1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Cavaliers 1/5/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 5, 2013.

1. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Yeah, I don't really understand his inconsistency, though he's better overall lately.

Any theories?

2. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I am a fan on one Jeremy Lin. That should be obvious. It's not because he's Asian, no offense to the Asian homies and homegirls out there. It's not because he is an underdog, though I love a good underdog story as much as anyone else. I am a fan because of the way he plays the game. Unselfish, great court vision, fast and aggresive, clutch. Having said that, there's no way that Lin belongs in the all star game in terms of skill level. No ifs ands or buts about it. Stats don't back it up and the eye test doesn't back it up.

Though I do believe he will get there one day, I am as disappointed as much as anyone in Lin's passive/aggressive Jekyl and Hyde routine. Yes, I know he's young but so is Harden. There are no excuses for his lack of aggression. He should be demanding to get the ball back from Toney up top if his shot's not falling and should prove it once he gets it. That's just how it goes. And no guard with such a broken shot can be considered elite imo. I dogged Rubio and Rondo for it last year. I believe that until his shot comes back and it will, he is playing catch up to at least a dozen pgs out there.

Hopefully, he can get his game to a place where come playoff time, Harden can look to his right and see Lin ready to rock and roll.

3. raskol

His shot. You can't just drive every time even if Lin could get by his man any time he wants. Sometimes, the paint is not open and you've got to utilize your artillery. Lin's artillery is currently under repairs so he's hesitant and inconsistent. Once it comes back, he'll be good.

4. Viola

Viola Member

Many all-star player are inconsistent. Even a superstar like Harden would be ice-cold like last night at times. Lin is just not a good catch-n-shoot player. And he has been terrible off the ball. When the ball is on his hands, as if we assume he is playing for the Suns, he would be a consistent 18+8 guy for that so-called bad team.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The funny thing is, people use to rag on players who need the ball in their hands to be effective. Rockets fans hated Tmac because he was horrible off the ball

But with Lin, people seem to overlook that aspect. "He needs the ball more! How dare the coaches ask him to play off ball!"

6. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I am a fan of your vids and one of your subscribers. :)

7. raskol

Not true. Not many people would say that a pg has the ball in his hands too much. SGs, SFs, and PFs are a different story. Those positions are typical black hole positions, whereas a pg usually distributes the ball evenly, to their best player, or to who's hot. A center is a slightly different story. Even though there have been instances of centers being called a blackhole, generally, it is to the benefit of the team to feed their center as much as possible as they typically get the most efficient shots.

8. autoprt

autoprt Member

it's amazing, i had to work last night and didn't get to look at clutchfans as usual while watching the game and i expected to come here to see posts about how well the team played and all i see are posts complaining or talking about jlin and him deserving to get into the all star game.

i am going to have to start weening myself off this site, it's just getting too depressing and negative especially when we have a surprisingly fun good team to watch with a winning record, reading the posts you would never know it....

9. jeddah

jeddah Member

His position....Being a PG entails a lot of Responsibility so normally it'll lead to inconsistency especially for a young player like JLin is...in my opinion, these are the things that contributes to his over-all (in)efficiency..

1. Being the "official" PG of the team, it's his responsibility to make sure that they are running smoothly when they out there..anything amiss it'll be called after him..

2. He exerts too much effort on his Defense that sometimes it'll affect his Offense..You can't do both day-in and day-out with higher efficiency...in some nights, either of the two will suffer, especially in a back2back2back games..

3. He has to guard opposing PG's that are core of each team...and NBA is swarming with great PG's ranging from smaller ones to bigger ones..JLin has to adjust in each and everyone of them...

4. And lastly, maybe because he is the "Front liner" of the squad...opposing teams has to do a thorough scouting job on him in order to contain him...if they contain him they will have a higher chance of winning against the Rox...good thing is, a sharpshooter in Harden is always in standby in case opposing teams had made it through him...

I'm a Lin fan so don't take it against me if I'm quite biased....I'm only stating what I've seen with Lin so far...It'll take it that his game is not at best every time and I totally understand..what I can't understand is people downgrading his contributions to the team when in fact, he is one of the reasons why Rox are winning right now....he has to work his butt off in Defense to compensate for the team's defensive lapses....

10. raskol

I think the tide's turning though. Hang in there. It's gonna be a fun ride.

11. autoprt

autoprt Member

i mean i was really excited when i heard the houston score, i swore for some reason the team would have a lapse and lose last night and heard the score because i missed the game i was like yes can't wait to see the posts on clutchfans.... anyway, i have to learn to just ignore the bs and look for the good posts.

12. PeppermintCandy

I hear you man. :(

13. jeddah

jeddah Member

Don't know how to edit so I'll just make it here..Just to clarify, JLin is a combo-Guard/SG in college and he had to learn to be a PG when he enters NBA...

14. raskol

yeah, since that Raptors loss, we haven't had any letdowns and that is a very telling sign of how talented we are. Parsons is missing everything, something like 17 straight missed 3s and he's still underrated and an important piece of the puzzle. Asik is a defensive presence and rebounding juggernaut. Lin is improving. Harden is cementing his franchise player worthiness. Delfino and TD make a solid bench that we can depend on to score. Mook and PPat are playing their roles well. And we're only 23 on average! Once everyone learns to get along, it'll be all good. Starting with me, I apologize for my bit in the sillyness and will try to check myself more often. Hang in there.

15. autoprt

autoprt Member

agreed, also with jlin is one of those types that when needed can make plays and a winner and had to learn pg on the fly.

the thing no one knows over the long term how this is going to play out because jlin, harden or asik have gone a full season as starters.

that may be a bonus because their legs would be fresher than someone who's done over a few season but this in a way is a big experiment. i'm hoping as it looks because we are making it though the season so far. not sure how jlin will respond if the rockets get to the playoffs when things get racheted up a whole different level so turnovers will definitely go up then.....

16. autoprt

autoprt Member

i'm good i'm like if the team is playing well then everyone should just chill out. if the team was losing then i could understand all the friction....but anyone i'll learn to ignore until that happens.

17. autoprt

autoprt Member

thanks for the good vibe. i guess i'm just tired i work security and been up all night. going to bed. i'll feel better this afternoon watching some football.

18. Jedster

Jedster Member

I felt like you did until I started adding people to my ignore list. It's a good feature and it'll allow you to read through the comments without feeling like you just got dragged through the mud.

19. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Thanks, Ynnis! Glad you enjoy our work. :)

I'm pretty much an NBA addict. Have been for a long, long time. Starting watching Jeremy last year and was thrilled when he came to Houston.

Have a great day.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah but when you have Harden, who can make plays happen as well as Lin, you don't need the PG to have the ball all the time. Lin doesn't have to be nonexistent when he's off ball. Instead of camping and not moving, he can slash/cut. Or if he is going to camp, when Harden makes that move, instead of standing still, go towards harden or slide a couple feet, just to make it harder on the help defender.