1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Pacers 10/10/2013 in Manila, Philippines (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Normalus

Normalus Member

Working days, two games to miss live. That sucks.

2. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

haha touche'! Didn't even think about it like that.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Indeed, one of the most underrated vacation destinations in the world I think. Baguio is absolutely gorgeous, and I had a wonderful time in Alaminos (Hundred Islands) and Dagupan. And I haven't even been to Boracay yet -- white sand beaches, luxurious resorts, the works.

4. gengar

gengar Member

I can see that reasoning, defense is important, but Hibbert over Howard? wtf...

5. peter2012

peter2012 Member

Checked the paper today, why do they consider Philippines as pacer's home court and Taiwan as Houston's home court? Anybody knows? Is there anybody in pacer's team who is related to Philippines?

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

If you go to Rockets.com they have a downloadable Callander for iPhone, outlook & android. It gives you all games dates & times in whatever country you're in.

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!!!

7. SHOKI3

SHOKI3 Member

a lot of pacers fan i know is just george dick rider here in the Phil.

8. Roxs-Redemption

We are going to have to watch the game at 10:00PM.
    Hope you guys enjoy the game.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty good read on Bird's return to the Pacers. Especially enjoyed learning of his respect and long appreciation for Luis Scola.

today from Ken Berger @ CBS Sports:

"I never dreamed I'd be back, especially so quick," Bird said. "But I thought that's the best thing that I've done in a long time -- get away from it, refresh, watch the team play."

He is watching the team play in person now, watching his offseason handiwork take shape. So far, even the instinctively diffident Bird has to admit he likes what he sees.

After falling to Miami in six games in the 2012 conference semifinals, the team Bird left behind had succumbed to the Heat again -- one round and one game closer to the Finals. Bird watched it all unfold from afar and knew that the core he'd assembled needed help.

"When I was sitting there last year I was saying, 'Man, they need a stronger bench, a more consistent bench,'" Bird said. "Soon as I got back, I started pinpointing guys I wanted to go after."

Bird has never been one to trade draft picks; in the small-market reality in which he lives, they're too valuable. But with the Pacers so close to title contention, Bird deviated from his playbook and sent a first-round pick to Phoenix as part of a deal for Luis Scola.

"I've always liked Scola, always been after Scola," Bird said. "I made some calls knowing the price might be steep, but still feel like we got a good deal out of it."

Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard said the team doesn't plan another major move anytime soon, but said "we are always open for business" when addressing reporters today, including Michael Pointer of the Indianapolis Star:

"(Team president) Larry (Bird) has long admired Scola’s ability to rebound and score the ball," Pritchard also said. "We watched him last year with Phoenix. We always felt he would be a perfect person for us in terms of backing up (David) West and backing up (Roy) Hibbert, being part of our second unit and being a scorer on that unit."

Larry Bird, especially, has coveted Luis Scola for years, notes Mark Montieth of Pacers.com, and the opportunity to add his skills as a sub for front-court starters Roy Hibbert and David West, proved too juicy to pass up, despite losing a likely late first-round pick next year.

Man, I still can't get over the fact that Scola is gone. Forget being a backup, he'd be perfect as our starting PF next to Dwight.

Great pickup by Bird and the Pacers. Especially as a backup for West and Hibbert. Add Granger to their mix and they're stacked deep.

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Do you know why? I would have never thought Paul George was a hit in the Philippines.

11. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

4:30 am start for the west coast.

1.5 more sleeps :).

So pumped!

12. Job713

Job713 Member

7:30 am est -- just in time for the morning commute. Will listen to the audio via league pass.

Feel like the intensity will be up with all those excited fans!!

13. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Is it re-airing on CSN or NBATV later in the day besides 1:30pm?

14. Star

Star Member

Nah, Rockets will have home court in Philippines and SUPER home court in Taiwan.

Seriously, nobody besides hardcore NBA fans know that the Pacers exist.

Most people when hear about Indiana Pacers, they think that they come from India.

15. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

LOL! :grin:

But I wonder, why we did not play one game against local PH team? That would have given the local fans more to cheer on :)

16. Play07

Play07 Member

“@NBA: The @HoustonRockets run full speed scrimmage at #NBAGlobalGames practice in the Philippines @ Mall of… http://t.co/bKEU6Ogbf9”

17. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

idk if this has been answered already, but will they broadcast this game on 790? Or... because it's in a different country they won't lol. I'm on the way to campus at that time so it'll be cool to listen to the game while stuck in traffic.

18. jocar

jocar Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>VIDEO: Sports Desk exclusive with Indiana Pacers forward Luis Scola | Watch here: <a href="http://t.co/KI9zdJ1ReD">http://t.co/KI9zdJ1ReD</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBAGlobalGamesP&amp;src=hash">#NBAGlobalGamesP</a></p>&mdash; Solar Sports Desk (@SolarSportsDesk) <a href="https://twitter.com/SolarSportsDesk/statuses/387600665523937281">October 8, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> Interview with Luis

19. Play07

Play07 Member

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

It's times like these that someone needs to photoshop a J.R. bat signal that I can post.