1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 5/2/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 6)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

In all 4 wins over Houston this season, Aldridge has had 29 or more points, and shot over 50% from the field.

In all 5 losses to Houston this season, Aldridge has had 28 or fewer points, and shot under 50% from the field.

The key to stopping Portland is doing exactly what Houston has been doing.

The Twin Tower lineup is the perfect lineup against them. It keeps LMA out of the paint, and helps Houston secure boards.

The key will be getting Lamarcus or Lopez in foul trouble early.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Are we just going to ignore Parson's choice of pants?

3. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I hope the Rockets players don't think like this.. The real learning from the first 4 games is this.. you have to take every possession seriously and play hard and confident every minute of every game. That's how you win.

4. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

Never play like you have a lead. I wish McHale would tell our guys, whenever we're up by more than 3 possessions or 10 points, that we play like it's a new ball game! Keep increasing the lead!

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Asik's NIKE shirt looks circa 1985

6. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

that's cuz Asik is old school and that's the way he likes it

7. ThaShark316_28

Do, Part Deux.

3-3.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This series is following the same pattern as the one vs Utah in the 08 playoffs. I was actually more confident in them wining game 6 with the depleted roster than this squad.

Portland is completely nonchallant while down double digits heading into the 4th every single game and the always manage to take the lead at one point.

9. tmacfor35

Morey on 610 when asked if he expected Aldridge to have a good game 6?

Sounded perplexed that Aldridge was playing so well with the paint dominance that the Rockets have had.

Aldridge has been abysmal from the perimeter. What you saw game 1 and 2 were Aldridge's results from selling his soul to the devil.

I expect the Rockets to win big. I feel Portland's been fairly lucky to keep these games close while relying on contested jump shots, and Houston owning the paint battle.

10. tmacfor35

They don't feel alike whatsoever.

Our team is much more talented than that team was, and Portland has a ton of playoff inexperience.

Utah was also much more physical and had a balanced attack.

11. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Bring out the Yellow and Red uniforms

12. chatterjb

chatterjb Member

I want to make myself believe the Rockets are going to win this game, but the objective me is just having a really hard time believing it's going to happen. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

I think one thing that's not being discussed enough, post-Game 5, is fast-break points. The Rockets best offense is to get out on the break. They were able to do that in Game 5 because, overall, they played better team defense and Portland coughed the ball up in turnovers enough for the Rockets to score on the break (particularly Parsons). It's how Houston exploded in the middle of the 2nd with that 17 point lead. Portland will make it a point to not let that happen again in Game 6. It's in their best interest to keep the game at a reasonable pace and limit turnovers. I also think Asik on Aldridge with Howard cheating off his man has indeed worked in helping slow Aldridge down. He won't admit it, but it has had an effect. Can we limit Aldridge to 8 points in Game 6? Probably not, but I still like this defensive approach.

Idunno, I get the feeling this is going to be yet another crazy, crazy game that goes down to the wire. Overtime very much in the mix. The problem is the Rockets have shown repetitively that they are not able to execute down the stretch consistently in order to win a game like this. Love it or hate it, Portland (mainly with the ball in Lillard's hands), has done a better job at getting a good, high-percentage shot and working it within the confines of their offense. Harden has been the polar opposite. We shall see what happens. May the odds forever be in out favor.

13. Rockness

Rockness Member

Mike Tirico, Hubie Brown, Heather Cox for tomorrow night, no JVG...Hubie is going to have a field day with stats on Aldridge and Harden ughhh

14. Asian Sensation

Game 6 is a buy one get one. If we win game 6 we will blow them out in game 7 I have no doubt.

Keys to game 6.

Who: Robin Lopez
    What: Foul trouble
    Where: The paint
    When: Early and often
    Why: Because

There's a lot of things we need to focus on but the biggest KEY TO VICTORY in my opinion is to get Lopez in early foul trouble. We need to attack him aggresively by establishing Dwight and our guards need to drive and draw contact from him. This opens up the paint for our guards and CP to get to the bucket and TT to dominate inside. Lopez is the anchor of their defense and he's been a pest this series. The offensive rebounds, the easy putbacks, his stupid hook shot that always seems to go in, ending up with loose-balls etc. If we can get Lopez out of the game it would make life on us so much easier.

15. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

I think if D12 + Asik keep grabbing boards and the team, as a whole, plays good defense (best if we can get hold down Lopez or LMA - Lillard will get his), we have a decent chance.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like this idea

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We're going to win.

18. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

I see you and raise you ~ Lin throws down a tomahawk dunk on a fast-break steal with the game tied with 43 seconds to go.

19. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

20. i3artow i3aller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.