1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Raptors 12/16/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

Lin is going to do that, he's the kind of guy that looks at himself first. Most players in the league will have some disagreement with the system they're playing under. Not all players are willing to look at themselves first as the catalyst for change.

There are so many opinions on this board, some good some bad, some from really tenured members, so from newbies like myself (although I've followed the team for a decade now and used to be on Blinebury's board before he got laid off). I'm looking for tenured guys who actually spin things in a way that helps me respect their opinions, but too often I get turned away. Sidestep made a good point. Maybe as a more tenured member, your response could have been more welcoming.

2. Lostie

Lostie Member

I see him more as a Igoudala-type player. He's got a solid set of skills with a passable jumper. I'm not crapping on him at all. He's an incredible player that Morey picked up and will likely be at the center of the future moves we make. Just saying that part of the reason he's going to be so valuable as a trade-chip is his contract.

3. SPBR

SPBR Member

First post. Just wanted to offer a few observations:

1) Toronto, despite having one of the worse records, has a much better crowd than Houston. I'm not sure if that's the norm or if it's the Linsanity crowd coming out to support Lin or the haters coming out to watch him fail. Raptors getting off to a hot start and the blocks probably helped the crowd get into the game. I wish Houston crowd would show up and support the Rockets. It was sad to see empty seats on the Lakers and Celtics games.

2) Lin can't defend PGs all by himself. There was a single possession where Lin was screened 3 times by the same player while defending Calderon only to chase him down into another screen. It didn't help that Calderon was on fire off the screens (at least early on).

3) Screens aren't just for PNR. It also wears out their defenders. We set few effective screens. Even if Harden has a higher efficiency with ISO, set a few screens and then go to your ISO. Make your defender work a little.

4) People have to stop blaming Harden for the ISOs. Nothing else was happening. Lin gets the ball at times, but nothing happens when he dribbles around. His decision making in PNR is worthless with what Houston is running. He's playing like he wants out of the ASG. Some of Lin's passes are desperation passes and passes that don't exactly put teammates in position to score. Other players probably don't know what to do when Lin gets the ball. Often it's a few dribbles, Lin reads the defense and sees nothing so he hands it to Harden. Even though Harden wasn't making shots, Harden was bailing this team by drawings fouls while going to the basket.

5) When the defense sucks one time, it might be on the players, but when it sucks repeatedly, it's the coaches. The players don't seem like they are not trying on D. But due to inexperience, you see mental lapses like Lin allowing Calderon to get inbounds easily at the end of game and fouling possibly the worst guy to foul to stop the clock.

This is a young team. The coaches have to do a better job teaching and providing structure where player strengths are maximized and player weaknesses are minimized. Don't expect or hope the players to just figure it out.

1 person likes this.
  4. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Yes. The league's worst defensive team tends to make all-stars out of the most mundane players.

They ran high pick N roll action, mostly. Just like almost every other team in the NBA. It is a pick N roll league.

This might surprise you. (drum roll) High pick N roll action of their own. The difference was in the effectiveness.

I see. So you'd rather we compare the effectiveness of one team's high pick N roll vs. the effectiveness of another team's high pick N roll without actually mentioning the ballhandler's? Terrible.

I'll draw a picture then using crayons. We'll play charades. One point guard is an excellent distributor (nobody has ever accused Jose Calderon of not knowing how to pass a basketball) while the other leaves a lot to be desired.

5. TTNN

TTNN Member

Actually, that might not be fair to say to Harden though. yeah, both guys run same style and by themselves, they all could lead a team, however, Harden still come quicker and stronger at scoring. You just can not afford to lose that capability as a team.

When you fit both together, both of their production will drop before they found their chemistry. Rocket can not afford that. So they have to do it one by one, Lin will need play off ball, and gain his strength and play solid, then Harden will adjust. But, if Lin is not solid yet, Harden could not adjust otherwise we will lose. On the other hand, if Lin defer too much, then Harden need to go stronger which will go the other way. But if Lin stay too strong, then that will slow down Harden. It is not like you could draw a middle line, and both of them just go to that point, it is an balancing act need not only both of them to adjust, it also apply to the whole team, whom they should follow.

I think we see Lin struggle as it is very obvious, but we could also see that when Lin is on court, Harden's production slow down too. So when game is on the line, coach would simply sit Lin, and then Harden and the team don't need to think too much and just play..... iso or something, whatever it might work. I still don't think it has anything to do with TD's good game or Lin's bad game. Our coach just want to win that game, that's it.

I just feel very sorry for Lin, it is a very tough situation for him to be in, it is on him, but not totally controlled by him either. Got to be very tough. But if he survived, it will be really good for him.

6. nickg

nickg Member

Parsons fits perfectly on the team right now. Can score in several ways, doesn't need the ball and shooting 39% from 3. Also smart, can handle he ball well and is a good defender. Don't see how we could upgrade that spot.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

That is a highly accurate comparison. Igoudala might not be a team's highest scorer on a given night, but will produce in other ways to help his club. Such is Chandler Parsons.

8. Lostie

Lostie Member

Morey's plan is to acquire another "Foundational Player" beside Harden. Any trade to obtain such a foundational player will VERY LIKELY involve Parsons.

9. nickg

nickg Member

I agree, I think I missed part of that conversation. Outside of harden, he is easily the most valuable player we have. Hopefully that foundation comes at the 4 though, because I think the back court experiment is failing.

10. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

It sounds like you are saying I am inferring that Harden should make an adjustment. I am not saying that, and I don't think that will happen.

Also, the things you brought up are part of the dilemma they are facing. Currently the onus is on Lin to adjust. Unfortunately for him, it may require him to permanently sacrifice a part of his game, and take on even more criticism from onlookers.

11. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

This. When Lin plays, he infects the entire team to play better. When Harden, it seems like players just stand around to let Harden carry them. Everyone becomes passive. Lin encourages teamwork

12. rokit

rokit Member

but seriously, lin said he needs to find a way to play more like himself within the system. is that even possible? i don't think so.

13. Lostie

Lostie Member

You just described isoball. The coaching staff made a decision to ride Harden instead of running a run and gun offence. Not their fault, a lot easier to rationalize to future employees riding your only star on a young team.

14. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

There's alot of Asians in Toronto, and many of the Asians came out to support Lin. But generally speaking, Toronto has pretty good fans, we come out and have fun even if we are losing.

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I'd just settle for one penetrating wing who can recognize an open three point shooter and can kick the ball out to that teammate. I don't care who it is.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Its k. We always lose in Toronto its no big deal

17. conquistador#11

i think so, if finch takes over by next season. I don't expect the pocket square offense to expand to a full clipboard.:p
    kidding aside, it's still so early. plenty of time to make it work.

18. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

What a joke. There was 24.7 sec on the clock. Should he wait for Calderon to run the clock out? Or maybe wait for him to pass the ball to a lower % FT shooter? Stop parroting what you hear on tv and think a little.

19. Lostie

Lostie Member

It's the lackluster effort in a very winnable game that's bothering me. Our next games are pretty iffy too.

12/17 Rockets @ Knicks L
    12/19 76ers @ Rockets W
    12/22 Grizz @ Rockets L
    12/25 Rockets @ Bulls L
    12/26 Rockets @ T-Wolves W
    12/28 Rockets @ Spurs L
    12/29 Thunder @ Rockets L
    12/31 Hawks @ Rockets L

Not exactly an easy schedule to round out the end of the year.

20. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Lin could have beaten Calderon to the basket any time he wanted. There was a stretch when he did that. Even though the shots didn't fall, it create opportunities for others to score. Had he kept at it, the game could have been won.