1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 3/6/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jeddah

jeddah Member

But, maybe Bev is just following their game plan...Coach tells them to hand it to Harden regardless of the defense that will come up..sometimes he needs to assert the actual game and what's best for that particular play....and to create something out of the defenses that's being tossed at them..

I am thinking ( lol my own conspiracy theory ) that maybe Lin seldom see the floor @ crunch times because he makes a decision based on what the defense is giving to them and not what the coach is telling him...notice that when Lin plays during crunch time they are executing the offense more than the Iso-ball...just my thought...

2. zdrav

zdrav Member

He was also literally a zero on offense.

Harden and Parsons can't do everything. Way too many contested and jacked 3's at the end of the game. Harden nearly airballed a 3 at the end of the game!

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

WHAHah this is what it's come down to "well well BEV DEFLECTED a lot of balls!!!!'

and people need to get off Asik free throws. Asik going 1-2 from the line or even 0-2 is better than not getting an offensive board and getting hacked in the first place.

4. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I want to give credit to McHale too. But I have to think about it again from what I see. Maybe Morey knows it better that those assistant coaches behind him, like Sampson and Finch, should get more credit than him. ;)

5. Roxs

Roxs Member

In an attempt to get people into using PER36 more often, I'm going to start PER36 numbers for all the players after each game. Given that rarely does a rocket player besides Harden actually reach 36 mins a game, I hope you will find, like I do, PER36 being a much better measure of per game performance as it normalizes the box score stats in a logical manner.

PER36 from tonight:

James Harden, SG: 25.8 PTS, 8.3 AST, 3.7 REB, 0 BLK, 1.8 STL, 1.8 TO, 2.8 PF
    Chandler Parsons, SF: 19.3 PTS, 0.8 AST, 3.3 REB, 0.8 BLK, 0 STL, 0.8 TO, 1.7 PF
    Omer Asik, C: 18.8 PTS, 0 AST, 23.5 REB, 0 BLK, 0 STL, 1.6 TO, 4.7 PF
    Thomas Robinson, PF: 10.3 PTS, 0 AST, 5.1 REB, 2.6 BLK, 1.3 STL, 0 TO, 2.6 PF
    Jeremy Lin, PG: 17.3 PTS, 4.3 AST, 1.4 REB, 0 BLK, 0 STL, 4.3 TO, 0 PF
    Francisco Garcia, SG: 11.5 PTS, 3.3 AST, 3.3 REB, 1.6 BLK, 1.6 STL, 1.6 TO, 1.6 PF
    Carlos Delfino, SF: 18.9 PTS, 0 AST, 10.3 REB, 0 BLK, 0 STL, 1.7 TO, 6.9 PF
    Patrick Beverley, PG: 0 PTS, 11 AST, 4.7 REB, 1.6 BLK, 1.6 STL, 3.1 TO, 3.1 PF
    Donatas Motiejunas, PF: 15.8 PTS, 0 AST, 2.3 REB, 0 BLK, 0 STL, 2.3 TO, 2.3 PF

O.J. Mayo, SG: 14.2 PTS, 13.1 AST, 6.5 REB, 0 BLK, 0 STL, 0 TO, 2.2 PF
    Shawn Marion, SF: 22 PTS, 4 AST, 3 REB, 0 BLK, 2 STL, 1 TO, 4 PF
    Dirk Nowitzki, PF: 24 PTS, 3.3 AST, 5.5 REB, 1.1 BLK, 0 STL, 1.1 TO, 5.5 PF
    Vince Carter, SG: 19.2 PTS, 2.4 AST, 8.4 REB, 0 BLK, 2.4 STL, 2.4 TO, 3.6 PF
    Brandan Wright, C: 16 PTS, 1.3 AST, 2.7 REB, 1.3 BLK, 1.3 STL, 2.7 TO, 2.7 PF
    Elton Brand, PF: 18 PTS, 0 AST, 6 REB, 2 BLK, 0 STL, 0 TO, 2 PF
    Mike James, PG: 11.5 PTS, 8.6 AST, 4.3 REB, 0 BLK, 0 STL, 1.4 TO, 5.8 PF
    Darren Collison, PG: 11 PTS, 7.8 AST, 3.1 REB, 0 BLK, 0 STL, 4.7 TO, 0 PF
    Jae Crowder, SF: 7.7 PTS, 5.1 AST, 5.1 REB, 0 BLK, 0 STL, 2.6 TO, 2.6 PF

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Woah, we have a nice stretch of games at home. Hopefully you're right about the win streak.

7. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Torocan is the last person on here that you should be calling a LOF.

Heck, to even suggest that he is one simply because he's mentions Lin only serves to reinforce the image of the trollish "LOH".

1 person likes this.
  8. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Who do you think has a better chance at continuing to play better and make the right decisions?

9. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

LOL, this is exactly what Mc*ail is very good at. Clueless coach.:grin:

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dribble penetration is kryptonite for all NBA teams. Mike James was running around Free Willy style but Bev put a stop to it. I think Lin's ankle might have bothered him tonight. Cause no good reason for James to be capable of that yesterday, last season.

11. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to infer by spinning the issue to make it sound like Harden's efficiency has anything to do with putting him in a situation where he has to force the issue through ISO ball. And efficiency is NOT a reason to put him in that situation, and does NOT make him a better player than Kobe.

Get over a loss is easy, getting over a loss like this one without speaking up about bad coaching decisions, and instead making excuses to force the team's star player to play another 40 minutes and comparing him to Kobe so he looks like a hero, is simply stupid.

And yes, if this team progresses to the point where Harden is no longer in these situations over an over again, would be an IMPROVEMENT for the team.

12. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Rockets really do need a better coach...

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Yes...this..Infact...on both Jumpers after Harden hit the shot...Harden chose wrong on the Pick and Roll allowing Mayo open looks at the rim...Parsons was on his man...Harden was caught napping twice

14. torocan

torocan Member

Asik is a 55% FT shooter. Going +-2 FT's is very much within normal expected variance. 2 more missed FT's than normal doesn't invalidate his massive impact in terms of rebounding, his length and ability to alter shots, nor his physical strength in terms of maintaining position around the rim.

By the same argument you could point out Harden's sub-par shooting, or any number of player's misses. It doesn't alter the fact that Asik's overall impact on the game is a huge plus over our 2nd best option.

And while Beverley is a pest on defense, does that outweigh the offensive advantages of having Lin on the floor? A legitimate debate, however I believe that you'll win more games with Lin in the last 6 minutes than you will with Beverley in the last 6 minutes.

In the end we'll never know what would have happened, just what we believe is the correct basketball decision.

15. art

art Member

^were in the 7th because of les, morey, and harden

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

This is great stat!!!

You go with the probabilities. Not on your gut feel over a game. Especially if you look at Lin's stats in the 50min he played against Dallas vs Beverley in his 48min. Just unbelievable ignorance on the part of McHale.

17. New

Mchale should have the credit of taking us to the 7th spot in the west. But he has not shown very good in-game coaching capability. You just should not judge a coach in a single dimension manner.

18. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Wish Chandler got more touches in crunch time. He was 5-8 from beyond the arc.

19. dmoneybangbang

No we don't.... We are playing a type of basketball that fits perfectly with our personnel. I expect in the offseason and following seasons we begin to build a contending core. We just have a bunch of players that can hit high % shots.... which isn't a bad thing at all, but we aren't contenders yet. we haven't locked down a playoff spot yet, so we got some ways to go.

20. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

We were down by 7 pts when Asik/Lin went out, not 20. Bench players do what they do, provide a spark and keep the game close, which they got us back to even.

I'm not surprised that they didn't provide much at crunch time since they're BENCH players.