1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Pacers 1/23/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 22, 2004.

1. junkmonkey

junkmonkey Member

The key will be Mark Jackson. During the first quarter and early second, we will have some up and down, but trail in scores. Then Mark will come and get Yao & Taylor involved. We will have a small lead by the end of the third quarter, then SF will lite up during the 4th, we will win by more than 10.

95 vs. 84 Rockets.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This game will be a better test for the team than the last game where the new NY Knicks whupped the old NY Knicks. It's midseason, and I expect to start getting a better handle on where this team is headed. Currently, they appear to be able handle average to below average teams just fine but stumble badly against teams at or above their level. Until they start putting multiple wins in against top-tier teams, I really can't conclude that they are making much progress.

3. Sane

Sane Member

Hmm, can anyone on their team really defend Steve or Yao?

Artest and O'Neal are great, but I feel Cato and JJ can handle them adequately.

Cat vs. the 38 yr old Reggie?

Yao vs.........Jeff Foster?

MoT vs Al Harrington?

Everything points to us winning, but I just get the feeling we won't be able to score much.

Unfortunately, I feel a loss coming on

Pacers 90
    Rockets 80

4. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

This is the 1st rockets game I get to go to in like 2 years! So they better play well. I would love for them to beat the pacers! Dont worry guys I am gonna represent Clutchfans, and if I have to take out any sorry pacer fans I will!!!!:D

5. Aemon

Aemon Contributing Member

I have this game marked as a loss on my Rockets pocket schedule, very much what the majority of the people on this forum
    think. Having said that though, I can't help but wonder about the volatile nature of an NBA game, the unpredictable night-in-night-out play of our beloved Rockets, and the ex-pacer factor(MJ) and think Hmmmmmmm....
    BTW, I am not Bill Walton :D
    So, as bold as a 3-year old I declare that if I were to waste a bet on this game tonight(I don't bet), I'd take the Rockets against the line. Rockets WIN!!!

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

The problem is Artest shut down Cat completely last game. If he can get his perimeter game going, and they don't double Yao, it will be a close game. Steve has not been dominating w/ 30 point games this season, but lately he has been dominating w/ overall effectiveness....yet me might need some more scoring than his usual 17 points. It would be nice to see him go off for 36 like he did in the season opener last year:eek:

7. ayears

ayears Member

The key is DEFENSIVE for both teams.

Hopefully Mark Jackson will be the answer--- so glad to see it!;)

8. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

hello?

lakers?
    timberwolves?
    denver?
    new orleans?
    detroit? (12/6)
    sixers, jazz, nets, trailblazers.....

we've been able to beat many teams at, around, or above us.

the 2 grizzlies losses really piss me off though.

in march we have 2 games w/ memphis.
    we SERIOUSLY need to punish them cause right now they own us.

9. win2k

win2k Member

AGREE!!! :eek:

I hate memphis!

10. win2k

win2k Member

O my god.

Rockets:83
    Pacers:62

Joneal:2 pts, 9 tos
    Artest: 8 pts, 11tos

11. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

12. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

The NBA is all about matchups. The Rox matched up pretty well with those teams that you mentioned, but you the Rox typically have problems with those athletic, fast-breaking teams. In a half court set, the Rox are scary, but they seem to have problems hanging with the high-octane teams that like to run and gun.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Should be a close game. 82-79 Rox win!

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You say this about every game, and are usually wrong.

Do you do it just for fun(like ZRB) or do you actually believe this?:confused:

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I remember saying before the Knicks game that I was never more sure of anything in my life than the Rockets losing...Well, I'm even more sure than that for this game.

Complete and total domination by the Pacers. Steve should fake a quad strain or something and just not play, because there will be at least 5 "trade Steve for Jamaal Tinsley" posts after this game...

16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If they run the high PnR well, and we have a strong 1st quarter we'll win. Yao again will need to get atleast 15 FGA in tonights game, with a few open 15-18 foot jumpers that he's been taking as of late. That's one thing that we went away from against Memphis in Yao's offensive game.

Steve will need either a 20/6 performance with a minimal amount of turnovers, or a 15/10 performance with again a minimal amount of turnovers.

JJ is going to have to camp the baseline 3 point area since that seems to be where he hits his 3s the most and just start draining them. His D on Artest is going to be very important. As muscular as JJ is, Artest is equally as muscular with about 3 inches of height, while being a few years younger to go with it. The thing that makes Artest so special aside from his D is, he can create layup opportunities single handedly with the way he uses his body when he drives in the lane. Defenders will try and bump him on his way to the lane, and they just bounce off of him like rubber, all the while he drives into an open lane. I hope MoT or JJ are ready to take a few knee in the guts charges to keep Artest out of the lane with some weakside blocks from Yao.

Mobley is going to have to continue to prove why he belongs in the 3 point contest and start draining them like nobodies business, and try and hold back on those hand in face 20 foot fadeaway jumpers. Even if they go in they still make me cringe, because I know there could of been a better shot then that. Although I do always end up going "Oh dammit why'd you shoot that? *shot goes in* YEAH MOBLEY!"

Cato/MoT/Padgett 3 headed monster: Last time the Rockets faced the Pacers, Cato went foul happy on J. O'Neal. I swear it felt like we were in the penalty 4 minutes into every quarter because of him. It was the same frustration Cato had when he couldn't stop Gasol on Monday and started hacking him out of frustration. MoT in that case will need to continue to play strong and hopefully won't keep jacking up shots if he finds his shots off. O'Neal's an excellent defender, but I hope MoT can get O'Neal in foul trouble or atleast make him nonexistant on D. If MoT is a threat offensively it'll force the weakside help on Yao to go elsewhere when he gets the ball, because they don't want to leave MoT open especially when he's hot. In other words that means more single coverage for Yao to work downlow. Padgett's been a hustle machine lately, tipping boards, beating people for position in boxout rebounding situations, and nailing the open bucket. He knows where to go on the court to find himself open for a bucket. We'll need him to be productive when MoT needs to sit on the bench for a breather. Padgett usually is, so I'm not too concerned about his performance.

J. O'Neal: Rockets will need to try and keep him off the offensive glass, and force him to settle for tough 18-20 foot fadeaway jumpers. I'd much rather another team's big man rely on making from the perimeter with a hand in their face then wreaking havoc in the paint.

17. mihndog

mihndog Member

Tough, tough test. Pacers are on a roll, winning 12 of their last 13 which includes wins over Detroit, NJ, 2 vs San Antonio, Dallas, and Memphis. The numbers are screaming Pacers-

Despite that- Rox are gonna take this one 85 to 81. Yao gets off early- Cat Mob actually hits shots down the stretch- and SF plays a steady game.

Go Rox!

18. Nero

Nero Member

So......

Does that mean you are going to be even more wrong this time?

Just when I think I have a handle on this team, and what it's all about,
    and what it's going to do, they keep surprising me.

Let's put it this way: If the Rox somehow manage to pull out a victory
    tonight, or, heaven forbid, even make it an *impressive* victory, then
    the rest of the league is going to need some anxiety pills.

19. shawn786

shawn786 Member

We win by 2 points
    88 to 86

20. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

We win by 5 - 85:80