1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 1/16/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 16, 2013.

1. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

They have guys on their bench who are better than a lot of teams starters. Bad example to use because Vinny can do that and still win games...

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point and agree totally. But McHale is trying to win games and get this team into the playoffs so he can keep his and Morey's job. That's just my opinion...

2. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Seems to me that you just pointed out McHale isn't the coach this team needs... I concur...

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

I guess he is seeing a lot more than we are but at the same time it is all so very odd.

I am not saying McHale is a bad coach & I want him fired. I just think he is still learning some stuff or maybe it is that players just aren't executing. And i am not really critiquing I am just wondering because I am seriously confused as well.

His substitutions were & have always been weird. He took harden out with 5 minutes in the second. Then he puts him back in with 2 minutes left in the second. Then immediately takes him out with 1 minute left in the second. I was like what in gods name. Even Harden rolled his eyes like what the hell are you doing.

And then Lin misses a FG in the second grabs his rebound & passes to parsons for a 3 which Chandler hits then McHale takes Lin & parsons out immediately cause he wants a spark. I am like Parsons just hit a 3 isn't that spark enough?

And then he kept Carlos in there for way to long when it was clear he wasn't on it.

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

For all this "highest scoring backcourt" nonsense, Lin should actually be averaging more than 12 points.

5. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Need shots to make points.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But....but....we need McHale to help us convince Kevin Love to force a trade here, to reunite him with his old coach.

(sigh)

The substitution patterns are odd at best. Some were dictated by Harden, who was plagued by foul trouble and "boy, maybe I should lay off the hookers and the Colorado club for awhile" sleepwalking. Others?

Was it my imagination, or was Delfino, despite 5 turnovers, still in the game a lot while Ppat and Mmorris spent time on the bench playing pattycake?

I did see Morris in there late. He gave us good and bad.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He probably would, but he and Harden are having trouble learning not to trip over each other.

8. ERC

ERC Member

Put the ball in his hands more then.

Both Lin and Harden are ball-dominant guards. Since Harden is the better of the two, I can see why the coaches want the ball in Harden's hands more. But if you do that, expect Lin's production to drop (until he learns his new role). Can't have it both ways.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lin also needs to be shooting better from 3. His shooting is the only thing that I have been disappointed in him about this season.

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

We don't need McHale to convince Love because he sucked as a coach in Minnesota. Besides _ We have Harden and the Colorado Club that should be enough...

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

I don't buy that. There should still be some way to make it work while letting them both still get theirs, ala Miami Heat, Celtics with their big 3.

12. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Only his off the ball shooting. His dribble shots looks pretty money to me. It's a sign when I always get nervous when he shoots after a pass while I always feel confident when he takes a shot after his dribble.

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I think its a mental or confidence thing with JLin because he can be gun shy when Harden isn't on the floor. I think he just needs more time.

14. Roxs

Roxs Member

Anyone notice that Delfino has been guarding 4's lately? Especially late in the game.

Dirk had 10 points in the 4th while Delfino was guarding him. I don't blame Delfino given how much of a disadvantage this is for Delfino, but that's obviously a statement of how bad our 4's have been.

You guys can blame Lin and Harden all you want, but this roster as it stands has holes in it and the other teams are exploiting it. This lack of a serviceable PF is a huge issue and I'm of the opinion that it's the root cause of many of our offensive and defensive problems.

15. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I agree, all this talk about backcourts is great and all. But it seems like teams with great post games/players are really abusing us in that position.

16. jocar

jocar Member

:rolleyes:

He's been with us for 21 years, how long have you?

17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Sounds like another coaching issue to me...

18. munsteur

munsteur Member

For those of you who think Lin should handle the ball more often, it's NOT going to happen. In coaches' eyes, it's not like Lin is the only one who can handle the ball; Harden is just as ball dominant. So, you have a player who is paid 16mil and another 8mil. Who gets the ball more? You do the math. Coaches won't give the ball to Lin more; Harden won't feel good if Lin has the ball; Lin himself won't feel good to have Harden pick for him on every play. So, that is why we saw what we saw in the 4th quarter. Lin was extremely effective yet the coaches, Harden, Lin all thought Harden should get the ball nevertheless.

19. pnr

pnr Member

In the situation when Harden was so cold, Lin shouldn't have deferred to him so much last night. That is my problem with Lin this year. He doesn't know when to shoot and when to pass this year because he hasn't really proven to be that effective playing with a superstar next to him. He needs to be the number 1 option to be the most effective he can be, but he can't do that and expect his team to do anything relevant. This is a developing year and I have faith he will learn. He is already getting better as the season progresses, which is a very good sign.

20. ERC

ERC Member

Well, give them time then. Took Miami almost 2 seasons to get it working, and KG/Pierce are not ball-dominant therefore Rondo has the ball and initiates the offense.

There's a reason why Harden comes off the bench in OKC (and Manu Ginobili in San Antonio). Check last year's stats and you will see how LITTLE time Harden & WB were on the court together (even during the playoffs).

Is Lin capable of producing more? Yes! Will he? I believe so. But he's learning a new role and it takes time.