most. And that's what he did last night though he didn't have a chance to do too much of it.

RockingRox likes this.
  15. Batman Jones

The message from last night was a reminder that you miss every shot you don't take. Wasn't a matter of 3's not falling; was a matter of them not attempting them.

RockingRox, RyanB and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. Batman Jones

The Houston Rockets don't do that kind of thing. And it's great that they don't. If Rockets put the game away early Harden will get more rest. But we don't do like the Warriors or Spurs that way. We're too hungry for that. We never sit guys for rest except for Nene who absolutely needs it in order to contribute. And I'm proud that we don't. There's also the matter of people paying a lot of money to see star players play. Other teams sit their stars when they don't have to; we don't do that and I'm so glad we don't.

We need every remaining game to prepare for the playoffs. Not to rest up for them, but to prepare by playing together as many times as possible. The 'easy' games are often harder than the 'hard' ones because no player has trouble being motivated against a great team and almost every player struggles to be motivated against a bad one.

In past seasons, Rockets lost a lot of games they shouldn't have for that very reason. That's one of the major improvements we've made this year. We don't play down to competition as in the past. It's human nature to do it some, but we do it less than ever before it seems to me.

Along with vastly improved defense and way less turnovers than in past years, taking every opponent seriously is a thing that has been a gigantic improvement from past years to this one.

If I'm coach I'm not sitting anybody for rest (Nene always an exception). Anything can happen on any night in the NBA and the 1 seed will be hard to hang onto.

Are you sure you want to risk the 1 seed to give Harden rest against Dallas? I sure don't.

BMoney likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think this is a very important read. This is the only way to avoid falling into a deep hole like 32-16. Harden and Chris need to attack by driving throughout the entire quarter, if the 3 is not there. Chris can take the mid range shot too, and so can James. We don't have a front court stud like Embiid to go to. Break down the opposition defense and dish the rock to the other players or get to the hole by themselves. Chris and Harden have maximum energy in the 1st quarter, so even if they are tired to start the 2nd quarter the tone will be set, then the rest of the players can play their natural game. If either Harden or Chris get in early foul trouble, then Gordon should attack the basket if the 3 is not there, and pass as best as he can. Don't worry about turnovers. The opposition will come under pressure, and start making mistakes. Setting the tone is more important. A collective effort to crash the boards at least on defense, needs to be made from the beginning. Anderson isn't a stud, but he can prove to be useful, when he is healthy. No JJ until someone gets hurt, or if they get in serious foul trouble. Green should get minutes too, but he mustn't settle only for jumpers either.

Houstunna likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think if Chris had been a bit more aggressive throughout the game , then we would have won . But , looked like he was low on energy .

In the end , I'd rather have energy in the playoffs than in reg season .

Rox11 likes this.
  19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I can't believe there isn't more discussion about the lack of execution on the last play. This is a known weakness for Dantoni and we have to be crisp and detail oriented during key possessions. This was a rare chance to "practice" this in a pressure situation. Besides that, considering this was a scheduled loss, I feel great!

saleem likes this.
  20. OTMax

OTMax Member

MDA definitely failed in:
    - not even seeing if Green would’ve had it tonight. We desperately needed anyone to make a 3. Of course he likes to stick to his tight rotations
    - waiting until the 7 minute mark in the 4th to bring back Harden and only play him 33 minutes. This was one of those games Harden was needed to win it for us and he was feeling it!
    - not having a strategy against this team and similar defenses and when things don’t go our way. Need more ball movement to mix it up with iso possessions pick and roll plays or it will get ugly in the postseason
    - that last play

saleem and Batman Jones like this.