1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Celtics 1/2/2008

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 1, 2008.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The majority of fans don't consider either Yao or Tmac expendable, but that doesn't mean they are untouchable either. Trading either one for the "right deal" could make us better, but certainly just dumping either one to the first bidder would not help. It would all depend on who we got in return in the trade.

2. Ready

Ready Member

good point!

3. OrangeCountyCA

We played excellent in 3rd quarter and first half of 4th. But with 6 minutes left in the game Kevin Garnett took over. It seemed like he made every offensive and defensive play near the end.

4. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

I am really wondering 'which way is the ball bouncing to????'

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trading stars away will never make you a better team. It's always downhill and means you're going into a rebuilding phase. You trade away a star to get prospects and look to the future because you always get less present value in return - think of players as assets and then you can see that.

You have to look no further than history itself.

Shaq to Miami - did L.A. get better or worse - ask yourself?

Charles Barkley to Phoenix from Philly. Philly did not make the playoffs for a very long time.

Charles Barkley to Houston. Again, Phoenix went from a playoff team back to a mediocre team for quite a few years

Clyde Drexler to Houston - portland went to mediocrity for a few years.

Chris Webber / Peja out of Sacramento, Again, Sac-town went to mediocrity.

Ron Artest / Stephan Jackson out of Indiana - look at the Pacers now.

Kevin Garnet out of minnesota - Minnesota is worse then last year

Ray Allen out of Seattle. Seattle is a celler dweller

Yao Ming is 27 and has peaked. He probably has 4 or 5 years left before he starts to decline. That's his window - it's now. If you trade away t-mac, the Rockets will not be a better team, it will drop a level and move further away from a ring. I'm sorry to break it to you, but that how it works. You will not get anyone in return for T-mac that will help us, because T-mac is a depreciating asset. He's an expensive car that still can perform, but everyone knows that the car is going to break down eventually in a few years and isn't going to get better.

So what you can do is trade him to a team that is looking for a star to get it to the next level. A cleveland, an L.A., or similar type of team. But they aren't going to part with anyone who's key to their success - they will give you young players who will likely develop into good players or you will get draft picks. Or you will get a player who is demanding a trade or wants out - like a stephan marbury.

Point is, sometimes the smartest move you can make is to stay pat. Anyone who says Yao and T-mac can't win together doesn't know a lick about basketball in my opinion. They haven't had the supporting cast, and now they have a better one, and a better offense. I'd like to see if this works or not.

BUt some people don't want to see that, they just want to make changes and changes and changes. It's like a gold miner who digs for 2 minutes and decided that he needs to dig somewhere else because he didn't find gold on the first try.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess if you consider McGrady to be a "star", then you may have a point here. The problem though, is everyone you listed won a playoff series in their careers. So the Rockets really wouldn't have anywhere to go but up. How could they be going "downhill" when they haven't been out of the first round? What's downhill from that? At least the lottery gives you the chance to get better.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've lost to very good teams - Dallas and Utah aren't first round fodder. Getting out of the first round isn't easy.

Ask Dallas.

T-mac has indeed had a tough road, and yes, he must take some blame for his 1st round players. And Yao must take blame as well.

But having failed to get out of the first round isn't the kiss of death you are making it out to be. T-mac has gotten to a game 7 three times.

Trade T-mac, and you can kiss the playoffs goodbye this year, and probably next year. And by that time, Yao's opportunity to make a multi-year run for a ring may be in jeopardy.

8. zzc1818

zzc1818 Member

that's true. If the ref can treat Rox fairly maybe we've already get advance in Dallas

9. I love China

I love China New Member

y,i think so.

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Wow, Rockets shoot 23% from 3 point land and lose by 4 to Boston?? Celtics shoot 53% from the field and the juggernaut of the NBA beats the lowly Rockets by 4???

Boston has to feel very fortunate to get a win out of it.

Not going to win too many games where the 3 pointer doesnt go in 1/3rd of the time.

11. Seth

Seth Member

Actually 23% means that they are going in only less than 1/4th of the times.

12. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yes. Horrible percentage, won't win many games that way. 1/3rd is generally the goal for the Rockets which is why I said 1/3rd.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I totally disagree. Of course depends on who they'd get in return.