1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Bobcats 11/11/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 10, 2007.

1. awesome1129

awesome1129 Member

says hes got undisclosed "family issues". sounds familiar? steve is becoming last year's Bonzi, *sigh*

2. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Don't know if anybody notices the left of Okafor. Is that a foul?
    I think it is.

3. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

Dirty Okafur man, one hand on guy's abdomen. I don't blame Mcgrady, I know fans b**** about going to the hole on every possesion, but if i knew there are so many dirty hands down there (you know broke back moutain happened in the nba court before), I will settle with my jumper too.

4. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

It just so happens Cuttino got his groin pulled, so you know. Francis needs to be there to comfort him through hard times.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Lol omg I hope thats not an innuendo

6. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Man Tmac really stepped up for us tonight. Was super clutch and D'd up Wallace when it counted. Also what ticks me off is how we destroyed this team last yr in Charlotte, I think we won by 30+ pts, and that was a JVG coached team. I have feeling with Adelman, we will not have as many blowout wins just he doesn't stress sustained defense for 48 mins!

7. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

We held them to under 40% shooting...our defense was just peachy.

8. IndonesiaFans

IndonesiaFans Member

It's prove Okafor can't do anything to Yao..
    Bravo...

9. sale138571

sale138571 Member

Yeah! Okafor should be more diligent!

10. Matador

Matador Member

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/recap_rockets_071111.html

Bobcats Fall Just Short Against Rockets
    By Matt Rochinski
    bobcats.com

November 11, 2007

Turning point:
    The Charlotte Bobcats knew it wouldn’t be an easy task to knock off the hottest team in the Western Conference coming into Sunday’s game with the Houston Rockets. Yet here was Gerald Wallace driving the lane and trying to get off a potential game-winning shot over Tracy McGrady with 3.5 seconds remaining and Charlotte down 83-82.
    While the shot didn’t fall, the nearly 12,000 fans in attendance at Charlotte Bobcats Arena erupted when they heard the referee’s whistle blow in anticipation of seeing Wallace go to the line for what would have been two clutch free throws.
    The only problem was McGrady wasn’t whistled for the foul on Wallace. Instead, it was Wallace who was whistled for the offensive foul against McGrady. Two Mike James free throws later and with no timeouts remaining, the Bobcats (3-3 overall) saw a chance for their fourth victory instead turn into their third defeat of the young season, 85-82.
    While Wallace, like nearly every Bobcats fan in attendance, felt he might have been fouled on the drive, Bobcats Head Coach Sam Vincent knew it wasn’t any easy call to make.
    “It’s a tough call,” said Vincent. “We got it to a point where we would want it with a one-point game and a chance at the rim and we just didn’t get it. Playing Houston (6-1) as tough as we did and getting all the way to a last-second shot is a confidence builder. We had some young guys out there who had to make tough decisions, and I thought for the most part, they did a good job of making those decisions. This is where we have to grow.”

What went right:
    Yes, Yao Ming finished with 34 points and eight rebounds, and Tracy McGrady followed with 26 points and eight boards of his own, but Charlotte was able to execute its game plan as scripted, giving the Bobcats the shot to win this one in the end.
    “I think our team played pretty well tonight,” said Matt Carroll after scoring a team-high 17 points off the bench. “We knew that Yao Ming was going to score and Tracy McGrady was going to score, and we kind of wanted to shut down everybody else. We executed that pretty well, but it just came down to a couple positions at the end. That’s the NBA. We’ve been in these situations before, we just couldn’t pull it out.”
    Charlotte’s defense held the rest of Houston’s squad to 21.9 percent shooting (7-32) from the field, with no other Rocket outside of Yao and McGrady connecting on more than two field goals (Rafer Alston had two).
    “That team (the Bobcats) in the other locker room played really hard for 48 minutes,” McGrady said. “They made us work. They took us out of our offense. They had us scrambling all over the basketball court.”

What went wrong:
    When Matt Carroll drained his third three-pointer of the evening with 6:05 remaining to put Charlotte up 74-67, Charlotte Bobcats Arena was rocking while the Bobcats seemed to be rolling.
    Enter Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady.
    T-Mac threw down a dunk on the Rockets next trip down the court, followed by a 14-foot turnaround jumper by Yao on Houston’s next possession to cut the lead to 74-71. McGrady then rattled off the Rockets next 10 points before Yao connected on two free throws with 20.4 seconds left to put Houston ahead for good, 83-82, on its way to the win.
    “I don’t think there’s a better one-two combination (in the NBA),” Gerald Wallace said. “Tracy is a great offensive player – he’s an all-star who creates his own shots and is able to get to the basket and finish. Yao Ming is basically what they call him, ‘The Great Wall of China.’ Once he posts in the block, he’s so hard to guard. Your best defense against him is to try and not let him get the ball, because once he gets the ball, he’s pretty much unstoppable. Plus, he’s a good passer who sees the floor well and gets his teammates the ball in good positions. That might be the best one-two combination since M.J. (Michael Jordan) and (Scottie) Pippen.”

Player of the game:
    Among all the Bobcats players, Matt Carroll stood out the most for his play of the bench Sunday night. He scored a team-high 17 points on 6-10 shooting and hit 3-4 three pointers. He also dished out one assist and did not turn the ball over.
    After putting up 2.0 points in 12.5 minutes off the bench in the Bobcats first two games, Carroll has averaged 14.0 points in 28.3 minutes as a reserve, while scoring in double-digits in all four contests.
    “I’m getting adjusted to my new role,” said Carroll. “It’s a little bit different from last year, but I’ve come off the bench before. I’m just trying to be really aggressive. I think if I come out and be confident and aggressive, that’s the best way for me to get into a rhythm and start knocking some shots down.”

Fantasy performer of the game:
    I tend to look for a Charlotte player here who really might have made a difference on someone’s fantasy squad, and tonight, that had to be Raymond Felton. He finished with 16 points, including two treys, handed out four assists, brought down four rebounds and had two steals.
    Emeka Okafor recorded his fifth double-double in six games with 12 points and 11 boards to go along with two blocks, and he’s becoming a consistent fantasy factor in the middle.
    However, if there was one guy who might have put you over the edge on a Sunday night when you were needing those extra points, rebounds, blocks or had to have a little spike in your field goal percentage, then Yao Ming was your guy. He had 34 points on 13-15 shooting from the field, eight rebounds, four assists and three blocked shots. Those are the kind of numbers that can make or break a week for you.

Stat line of the game:
    Two things that have troubled Charlotte to start the 2007-08 season – free throw shooting and turnovers – were not much of an issue on Sunday.
    The Bobcats shot 93.3 percent (14-15) from the charity stripe and coughed up just 12 turnovers compared to the Rockets 19 miscues. So what stat hurt the Bobcats the most?
    Actually, it was two stats. Charlotte was out-rebounded 47-34, including 11-8 on the offensive glass, accounting for Houston’s 18-14 edge in second-chance points. The Bobcats were also turned away seven times, while they blocked just three of the Rockets attempts. Those blocks played a part in Houston’s 40-32 scoring edge in the paint.
    In a game decided by three points, falling behind in these categories could have made the difference.

Quote of the game:
    Sunday’s loss might have been a little harder for Head Coach Sam Vincent to take. After losing by large margins to Phoenix and in Philadelphia, this was Vincent’s first close NBA loss as head coach. Still, he’s trying to pull the positive out of a negative result.
    “Whenever you lose, it’s a tough loss, especially in a game where you really have a chance to win it at the end,” he said. “It’s a painful one, but in this league, they come quick and go quick. We have to take what we can as positives and apply the same kind of effort to our games against Miami (Tuesday) and in Atlanta (Wednesday) coming up.
    “We’ll look at the film, look at how we executed in the last five minutes of the game and figure out what we can take from it in order to make this team better. But I thought for a young team, our guys held together, and I thought they played well.”

11. apocclass

apocclass Member

chuck hayes and rafer alston should not be starters on an NBA team, period.

alot of people cant seem to see just how much these players hurt simply because we still win alot of games, but we MUST upgrade over them or we are going to really struggle to get out of the first round NO MATTER WHO WE PLAY. even if we were to get a 1 seed this year i would very worried about a possible matchup with the lakers, hornets, or nuggets.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I like this! :D

13. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

rockets dodged bullet today. i was afraid the game was goin to be closer than it should. good thing we came out on top. 6-1!!!!!!!!!!!

14. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

15. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

16. tmac&Yao

tmac&Yao Member

If we play like tonight in the playoffs,we will be swept,guys,did we win a
    game in which T-MAC and YAO both got about 10 points?But the dallas and
    spurs did this,they can still win when Dirk or Ducan got about 10 points,calm
    down,we are so far from a playoff team not to say a championship team,the
    bench did too less to support our two stars,if it continue this,our stars will be
    too tired to play in the playoffs,why not play steve,he can decrease the
    pressure for T-MAC and YAO.
    Coach A,what are you hesitating to play steve?

17. tsunami

tsunami Member

wow, a SOF.... Steve sucks now....

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

19. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

that was quick. thanks abunch

20. Red1

Red1 Member

Ugly game, but a W is still a W.Thank god for the clutch free throw shooting late in the 4q, and mad props to Yao for holding his own from the tip-off to the final buzzer.

I also would like to thank T-mac for playing some real nice D in the final minutes. I swear he's one of the best defenders in the L when he digs in and is intent on stopping his man.