1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Knicks 1/8/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 7, 2004.

1. disney

disney Member

uh,ur dream come has come ture!!!

:(

2. mishii

mishii Contributing Member

I bought tickets for this game back when they were first sold to the public. Back then I thought I would be paying for the overpriced privilege of watching a 65-60 basketball game with one of the teams winning (tossup at that point). Hey I do anything to support the Rockets.

Now, I kinda like the matchups and sideplots.

Francis vs Marbury in his first game as a Knick at MSG (should be an emotional one for Marbury, who practically was begging to be a Knick since he joined the league).

JVG returns to coach against a former NBA Coach of the Year for the Rockets in Chaney (yeah, I know he hasn't done much since then).

Moochie payback time?!

Spoon gets off the bench? and hopefully grabs a lot of boards in front of the NY bench...

Yao finally having a breakout game??? He seems to like playing in the NY area.

Who knows. It now has some interesting zing to it. Although, it still might end as a 65-60 game. I just hope the Rockets win it!

We shall see.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

well if we play anything like we did in detroit

should be a great one

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. ckfol

ckfol Member

33-23 Rockets. Depression through out the cluthch BBS. We need Prodzac.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

6. Alirules

Alirules Member

i 2nd that

7. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

3rd!!

Rockets bounce back on National TV!

8. qpx

qpx Contributing Member

Uuuuugly game:D :D :D

9. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Rox win....steve torches marbury:D
    i wonder if we can stop those van Horn 3s tho

10. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

We always win the 2nd back-to-back game!

88-78. Rockets win.

11. sup123

sup123 Member

yao comes back strong; steve still plays like crap, marbary and ill go out on a limb and say even moochie will tourch him. And we will probably win. I had to add my favorite line: Mabye we will trade steve after his bad performance.

12. mirror_image

Houston (19-15) at New York (14-22)

Preview - Box Score - Recap

Jeff Van Gundy spent six seasons coaching the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Stephon Marbury always hoped to play there for his hometown team.
    Van Gundy makes his first appearance at the Garden as a visiting coach and Marbury makes his home debut with his new team when the Houston Rockets visit the Knicks.

Marbury, acquired from the Phoenix Suns along with Penny Hardaway in an eight-player deal on Monday, grew up as a Knicks fan in Brooklyn. He said he does not know what to expect in his Garden debut.

``I'm just hoping I don't cry,'' Marbury said. ``I'm going to try to hold it in.''

He's also hoping to turn in a better performance than he did in his first game with the Knicks. Marbury had eight points on 3-of-9 shooting Tuesday in a 107-96 loss at Cleveland. He also had eight assists, five rebounds and three turnovers.

``Our guys will just have to get used to playing with him and understand that he can pass the ball, he can score and he's super quick,'' Knicks coach Don Chaney said.

Marbury admitted that he was on an emotional high to be playing for his hometown team and that he will be more under control in future games.

``I didn't really play like I normally do because I was so excited,'' Marbury said. ``I was trying to learn the guys -- that will come.''

Hardaway also struggled in his Knicks debut, scoring six points in 24 minutes. The Knicks have lost three straight following a four-game winning streak.

While his former team may have hit a skid, Van Gundy -- who resigned from the Knicks 19 games into the 2001-02 season -- is more concerned with his new one.

Houston had won three straight before falling to the Detroit Pistons 85-66 on Wednesday. The Rockets shot 33.3 percent and tied the mark for the fewest points in franchise history.

``This was a lack of intensity,'' Houston guard Steve Francis said. ``A couple guys played hard, but that won't do it. You need eight or nine guys -- your whole rotation -- to play hard. I don't think they did anything to take us out of this game. We did that to ourselves.''

Francis and Jim Jackson each scored 15 points, but center Yao Ming finished with just four. He scored the game's first two baskets, but was held scoreless for the rest of his 22 minutes. Yao played only five minutes in the second half.

``I played players that I thought deserved to play,'' Van Gundy said.

Yao said there was no excuse for his poor play.

``I just didn't play well,'' he said through an interpreter. I got too hesitant.''

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

another easy win for the rox. last year the rox kept on losing to the non-contenders. this year it's the reverse they're whooping them but losing big to the real contenders.

rox by 10 points.

14. mirror_image

Thomas Comments on Norris Acquisition

New York, December 30, 2003 - Just prior to the start of the Knicks-Miami Heat game, Knicks President of Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas announced the trade of veteran power forward Clarence Weatherspoon to the Houston Rockets for point guard Moochie Norris and forward-center John Amaechi. The Knicks expect to waive Amaechi once the trade is completed. "If we are to improve as a team, the roster has got to be improved," said Thomas. "Moochie Norris is a very serviceable player. He's not a player you acquire just to patch a hole. He's had some success in this league."
    Norris, a 6-1, 175-pound aggressor who attended Auburn and West Florida, has career averages of 6.2 points and 3.5 assists for Seattle, Vancouver and Houston. He currently owns the second-longest active playing streak in the NBA -- 304 consecutive games -- behind the Knicks' Shandon Anderson (531).

When asked how the acquisition of Norris -- a ultraquick quarterback who particularly excels in the open court -- might impact the situation of the team's incumbent veteran point guards, Thomas said "we have not contemplated, or had any conversations, about that." Norris has "three or four years left on his contract," according to Thomas.

Thomas compared his first few days on the job to the executive of a corporation. "You go in, exercise due diligence, and look at your assets," he said. "You talk to the supervisors, you get yourself up to speed. Right now, I'm still finding my way around. However, our main product is the product out there on the floor -- and, due diligence or no due diligence, we can not afford to take our time in solving our problems if we are to improve."

Of the team's markedly improved play since his arrival -- the Knicks have four out of five games -- Thomas said: "The players have responded. They are playing at a very high level."

"There are different ways to motivate people," added Thomas. "I have always tried to inspire rather than motivate through fear."

"I can tell you one thing, James Dolan is an owner who really wants to win," said Thomas. "The practice facilities here are the best, the arena is the best, the plane we are flying on is the best."

"Here in New York, we have to be the best. I have nothing but great respect for Mr. Dolan. He's about as good an owner as you'll find in the NBA."

15. mirror_image

I have a question. Do Knicks fans have a forum similar to clutchfans.net? I want to know how they think about this game.

16. mirror_image

DIME PREVIEW: Rockets at Knicks
    By Peter Hamby / Dime Magazine

How did the Rockets end up in the GOTD two days in a row, you ask?

Well, the reason is that Stephon Marbury is making his Madison Square Garden debut with the Knicks tonight, and the Rockets just happen to be the visiting sideshow. Sorry, Van Gundy.

Ever since Starbury was drafted out of Georgia Tech in 1996, he's wanted to play in New York. He's made no secret of it. He comes back to Coney Island all the time, balls there, and loves it. The stint in New Jersey just didn't do it for him, but honestly, would anybody dig coming that close to NYC and not actually being there? As you might have read in Dime a few months back, player is a New Yorker for life. So, when Steph heard the news he would be traded, he liked it well enough. After all, Phoenix was a sinking ship. But as he told reporters, when he was informed he was traded to the Knicks, he lit up. It's about time. Though new GM Isiah Thomas gave up a lot to get Steph and Penny Hardaway ¡X perhaps too much in the long term ¡X the addition of the two star guards gives the Knicks a short term punch that will both bolster a playoff run and sell tickets. And jerseys. Lots of jerseys. You know you want one.

Marbury's debut wasn't spectacular, but it was only his first game in a new system with new teammates. Against Cleveland on Tuesday night, Marbury played 29 minutes with eight points and eight dimes. Ultimately, Shandon Anderson got more minutes at guard than Steph, playing 33 minutes, but don't think that'll happen too often. Penny only played half the game, notching six points. Once the backcourt gels, though, the trio of Steph, Penny, and Allan Houston might be the best guard threat in the East along with Detroit and Philly.

Alright, guess we have to talk about the Rockets, too. After all, tonight marks the return of Jeff Van Gundy to the Garden as the head coach of Houston. Most in New York love what Van Gundy did in the post-Riley era, so don't expect any boos. What is true, though, is that Van Gundy, like any other returning coach, wants to win badly. Yet the signing of Marbury is such a huge deal in New York that an appearance of Van Gundy will quickly become an afterthought following the opening tip. Also, another reunion of sorts will take place with former Rockets guard Moochie Norris. He's on the Knicks now thanks to Thomas, and through one game he saw a lot more minutes than he ever did in Houston. Moochie fans will be definitely be watching, but most won't pay attention.

Eyes will instead be on the guard showdown between Marbury and Steve Francis, and people will also be watching New York head coach Don Chaney. He'll be under pressure to work Marbury fully into the lineup in spite of the fact that he just arrived. Not only that, but Chaney will also be under pressure from here on out. Thomas has invested much in making this a winning team, and if the Knicks continue towards mediocrity, then Isiah will fire Chaney faster than you can say Dikembe Mutombo. A new era of Knicks basketball begins tonight on national television, and if you're not watching, then you don't like hoops. Ball in.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ugh...I don't know about this one. We were killed last night in Detroit. Our offense sucks.

Terrible game by the Rockets last night.

Yao was a non-factor 4 turnovers 4 points, and Cat and MO shot a combined 4-24?!

JJ and SF were the only scorers....man.

I hope the game against the Knicks isn't as painful to watch. It's on TNT so make us proud Rockets.
    New York sucks, we better win this one. Then again this makes me doubt a win. We need the win. PLEASE.

18. mirror_image

NYPOST:STEPH BACK WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
    By MARC BERMAN

January 8, 2004 -- Stephon Marbury comes home tonight, bringing his often-turbulent journey full circle as the Knicks face the Rockets at Madison Square Garden. Marbury, nine years after lifting Lincoln to the PSAL championship in this arena, has bubbled with emotion since his idol Isiah Thomas allowed him to fulfill his boyhood dream of being a Knick.
    Although former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy will receive a loud ovation, it's not going to come close to the expected earsplitter the Coney Island Kid should receive.

"I'm going to try to keep everything in me," Marbury said, referring to his emotions.

Marbury spent two controversial years across the Hudson with the Nets, highlighted by run-ins with coaches and teammates. He said his lackluster Knick debut Tuesday in Cleveland was "awkward." Working against Marbury, however, was the fact he didn't know his playing status until 25 minutes before tip-off. He didn't know any of the plays. He hadn't practiced with the team and his travels from Phoenix to Chicago to New York to Cleveland in a 40-hour span left him under the weather.

Marbury still handed out eight assists in 29 minutes, would've hit double figures had Allan Houston shot better during the Knicks' 107-96 loss. "Allan told me [Tuesday] night when we were on the back of the bus, I was like man you had some shots I know you knock down," Marbury said. "He was like, I'm not used to being open for that long. I know I got five assists coming to him, three or four to Kurt Thomas, four to Keith [Van Horn]. It's so much easier to play."

Marbury believes he's never been surrounded by more talent than he is now the Knicks.

"This is definitely the most talented team I've been on," Marbury said. "I don't want to put any predictions, but I know we can be a really good team if we play on the defensive end."

The players said they need time to adjust to Marbury's quick passes. Marbury said he's ready to put on more of a scoring show tonight.

"[Tuesday], I really was just trying to distribute but [tonight] I'm going to be a lot more aggressive attacking the basket and making plays," he said. "I was so open getting into the middle of the paint it was odd to me. I'm used to guys stepping up and making me kick the ball out. With [Houston], they don't leave him. They sit there on him. For me to get right in the paint and getting [a chance] at an easy layup was kind of mind-boggling to me."

Marbury wants more minutes tonight. Chaney held him to just 29 in his debut because the point guard didn't know enough of the plays or defensive system.

"I really couldn't get into the game like I wanted to," Marbury said. "I'm used to playing 40. I want to be on the basketball court playing. I don't want to be on the bench."

19. mirror_image

NYPOST:JEFF BACK ON B'WAY

January 8, 2004 -- AUBURN HILLS - Everyman returns from exile tonight, and he walks in the door as a footnote, an afterthought, a sidebar. Jeff Van Gundy wouldn't have it any other way, of course.
    Maybe back when the schedule was drawn up, when this seemed certain to be his unofficial "night" at Madison Square Garden, a chance for the same fans who once filled the place chanting his name to shower him with one last echo of thanks, he might have felt differently.

No more. It won't happen that way now, and Van Gundy knows it. Isiah Thomas' hiring took a lot of the anticipatory starch out of Latrell Sprewell's homecoming 16 days ago, and now Thomas' first blockbuster deal will do the same thing to Van Gundy's. The distraction ruined Sprewell's Christmas. It made Van Gundy's year.

"Nobody's going to be thinking about Jeff Van Gundy," the subject of that third-person observation said late yesterday morning, a few hours before his new team, the Rockets, were beaten, 85-66, by the Pistons at The Palace, the warm-up act for what promises to be an emotional ringer tonight. "Nor should they. They got Stephon Marbury. That's a big-time acquisition."

Van Gundy isn't likely to engage in any of the theatrics that accompanied past Garden homecomings, anyway. Pat Riley came back to boos his first night back in '95, then waved his arms to encourage more. Patrick Ewing choked back tears, wearing the odd color scheme of the Seattle SuperSonics, and Clyde Frazier did, too, the night he came in wearing a burgundy-and-gold Cavaliers uniform. All Sprewell wanted to do was pull a Carlesimo on James Dolan when he came back.

Van Gundy won't do any of that when he reports to work tonight, the first game he'll coach at the Garden since Dec. 3, 2001. The Knicks rallied from 17 down in the third quarter that night, eked out an 89-86 win over - yes, life certainly does have a sense of humor sometimes - the Houston Rockets. He was miserable that night, of course, griping about how the Knicks "have lost our way . . . you can tell. Many times, we're not as passionate as we should be. A bit lifeless."

Lifeless? He should have seen the corpse he left behind.

"That's about to change, with Marbury," Van Gundy said, still far more comfortable talking about the other guy who will share the bill tonight. "I believe he gives them as good a chance as anybody to win the East."

Throughout the 13 season Van Gundy worked in the employ of Madison Square Garden, he heard endlessly about the Knicks' fabled glory days. He grew to understand how instrumental the great Red Holzman was in making those glories real. And this may be the funniest turn of all: given how dreadful the product has been inside the Garden in the 761 days since he walked away from a 10-9 team, suddenly the people recall Van Gundy's teams with a similar wistfulness.

And the people recall this self-proclaimed "no-name" with the same regard as the pillars, the Ewings and the Oakleys, the Starks, Sprewells and LJs.

"Go figure," Van Gundy said.

Before tonight, there were only two other ventures back to the Garden, last winter, when he'd taken the old familiar route first to take in a Manhattan-Yale college game, later to take part in the ceremony retiring Ewing's number.

Everyman remembered every little thing about the trip before one of his players, Kelvin Cato, began chirping about the media hog coach.

In an instant the smile was gone, and the chat was over. Business was at hand. The Pistons and the Knicks, just another back-to-back, just another road trip, just another season. Everyman seemed to like it that way.

20. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

The Rockets should win this won because for the most part of the season we have beaten the teams we're supposed to beat and we're suppose to beat the knicks but with the rockets...you'll never know.