1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Raptors 3/9/2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 8, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

This was a pathetic effort for most of the game and just very weak display by CP3 and most of our players when we got down. We looked flabbergasted, shocked, and just choked. So many mistakes, so many missed defensive assignments, no boxouts, nothing. Then on offense, oh my, quick threes, waiting for CP3 or Harden to get open where we sometimes had 2 guys near them for a screen. We just made the court so small and kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Also, how many drives did I see where guys didn't look to finish / just go for the lay-up and forced a kick out which lead to a steal for the Raptors, a worse shot and guys were also not even in position to catch the ball.

If this is how we respond to a play-off type atmosphere and tough defense I have very little faith. Only Tucker matched their physical play. Capela was hustling and Harden was solid. Ariza was fine too, but mainly CP3 and Nene were a huge letdown. I don't know how it came so close, because we played like it should've been a blowout loss. Also, letting their shooters get wide open shots, not putting a body on them, in particular Lowry is inexcusable.

For those who saw the game, you know this was a play-off type game where the Raptors threw us off and we didn't play our game. We didn't force our will upon the game due to not coming out ready in the first. I'm not too worried about the loss itself and couldn't care less about the streak, but the fact we played like this in a play-off type game, is a legit concern.

The Raptors play much more versatile and I wish we could play like them, regardless of the best iso ballers and highest efficiency which is skewed due to our crazy high production from 3 and having Harden & CP3. Their style is more likely to pay off come play-off time than ours. We need to look at our transition game too, because fast break opportunities were blown and we rarely get a good shot on a fast break. Only some lucky threes.

One last thing, how Van Fleet embarrassed CP3 in the backcourt and bothered our drives to the basket was kind of sad.

#1901 OTMax, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  2. BigO

BigO Member

Raptors beat us twice, everyone be like, but they will suck in playoffs, our players (Cp3/Capela and etc) did not show up and this and that, the good ol' lets **** on everyone even when they beat us song keeps on going. People can't wrap their heads that other teams can beat us/be better/and etc.

Maybe Rockets would sweep Raps in finals, but who know, gives props where its due.

sew, Lawlruschang and daywalker02 like this.
  3. theh

theh Member

lol shut up

Lawlruschang likes this.
  4. mathor

mathor Member

lost against a very good team - best in the league @Home - after 17 wins, and 3 tough games on the road...
    what the F*** are you talking about? We came back and even tied the game, playing with good effort.
    We can't win every game and this is an acceptable loss

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt that it is the best we have seen from either team.

Both teams had a busy schedule lately.

sew and rocketsmetalspd like this.
  6. theh

theh Member

Man if CP3 busted that corner 3 at the end ... that would have been an incredible game/win.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love the fan reaction on this shot - you can literally see about 1/3 of Raptor fans put their hands on their head

8. Raz

Raz Member

Let's do this again...

[​IMG]

RCPM, RocketsTerps, bro2044 and 5 others like this.
  9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Nothing to see here. The Warriors were blown out by Portland. At 51 - 14 & Still the NBAs top record, this season has been a helluva lot of fun! ENJOY IT!

bro2044, Jake Tower and BigShasta like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they played incredible, we played weak except Harden, and still got dozen opportunities to win the game despite refs giving them some bs calls( that crutial foul on cp3 when players were rolling on the floor fighting for the loose ball was ridiculous)

what i like the most in recent games is ariza who is looking to (dribble) drive to the rim and he is doing it successfully... rested ariza is becoming fun to watch..its seems he is dribbling now more skillfully as well

when ariza and ryan put it on the floor this is the best team in basketball ever

slothy420 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

WOW

bro2044 and Jake Tower like this.
  12. 1234567

1234567 Member

What, they were supposed to win out?

That's impossible and this is the way to lose.

Against top competition, at their place, and still have chance to win at the end.

I know this sounds weird but they could have used Anderson but he was out. Not saying he would win them the game but Rockets needed his size and you never know.

Warriors lost too. Curry out but Rockets did have big stretch earlier was lots of injuries.

13. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

they had a guy pressuring the ball handler up the court for most of the game. Other teams have tried this too, for example the celtics did it. Perhaps this throws off our offense a little cause we have less time on the shot clock.

Another thing, there was a possession near the end I thought Harden made his move too late into the shot clock, it didn't give him any opportunities to back out in case his move was going to fail so he could at least try again or find someone for a better shot

Jake Tower likes this.
  14. csc177

csc177 Member

Having said all that we still had a chance to win. We played like crap, yes. They played great especially early on - Lowry was 5-5 (3-3 from 3pt) give me a break already. They were up to ending our streak, we tried to turn the switch on a little too late. I’m not worried. This team is different than previous years. I just hope they don’t make me eat crow come June.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

A day later, I'm absolutely fine with this loss.

We played a terrible first half and then played catch up the rest of the way. I'm proud that we fought back and made it a 2 point game in the final minute of the 4th quarter.

Harden silenced all doubter about his MVP with the 40 point performance and carrying his team back into it. If only Paul made that layup under the basket to tie or Tucker hit the wide open three, then we would have had this game.

Still, this is great for team building overcoming adversity and learning from it. This team has no quit -- sign of championship caliber.

Finally, props to Raptors and especially ex-Rocket Lowry for coming up with a elite performance. Raptors had their best game of the season.

However that said, in a potential Finals match there is no way the Raptors shoot lights out over 7 games especially if they have to play 4 on the road with Houston having home court advantage.

Onto to the Mavericks!

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You do realize how exhausted the Rockets are, right? This was bound to happen at some point. I'm still amazed it didn't occur last week when they went to face a red hot Jazz team without EG, Ryno, and Capela. In a way, I'm glad the streak ended. The Rockets are gonna have nothing left in the tank if they're spending every night trying to withstand an opponent's best efforts(even the tanking teams) because everyone wants to be the team to break the streak.

Granted, they're still gonna have teams gunning for them because they boast the best record in the league. But at least now it won't have an NBA Finals like atmosphere the way it did when they visited the Bucks and Raptors. They've got 17 games left in the season. Let's just start a new streak.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This is a terrible take.

Raptors don’t perform in the playoffs because they don’t have real stars.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly be too confident if I'm a Raptors fan after last night. Sure, they kicked ass in the first half, but look at how pathetic they were down the stretch. Basically it took a desperation fadeaway by DeRozan to save them from an epic collapse. The Raptors are notorious for tightening up and underperforming come playoff time. I don't know why this season will be any different. Having home court won't matter since this is also a team that loses the first game of the first round at home on a seemingly annual basis.

bro2044 likes this.
  19. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Did Harden get fouled on his last-second 3 pointer at the end of the game? It sure did look like it to me

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He did in the follow through.