1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 11/20/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Ellis had 37, didn't seem to be too slowed down.

2. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

This may be the worst response I have read on this board. Games against the Mavs is to be expected? Hmmmmm that sure is a cocky attitude.....remind me again why it is to be expected exactly? Because of all your success over the years of missing the playoffs or sneaking in as an 8th seed? Mavs had one down year but just FYI if they have a healthy Dirk, which they do now, beating them should never be expected. Dirk is better then anyone the Rockets have and its proven by the ring he wears on his finger. Howard is great but obviously not a leader.....same goes for Harden. Really really really good players but they have done nothing to prove they have what it takes to lead a team to a championship. You are a bit delusional.

3. DL24

DL24 Member

youngsters eventually become veterans, ask yourself this, with our current coaches, will our youngsters ever become championship hardened veterans

4. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

Also this video was created to be shown on the jumbo tron DURING THE GAME....not after the game because they won. So it was not a reaction to the win but rather something they played during the game for the amusement of the fans.

5. joe101

joe101 Member

I cringe every time I see Casspi taking the ball from the back court to start a fast break, it reminds me of Josh Howard of the Mavs, never a good ending.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You're arguing against yourself here. You're basically saying that Dirk is unstoppable so the Rockets shouldn't even bother to try, and even when he takes contested mid range jumpers it's probably going to go in 100% of the time. Why does it even matter what the defense is if he's truly that good? :confused:

What you're missing of course is that the Maverick's unprecedented run of raining jumpers wasn't just Dirk - it was every single player in the entire team, taking some of the statistical worst shots in basketball, yet every single one of them went in for a 10 minute span. That's not just "PATHETIC defensive strategy" - it's a sh-tload of luck. For the most part, limiting a team to off-the dribble and/or contested long or mid range jumpers on 85% of the shots taken is good defensive strategy - but then, most of the time, teams don't make ONE FREAKING HUNDRED PERCENT of them over a sustained period of time.

7. guanwangzhe

guanwangzhe Member

I agree. He refused to pass the ball to the PG, took selfish iso play and just try to adding up his own numbers. Not a team player.

8. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Yeah, that veteran minimum contract has really gotten to his head. It's like he thinks he's Carmelo all of a sudden.

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I wonder if using D-Mo's length to guard Dirk the last few minutes would have had a better result.

10. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Not that much. It might have forced Dirk to put the ball on the floor in some situations, giving our guards a chance to rotate over and steal it.

However, the reason why Dirk was open so much was because of Monta Ellis penetration. It all starts with stopping the pick and roll.

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

1. McHale
    2. Harden
    3. Beverley
    4. Chandler
    5. Casspi

Who's next?

[​IMG]

12. Amir's Johnson

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, I am not saying that Dirk is unstoppable at all but as he has gotten older and his legs have lost some of their spring, his fadeaway jumpshot that used to hit nothing but net is now striking the inside of the rim which causes it to pop up into the air and drop into the net. It's weird to watch I know and sort of reminds me of Rudy T's straight-line jumpshot.

Soooo, the Rockets were just unlucky? Duh! Newsflash: The Mavs ARE a team of jumpshooters. They couldn't defend the paint if you let them put up a chain link fence especially with a stiff like Dalembert. Is this to be the official company line when teams pack the paint, collapse on Howard (and take away all of those pretty alley-oop shots) and throw a zone D at the Rockets? Because I can guarantee you that you are going to see this strategy used against them until McHale gets an F'ing clue (I, for one, won't be holding my breath waiting for THAT to happen).

Yeah, they (Mavs) hit their jumpshots but they always hit their jumpshots - it's what they do. That was exactly the type of game that a great team wins. This team is stocked with the most talent they've had in 7 years but they don't play smart nor tough. If the Rockets had even PRETENDED to play defense last night, they would have won that game. It was infuriating to see them look clueless against that Mavs zone. Now if this team (Rockets) really wants to contend for a title, they need to pull their heads out of McHale's ass, stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. The clock is ticking.

14. errpac

errpac Member

This was just a bad loss

Honestly I think we are definitely better then the mavs teams, not that worried. Mavs got hot in the fourth and hit some difficult shot. They did D down better then is in the fourth but they aren't a defensive team so I feel it was a bit of a fluke or momentum for them. What does worry me is the defense on this team. rox are really bad at d right now and mchale needs to fix that or get replaced. He got out coached again. What pisses me off is the mavs fan acting like they won the championship in this one game and also thinking they are clearly better. Dude the season series is tied at 1-1 and throughout two games the rockets led in most of the period. Two more times we meet them, I hope we put them in their place on those two meeting to show them up. Our bench needs to play better on the next two meeting, plus better d.

15. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

This game is equivalent to the game a few seasons back where we came back to beat the Thunder in the 4th. They were beating us all game, were the better team, and we got hot in the 4th and pulled off the upset.

The Thunder still went on to the Finals that year.

16. Apache

Apache Member

harden top shooting guard in the nba , also top shooting guard in the nba with worst defense

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's what the coaches tell him to do. In fact, it's what the coaches tell pretty much every player other than Dwight Howard and Omer Asik to do when he gets a rebound.

If your team wants to look for fast break opportunities, you wan the guy grabbing the rebound to push the ball immediately and have every one run up the floor. You don't want the PG to wait in the back court for a pass before pushing it. You want to grab the rebound and go immediately.

Jones, Parsons, Casspi, even DMo have been doing this all season. In fact, all of the forwards-- Jones, DMo, Royce White-- were doing it in Vegas Summer League 2012, to.

18. Apache

Apache Member

great coaching lol

19. pnr

pnr Member

Not this year. He's been playing like crap lately. I'd put Afflalo, Klay, and Monta over him right now (if you're taking into account defense) but it's still early.

20. Apache

Apache Member

yes but give the ball to the pg after passing half court. or else it will back fired on you lol