1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 4/25/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Dementium

Dementium Member

I think hes a very instinctual type of player. Its when he overthink things that he gets into trouble.

I can live with him going for the win with the layup.

2. yummyhawtsauce

it sends the wrong message to the other team, that you can just clobber one of our guys, dwight should have at least stepped in and gave aldridge a dismissive light shove or something

3. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I disagree with this. I could see it either way. If you're up 3 with 50 secs to go, BUT you have a clear path to the basket (which Lin had), you take the layup and end the game. 95% of the time the layup goes in. He blew the play, but I was ok with it. Had there been on 30 seconds left I would think differently. But 50 secs is very long. You delay, but no if there is a clear path. In any case I don't think it was a stupid decision. I think it was close either way. Just blew an easy one, which the rockets have done for the past three games.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

4 opponents in front of you <> clear path

5. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

From the video, he noticed that their body position was straight up so he used his quick step to try and beat them and opened up a decent lane. Not that it was a great idea but going full speed towards the basket with a lengthy defender behind you kinda makes it hard for the shot to go in.

BUT, he's done it before. Defenders aren't paying attention or are relaxed and he takes advantage of it with his quickness. His gambit didn't pay off this time and we were burned and went into OT.

Let's just hope he learned his lesson this time. This is his first playoff series that he's actually participating fully in so dude is lacking in experience. Not that you really need experience to read the situation in the first place. I just want to win, and the sooner Lin does more good than bad more frequently, the better we are for it.

6. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I know what you mean. When I was watching it live I kept waiting for someone to help him up. I saw Dwight nearest to him not doing anything I wondered what was happening.

Dwight could have light shoved Aldridge but you don't want him to take the risk. We were 4 down with 2 FTs to come, right? You don't want to negate Lin's hard fought points with a tech called on Dwight.

Lastly, got to give credit to Lin for making those 2 FTs. I was so worried that he would miss at least 1 knowing he just got clubbed by a 7 footer in the middle of the face.

7. PeppermintCandy

This entire team seems to thrive on playing by instinct, which I think reflects the amount of freedom they're usually given.
    But win or lose this series, I think they would be helped by having more structure and discipline in their play going into future seasons.

8. Razsan

Razsan Member

he blew by ALL of them like they were standing still....but keep hatin'

9. Razsan

Razsan Member

The way the refs were calling the game (meaning who knows WHAT they would call). Dwight likely gets thrown out for "retaliating"

10. mig0s

mig0s Member

Rofl. I think you're the definition of rock bottom oq

1 person likes this.
  11. mig0s

mig0s Member

^rock bottom iq*

12. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

lmao. so many fans here misread a 80+% layup to seal the deal make it 2 possessions differential game in 40s shows how awful the average BB IQ this board is. that's why stat and other analytical technology such as sportsVU, instead of BB fans, is needed in modern sports.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Why is this even a discussion? With 50 seconds left, up 3, you have to know time and score. Any coach will tell you to pull it out and hold for a two for one situation. It was the wrong decision to try and get a quick score, but who cares at this point? We won.

14. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Nah, both were the right moves.

9 out of 10 times Lin's going to make that layup. He had a clear path but unfortunately missed. I'm glad he was aggressive. That aggressiveness is also how he helped us score a third of the points in overtime.

Likewise passing to Daniels was the right move too. They know how good Daniels is at shooting the 3. Also, Dwight was covered. If Lin passed it to him they would have fouled and then we would have to depend on Dwight's free throws.

Even if Dwight made both we would still only be up 2 and there would be enough time for them to set up a play for a tie or 3.

15. davli

davli Member

No Fu*king Overtime!!! Not tonight!!!