1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Kings 1/13/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 13, 2007.

1. iBelieve

iBelieve Contributing Member

Then trade him, and you don't need to worry about him anymore :confused:

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Led his college team the Arkansas Razorbacks to the 1994 national championship. Entered the NBA with very good, but not great, expectations. Decent numbers throughout his career- as someone else mentioned, helped the Detroit Pistons win the 2004 championship. More of a role player, but someone who can break out 30 points on you on a good night, like Jamison, Odom, Flip Murray, etc.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Have to agree. That "piece of ****" comment was completely uncalled for.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You should have used the quote tags ... when people reply to you, it won't be in it.

-----------------------

Major props to Rafer tonight ... I'm repeating myself from the past here when he does have these kind of games -- but if he plays like this every night, he wouldn't have any "haters" ... there would be nothing really to "hate". This is the type of play the Rockets need from the PG spot -- bring the ball up, knock down the open three, don't embarrass yourself on the two.

The problem is if his relatively short history here has taught us anything, it's that he won't sustain this level of shooting. He's at 36.1%, and that's after tonight's improvement.

I think tonight also you got a good look at how Rafer really is the best PG option we have. JLIII does provide a spark and could prove to be more down the line, but he's just inexperienced in getting this offense set up. It looks like a different team when he's in. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. We'll just have to trust JVG that V-Span is not working out. So yeah, he's the best the Rockets have at the position, but this is like being the best dribbler in your church league -- it may not mean much.

I think most people agree that the Rockets need another point guard, no matter what side of the fence you're on. If you think Rafer is wrong for the team, then you think the Rockets need someone who could soon take Rafer's spot. If you think Rafer is right for the team, the Rockets need someone who can spell Rafer more minutes. Even the most fanatical of Rafer-backers should be able to recognize that he has had some grotesque shooting nights, and we're not talking 0-6's here but high volume attempts (4-17's, 4-19's, etc.).

On a funny note ... that was hysterical to see Bill Worrell call that one Rafer 4-foot runner with no one contesting where he banked it way hard and to the left.... "Rafer drives in for the ... UH-WHOOOPS!! I don't know what that was."

5. johnrox

johnrox Member

yeah, he did play well tonight thank you, but those tear drops... or whatevr...

anyways, there needs to be a poll, will the rockets trade for a pg? who will they trade for? that might bring up some interesting banter

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Maybe I am. ;)

7. chaosad

chaosad Contributing Member

cmon melo i know your gettin bored at your crib but only a few more days left and you'll be playin again...

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

Cough..Francis...cough. :cool:

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I don't know how they won this game. The kings shot 53 percent in regulation, and had a significant FT advantage. But they did.

Props to rafer for that big 3 to start OT on the right foot, and Deke for essentially icing it with the putback to make it 111-106. Also nice save on luther's pass headed for the 3rd row rafer.

Also way to take one for the team Shane.

10. johnrox

johnrox Member

uh oh, forgot about that

11. johnrox

johnrox Member

rafer did well, BUT if that was called a 5 second violation, rafer would have had another hole ripped into him starting first with jvg

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

8 stitches for Battier...ouch.

13. DVauthrin

But it wasn't. Thus no big deal.

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Hope Battier does not have a concussion, and we were fortunate Rafer had one of 'those nights'. McGrady was sluggish, but made key shots at key times much like the rest of the team. clutch city baby!

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

No actually shooting % is only part of it. I think his decision making is just iffy and he does have way too many of those mental 'stutters' for my liking. But yes, that WAS a 'knee-jerk' reaction on my part because I had just watched Rafer completely f up at a crucial moment in the game, unable to inbound the ball to McGrady when he had ample space/time to do so...he just hesitated on passing him the ball and T-Mac was infuriated with him when the Rockets had to call a timeout (almost a TO, probably should have been) and the play was exposed. I was upset with him at that moment and it came through in that post...so yes, that was a knee-jerk.

Considering he doesn't handle the ball much, not that impressive. But I will agree that is his strongest suit.

Had a few clutch moments, true.

His 'defense' sucks, he can't handle the quicker guards OR the bigger guards.

We completely disagree on that point.

He does a good job at that, yes.

In the season, yes, not in the playoffs. We just happen to disagree on this point.

AND I will also point it out if T-Mac or Yao play a bad game...I have nothing personal against Rafer, stop making it sound like I 'hate' the guy, I just don't like him starting for this team. He's a nice guy, just not my type of player.

:rolleyes:

Wow! After that whole 'holier than thou' speech, you post this?

Having a bad day BMoney?

I could care less about how you or others perceive me as a person, this is a freakin' basketball forum, may be you should try to get a life.

My comments were related to Rafer the player, not the person. Strangely enough, you've made this personal.

Here's another suggestion: put me on your ignore list and save yourself the trouble.

Good night, Sir!

16. DVauthrin

How can you look sluggish scoring 34 points and dishing out 11 dimes?

Edit: it was 37 and 9.

#576 DVauthrin, Jan 14, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

When you're 11-34 or whatever from the field, that usually indicates you're chucking up shots and not driving or taking it to the rack. Just because he had 34 points and 11 assists doesnt mean he's playing with energy. I am not insulting McGrady, so take it easy.

18. blender

blender Member

A loit of his misses came in the fourth I think, when he was visibly tired. In fact the whole team looked like the back-to-back was catching up to them, which makes this overtime win even more satisfying.

T-Mac didn't seem overly energetic throughout the game, but the Sacramento defense was intent on shutting him down for most of the game. The fact that he still ended up with 34 and 11 is impressive, IMO.

19. DVauthrin

I didn't say you were. His shot looked good from what I saw in OT.

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

1. Since this is a basketball forum, why don't you post something about *basketball?* Just once I want to read something from you that doesn't involve you having your period and crying in your yogurt just because a play, player, or game doesn't go to your satisfaction. If you hate Rafer so much, at least suggest an alternative for the Rockets at this point. What substitution strategy could Van Gundy use to improve his play? Anything.

2. I made this personal because you called Rafer Alston a piece of ****. It's uncalled for on any conceivable level.

3. "I will also point it out if T-Mac or Yao play a bad game." This is the essence of you as a fan right there. It's all negative.

4. Last, re: "get a life:" physician, heal thyself.