1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Hornets 10/9/2007 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 8, 2007.

1. IMissJVG

IMissJVG Rookie

Freaking LOL @ ClutchFans! Everyone has been hating on Rafer this whole time, and now some people finally start to realize that maybe he isn't that bad.

Amazing that Rafer doesn't look so bad now that he's not being asked to give his best impersonation of a SG (which was horrible obviously). Now that he can play like the true Skip To My Lou because of the many scorers around him, he's going to be great for us.

Anyone who still thinks we're going to trade or cut Rafer doesn't have a clue.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Turnoverarama! The second half was worse than a pick up game. They looked lost. Couldn't pass, couldn't shoot, couldn't hold on to the ball. Worse than sloppy. Highlights from the first half looked good. Yao looked smooth, Francis' put back was spectacular! Are his hops back? Where was TMac? Scola looked good. James didn't. Rafer still can't shoot. Nothing to get excited about, yet.

Forgot about Bonzi: impressive, he appears to be in excellent shape. I think Harris may take Synder's place.

#802 solid, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  3. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

rafer and bonzi were awesome tonight

4. Andyman0123

Andyman0123 Member

It was the Special Olympics opening ceremony in Shanghai days ago. Yao Ming is the ambassdor of the host. He also got a metal award from a member of the Kennedy family, something like that.

5. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Been saying that for a long time :D But I have to admit, I thought Skip's a quality backup, but even he's surprising me with his play as a starter who's not asked to do what he can't.

6. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

James looked great when he was on the floor with T-Mac and Yao. he is the most similar to Bibby on this team.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yup. skip is solid. Its easy to knock his scoring ability, but thats not his strength! its like bashing battier for not being a better scorer. The offense runs better when he is playing point. Plus, he isnt as bad as people make it seem when he spots up for 3.

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I'm impressed with Bonzi's agility and atlethicism in general was really awesome and Scola was quite impressive as well but someone has to teach him the NBA screen. I give this team another week or two and they'll be the team to beat!! Straight up!! :mad:

9. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

I am not accustomed to seeing Yao wearing white shoes.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

yep,,, James stilll sucks.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In limited minutes, Rafer is a good role player. He was asked to play way more minutes than he was capable of last season. What stunned me was how bad SF looked. He is far behind the other main players in getting comfortable. At this point, Rafer needs to stay until SF gets more in the flow (which may take some time). As long as Rafer doesn't shoot much, he's OK for now. At some point, I still expect Rafer to be traded.

One guy who looked surprisingly good was Luther. Also, Harris grabbing 9 rebounds in just 19 minutes was crazy. This guy should make the team to see how he can develop. Rebounds are about instincts, lateral speed and boxing out. Harris has a knack for getting his hands on the rock.

My cut list for now is: Novak, JL3, Reed & Snyder. Snyder looked clueless. Novak still drifts around on offense like he doesn't know what to do. As the preseason goes on, things could change.

12. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

he was good when he wasnt the main designated distributer on the court. he looked good with tmac or rafer on the court alongside him to get them into the offensive set.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Depending on how bad his injury is. It could make him hard if not impossible to trade.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I thought he looked a little lighter on his feet in the white shoes for whatever reason.

15. jclee

jclee Member

Why did we get James back? for 12 and only 2 assists? even he's out there with the back-ups, he still needs to dish the ball. he was this way when he was here in the past and last couple of seasons with the other teams. he always will be looking to get his shot first. it's too bad for the team.

16. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

were u here in 04-05? my god. we want players like that. he'll pass when he plays w/ tmac and yao. i don't want him to pass when he plays w/ the 2nd unit.

rafer just is not a scorer. so he has to look to pass.

17. H-town_playa2k2

WTF, why do yall keep comparin the Rox to the Kings, this is getting annoying. What the hell did they accomplish but get owned by the Lakers every year. And lol at someone calling a Francis a poor mans Bobby Jackson. You should be slapped for a remark like that.

Francis>Bibby & B.Jackson
    T-Mac>Peja,Doug,Webber
    Yao>>>>>Vlade

18. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Pretty much agree with your cuts there.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that Luther is contributing more in a motion offense than he is under JVG's static offense. I've been saying this for awhile; he played in a motion offense at Illinois too, and Luther definitely showed a more complete offensive game there than with us during JVG's tenure. It shouldn't come as a big surprise that he's scoring more efficiently and perhaps even show some of his supposed 39" hops now in a more wide-open offense.

As for Alston, yeah, I do admit that they still might shop him even if he's playing great so far. But it's not so far-fetched to see him staying and contributing for the whole season too. Francis has been slow to pick up the offense, and imo, the most effective role on this team for Francis is as a one of the main offensive weapons with the 2nd unit as an SG anyway. Besides, James and Francis both have pretty short contracts, so keeping Rafer will at least guarantee that the offense doesn't crumble if either of the two leaves at the end of the season.

And don't quote me on this, but I have a feeling that the whole feel-good vibe about Francis's homecoming ain't gonna last more than a season. And it's not going to turn out pretty once he starts realising that he's not getting what he bargained for.

19. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

That's all I've got on game photos from the various Chinese website.

The media attention obviously shifted to the debut of Yi Jianlian of the Milwaukee Bucks versus Chicago Bulls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

word? yao is more established and much better than yi. but yi does have the chinese girls following him so i guess...