1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Jazz 12/2/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2013.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ironically, this was a game that TT could have probably been used effectively down the stretch if jones had to sit. we got killed on the boards giving up several offensive rebs in the 4th. smallball for the win :rolleyes:

2. bws

bws Member

Lin may be back in the starting unit sometime in the season. I'm not sure Bev will stay in. But I think Bev can put up somewhat better scoring. Her focuses on his strenghts, defense, rebounding, tip-ins, saving the ball from out of bounds, but he's not a natural playmaker or much on creating his own shot. He's better when Lin is in to get him some easy 3s.

3. quatin

quatin Member

Back spasms are chronic only if you don't let it heal. If it's a torn muscle as I suspect, it will take several months of immobilization to let it fully heal. You can still be active by stretching out your back, but the inflammation gets worse as you aggravate your back and eventually you get a spasm.

Foot injures also suck. If it's just a bruise, the swelling can go down in a couple of weeks, but you need to stay off of it entirely. (IE get a cast) There's low blood flow to your feet so it takes forever to heal anything.

4. nono

nono Member

Beverley was supposed to be the defensive solution. What happened ? I am pretty confident that the better way to improve the defensive problem is to put Lin back in but rather replace Parsons with a wing stopper than can guard the SF, PG, SG positions. Beverley doesn't have the size to do this and his production right now doesn't warrant his minutes.

Another solution is to just trade Lin for that 6-8 or so defensive stopper and play him at PG as you wouldn't lose much offensive output over Beverley. i.e a better lineup than right now is :

Brewer
    Harden
    Parsons
    Jones
    Dwight

5. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly, if it was just a handful of possessions I wouldn't really care. Nearly every player takes a possession off now and then on the offensive end.

It was the trotting during the bulk of the 2nd half that was frustrating. The difference between having 21s to work the clock and 16-17s to work the clock is significant especially when you're trailing or tied.

It not only hampers the offense but it's contagious. One thing about Parsons and Lin is they push the pace often. And because they push the pace, the entire team pushes the pace.

Harden trotting up the ball so frequently essentially was a green light to the entire team to "take it easy" on makes and misses.

6. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

LOFs out in full force today, nice

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well I've been saying the offense wasn't a problem and Harden wasn't a problem, so you're just arguing the argument right now.

All I'm saying is that Harden created a lot of the offense tonight. If HArden wasn't playing Casspi would have been our best offensive option...

8. keldraco

keldraco Member

most likely after the ASG. I hope

9. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Dwight needs to improve...

10. keldraco

keldraco Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keldraco View Post
    no he wouldn't if harden pass the ball to him with 3 sec left

LOFs out in full force today, nice

i only said that lin wouldn't pass the ball away if he receive the ball with 5sec or less. what the problem?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So other than Harden, who else was there to push the pace?

Again he was the main one pushing the pace and many times was a one man break. Is he supposed to just push the pace for near 45 minutes near stop?

Lin and Parsons did not play. He did push the pace plenty this game but asking him to do so non-stop is not fair.

Not only that but in the 4th where possessions are cherished there is a difference between urgency and panic. I have no problem with him slowing it down making sure the team got the best possession possible, it was far better than what Brooks was doing at the time.

12. bws

bws Member

OK 1. a little scary. and he played how many minutes tonight?
    2. just get him the best treatment and hope for the best.
    3. sure hope not. the team needs him.
    4. he looks physically OK, but maybe is wearing down just a bit.

13. nono

nono Member

Beverley ?

14. torocan

torocan Member

Playing Harden for 45 minutes is an entirely different issue (and 100% on McHale). Personally I think he should have kept Harden down under 40 minutes. Bev/Brooks would have done just fine with Asik, Tjones (17 mins!) and/or Omri and Casspi.

Pushing the pace isn't just about how fast you run up the court, Harden also had lots of opportunities to pass the ball up with minimal to no risk of a turn over. Inbound the ball, pass it up fast and make the opponent run. Then he can trot up as the rest of the team is forcing the opponent to adjust.

You can drain a ton of energy from the opposing team just by passing the ball up fast even when you don't get a great look immediately. And if you don't get a great look, then just swing the ball back around and Harden is free to do his thing.

There were multiple possessions where there were Rockets players ahead of Harden that he could have easily passed up to push the pace. However for some reason he rarely took advantage of the situation.

I swear, some nights it's like Harden is afraid to let go of the ball early in a possession.

15. quatin

quatin Member

Actually, you were saying Harden was the only reason we got points and no one was making shots.

I'm arguing against your claim that Harden was the sole offensive provider tonight. He was key in facilitating and running the offense, but he does not deserve the sole credit of our offensive flow. Casspi and Garcia were able to spread the floor by making their spot up shots. Even Brooks was able to get some penetration and transition lay ups.

As a TEAM, we played good offense tonight. What we did poorly in was defense and there are several obvious flaws that anyone watching the game can point out.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Will re-watch the game later, but one weird thing I'll look for is the absence of TJones. I know he was bound to come back to earth, but only 18min after losing one of your best hustle/energy guys?

Odd

17. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Playoff teams will be MUCH harder to beat than the Jazz. Most teams in the playoff picture know how to slow us down on defense by forcing us to play half court, and on offense they are good at moving without the ball. Like the Clippers and Spurs, your man is not going to be standing at the same spot all night, he's going to cut to the basket and set screens. It's our coach's job to prepare the team for this, but he has failed.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Yeah, I don't understand why McHale went with Casspi basically the entire 4th Q at a time when we were getting killed on the offensive boards.

19. hugo2000

hugo2000 Member

You can never be the best 2 guard if you play 'pls drive by me' defense.
    You can never be the leader if you play 'oops, where is my guy' defense.
    You will not win championship if you play '4 on 5' defense!

I hope we have couch like Pop that jump on star that play laughable, non existant defense.

20. quatin

quatin Member

Lionel Hollins. He's looking for a job as a HC right now. Here he is shoving Bayless onto the bench for not playing help defense.

http://nba.si.com/2013/05/27/lionel...ss-video-memphis-grizzlies-san-antonio-spurs/