1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Raptors 12/16/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Exel

Exel Member

I think he was critiquing the fact that Lin didn't recognize the game situation. He should have pressed Calderon after Delfino made that fade away instead of setting up to play a half court defense. With 24.7 seconds left on the clock, Lin should have tried to deny Calderon the ball instead of running back and letting Calderon get the ball so easily.

2. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

nothing ever happens. that's the point. no post game. no cuts. just high pnr drives and spot 3s on the wing.

when he gets the ball, they dont run pnr. he is a pnr type guy. so the only thing he can do is pass. against the spurs they gave him constant pnr as if he were harden. that turned out well for him vs a great team. that is the difference.

thats cuz everybody is camped behind the arc watching. however he plays well with bigs and always looks to feed them in the paint.

he needs pnr with a big who can finish and he needs to be decisive and selfish at times.

this kind of play wont work against good defenses and in the playoffs. every game where he was quickly doubled was a terrible game for the rox. the offense is lost out there. the same with games where their 3pt fg% is low. it leads to transition baskets and the rox suck with transition d.

3. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Linsanity to return @MSG :D

4. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Good analysis. I especially agree on Lin needing to make better decisions and being selfish sometimes is okay. Sometimes he takes forced contested fade away jumpers when trapped near the basket, and I cannot recall him making many of these this year...

5. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

not part of his game, his entire game. lin cant shoot very well. this is fact. they signed him knowing this fact. so why would anybody use him as a spot shooter?

6. Exel

Exel Member

In all serious, Calderon played a great game. He got 10 defensive rebounds and short of our guards boxing him out in the offensive side of thing, there wasn't anything we could do. Looking at his shot chart, all his shots were mid to long range jumpers, none were taken in the paint. He hit some contested jumpers and he missed some open ones. He also hit his free throws when they counted. As for his assists, a lot of them were him making the simple passes to the first options of set plays, from behind the arc, that resulted in open jumpers, lay ups or dunks. He got one or two assists off pick and rolls. Calderon just had one of those games, hats off to him.

7. TTNN

TTNN Member

Oh, sorry, I might get you wrong there. However, if you think Harden make an adjustment will not happen. (If I get you right this time.:rolleyes:)

Harden's iso play is effective now, but would not last long, that could only work as a bandage, but it got to change in the future, I don't know when though.

same thought, I don't think his sacrifice will be permanent either. Maybe longer time, but it just does not make sense to permanently change.

8. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Who us running PNR in Houston? Only Lin.

People say Harden also good at it, but I seldom see him finished one. He would fake to run across the screener but not actually do it almost all the time.

Also besides Asik, who has been coming up to do the PNR With Lin?

As the trend in the league is moving toward more PNR this season, as evidenced by Kobe scoring 28% ocher PNR compared with his ore iOS 12%, I have yet seen our coaches emphasized the PNR and actually include it into their game plan.

That is part of the reason why I have very low expectations for our coaches, both McHale and Sampson, for this season.

D'Antoni has a run and gun system that was never really successful in NY except during Lin's 'L....y' period. Camelo hated it, but I'd say what the Knicks doing so well has been what D'Antoni wanted for NY.

My point is, good or bad, excepted by the star players or not, the coaches need to have both an offense and a defense system.

So far this year, I have not seen either.

9. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

lin needs to stop picking up the ball and develop a floater. he gets blocked quite often. even before the knee, he just doesnt jump very high i guess? he has a quick first step and can beat you off the dribble that way, but if the lane closes he cannot finish at the rim cuz he relies on lay ups. d12 abused him because of this. he needs a consistent floater to finish deep and/or a stop and pop before the lane collapses.

10. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Sorry folks. I was using my iPad to type the last post but the autoprompt function of iOS is doing strange things to the spelling.

11. kozmo

kozmo Member

Lin doesn't shoot we'll, does harden because I'm pretty sure lins shooting percentage over the last 10 games is pretty close to hardens.

Perhaps Lin needs to shoot more?

12. jocar

jocar Member

Yeah because an MIT grad values overzealous, impatient teen tweets over 8 years of NBA experience and advanced analytics.

Instead of posting the exact same thing in every.single.post of yours.. "trade Lin to Lakers so we can be happy!""Mchale is racist!""Coaches want Lin to fail!"LOH this,LOH that", why don't you just put those quotes in your sig so you don't pollute every thread like a broken record. Damn, now I remember why I ignored you the first time.

13. pli777

pli777 Member

This whole using Lin to be a spot up shooter is as much as foolish as hiring D'Antoni to be the HC of the current lakers team.

14. jocar

jocar Member

Great 1st post! Welcome to CF...1st rep! :)

15. moetherolla

moetherolla Member

There is so much defending of Lin's game.

But one thing can't be denied.

When he is in there with Harden, Lin is the weak link in the starting lineup.

16. booster rocket

I do think the rockets need a legitimate shooting PG out there. However, we already have some good shooters on the roster. Problem is if they are all cold, we are done for if Lin cannot step it up. I too noticed ZERO decent picks for our guards out there. I always see lin almost getting clothes-lined out there by other teams, but the rockets' big men just absolutely suck at it. Must trade for a veteran big man to help the guards out or else this is a one and done year for lin i am afraid. However, i will give it till the end of the season to pan out or not. just a prediction for the new year....;)

17. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

with the ball? yes. catch and shoot? NO! put in TD for that, he's excellent at it. and harden is definitely shooting below what he's capable of. people dont care because he can eurostep his way to 16 FT. but this is not a winning strategy in the long run. in certain situations, in tight games? hell yeah! but mostly we see delfino bring up the ball and try to be kobe...

18. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Why don't you join me in watching the game again?

I began to feel something's wrong when Lin was working hard chasing Calderon everywhere and Calderon still scored. I wanted to find out if Lin's defensive skills were not good enough for Calderon.

Then I started to see those mysterious hands and bodies poking into his way and he was slowed down and falling behind.

Then I wanted to see clearly if those actions by Raptors would be called by the refs and it never happened.

The one that I saw most clearly happened around 1:15 left on the clock in the fourth quarter when number 6 (should be Anderson) stuck his arm out into Lin's way, and then he did it immediately again with his other hand to another Roxx player coming up to help guard Calderon. What a foul play!

I want to watch the game again on League Pass to find out exactly how many times deliberate blocking like this were committed by the Raptors in this game.

I hate to waste my time but thought maybe I could help bring this to the attention of our coaches so they could request foul called on them in the future.

A dishonest and unfair win by the Raptors!

19. me005

me005 Member

Missed the game and same old story - lost on the road. Our only wins on the road was the first 2 games. What went wrong? Not optimistic on tomorrow's game. :(

Game 1 to 10: Good defense, bad offense
    Game 11 to 20: Bad defense, good offense
    Game 21 to ?: Bad defense, bad offense

Keep reminding myself they are a young team. Be patient! :)

20. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

yes because he is reduced to standing around and handing the ball off