1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Cavaliers 1/5/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 5, 2013.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep opposing team's SG always goes crazy vs the Rox

2. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I must say first we don't run PNRs as often as most other teams. When we do most of them were just screens (picks) but there were no rolls.

If you look at Harden, most of the time he would not run across the screener to use him to stop the player guarding him, so it looked often as though he was just faking a screen, ot at best he is using just half a screen.

Our bigs are not coming up to the top to set up the screen as often as before. It seems that McHale has been trying to make Asik a better offensive weapon so he is now dwelling more at low post than before.

Kobe admitted that he is doing PNRs a lot more now at about 28% compared with around 12% before. That probably explains why he is shooting at a career high FG% and averaging 30.5 PPG, because he is getting less contested shots.

For the Rockets to go further than first round in the postseason, they really must master Picks and Rolls, or they are just handcuffing themselves.

I hope the coaching staff is already working on it.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Haha, sure thing, challenge accepted.

The amount of contact was not consistent with Lin's reaction.

I like Morris over Ppatt as well, but for another reason. I like Patterson's offense coming off the bench, he seems to work well with that second unit.

4. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

I would say half of the Rockets fanbase have set in their minds that Lin will never be as good as Dragic or Lowry. They are very upset that the Rockets are having success without them. They wanted the Rockets to suck to teach management a lesson.

5. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Fair comment on Lin.

6. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Have someone headbutt you in the nose and cheek bone area. See if you can hold your head back from the body's instant reaction to relieve the sharp pain.

7. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I suspect that most every Rockets fan wants Lin to develop to his full potential and that they embrace the contributions he is making to the team's success. I'm pretty sure that no one here wants the Rockets to suck for any reason, notwithstanding early season comments about tanking.

8. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Come on man just drop it. You've probably never played real contact basketball before. Nobody's talking down on Lin because he flopped, but at the end of the day, Lin did flop. If youve played basketball before youve been hit from many angles and even with a plastic mask on there is never enough force to make you flop to the ground like that. And you aren't going to get people to buy that it was justified. just let it go.

Um. this is Hardens first year as a starter too, this is his first year ever taking the role as a star where as before he's always had to lurk in the shadows of KD and Westbrook. You can't make excuses for him when other players are in similar situations. Harden is only 23 and he's dominating the NBA. Harden is a prime example of what separates stars, from superstars. Harden is our superstar.

9. wukong

wukong Member

The flopping rules are rather intriguing. An over embellishment versus a very quick athletic reaction can sometimes be difficult to distinguish. Part of the reason they are playing in the NBA (and we presumably are not) is they have fast twitch muscle beyond our ability to comprehend. A reaction that seems over embellished could simply be fast twitch muscle at its prime.

In replays you can determine if there was contact at all. If no contact and there is a grand throw back reaction that is a clear case of flopping. However if contact is there who is to say it is over reaction or athletic fast twitch reaction. It will be interesting to see this new rule play out in the next few years.

10. zdrav

zdrav Member

If you don't want people to flop, you shouldn't headbutt them. It wasn't as if Lin totally invented the contact. There was contact and he chose to sell it. Otherwise, Irving would've gotten away with a foul.

11. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Member

It's so true. All my buddies want Lin and the rockets to fail because of what happened to Dragic and Lowry. It's such a shame because this team have the potential to do something special.

12. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Member

You guys are on some serious drugs if you think Lin flopped on that play. Replays show contact and his head snapped back.

13. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Member

Good shot. Lean right onto him with his left shoulder and initiating contacts to Lins face.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

That's just stupid. Most of the Rockets fan base was here before Lin and will be here after Lin. The vast majority of Rocket fans always want the Rockets to do well regardless of who the players are or whatever moves the management makes. I can't imagine any true Rocket fan being upset that the Rockets are having success. I'm a Rockets fan, are you?

15. peter2012

peter2012 Member

I agree. Lin haters dont want to check the video, they just think Lin acted too much because they did not see any blood or broken nose.

16. hkomives

hkomives Member

One thing I like to point out is aside from his court vision and passing skills, things which teams can't learn to defend.

I do believe Houston being the highest scoring team in the NBA with the run and gun style have much to do with Jeremy Lin, it's been said he's the fastest in the NBA going foul line to foul line dribbling the basketball, teams can't learn to defend that.

James Harden going break away knowing Lin will find him, teams can't learn to defend that.

17. recboil

recboil Member

I'm pretty sure Lin won't get the flop warning. Even though his reaction was exaggerated, they were warranted....reviewing tape won't reveal any conclusive evidence to clear the call on the floor. His head snapped back b/c Irving's face/mask hit him in the face. As for his body falling backwards, it's because Irving pushed off to create room.

18. hkomives

hkomives Member

You must be talking about superstars in term of scoring points.

Steve Nash career average 14 points, and yet he's a superstar, Jeremy Lin can be a Steve Nash in my opinion.

19. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

McHale said the Rockets ran the fast-break the best when TD was on the floor.

20. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

its not stupid its human nature...at least this is how it is with many people in many other human endeavors not only in basketball...cause its one thing what people consciously want but what is happening unconsciously is totally different ballgame...and most of the feelings and emotions are mostly unconscious affair...