1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 4/25/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 3)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Dementium

Dementium Member

2. goyao11

goyao11 Member

The problem is that being a Lin fan and a Rockets fan is not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of Lin fans, myself included, who have been here since the Yao/Tmac era or earlier, and love our Rockets. When we try to discuss the Rockets in an optimistic way, it often includes Lin as he is a key part of our success as a team. We immediately get shut down by 'true fans' simply for mentioning that we don't think Lin is trash... By posting comments as the one quoted, Clutch drives a wedge further bewteen people who are moderate Lin fans and those who try to bite the head off of anybody who mentions Lin.

As for hating on Harden and McHale before the game and being pessimistic, that is hardly isolated to Lin Fans. People were criticizing Harden left and right (and rightfully so after his performances), so I don't believe that it is fair to say that it was only Lin Fans (if it was at all) who contributed to the negativity.

Clutch has a lot of sway as the site runner, and he should be more careful of the tone he is setting. Of course, unless he intends to set a tone one way or another; as I mentioned, it is purely his prerogative as the site runner.

1 person likes this.
  3. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I am very disappointed in what Clutch did there. Lin's play would have been brilliant had he scored. Also iirc didn't Parsons screwed up a similar play from half court for the win as well?

I am sorry but I am quite annoyed when the site owner as a moderator takes sides when they should always be neutral. I am not even a LOF but I know some here are treating me as one.

4. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Dude of course it's just business not personal :rolleyes:

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I disagree. I don't think any Lin fans, who is also a fan of the NBA and the game of basketball, actually believes he is a superstar. That is strawman.

Additionally, it wasn't only Lin fans who were critical of Harden and McHale after game 1 and 2.

I know there were issues with LOF's before, but I think the "extremists" are gone for the most part. The Rockets fans who are also Lin supporters (these are not mutually exclusive) are much more moderate in their views and usually defend Lin only when he is bashed inconsistently; relative to the other Rockets players. Like you said, Lin is not a superstar but he is often criticized at the standards of superstars. People say he is an overrated, role player but unless he has a near-perfect game, people will find a way to bash him. Which is it? Role player or superstar? He is what he is. An imperfect player that makes some good plays and some bad ones.

There may be Lin fans who secretly "take pleasure in Harden or McHale screwing up" but I hardly see it because they don't voice it on the BBS. I do see LOHs that openly "take pleasure" in Lin screwing up.

6. 9495

9495 Member

Yes, LOFs may be biased, but that shouldn't be the reason the moderator is biased against Lin.

7. autoprt

autoprt Member

it's truly sad overall that i went to bed the happiest i went to bed in a while only to wake up and come here to find out the LOH vs LOF civil war has gone nuclear.

we're a team and a family and last night good and bad i feel lin became a rocket because he is now a part of a historical event in rox history.

LOF's and LOH's are both blinded and totally biased in opinions but it's American and they have the right to their feelings but we're as bad as the Dems and Repubs in DC to where instead we're coming together as a family I see we're only falling into a zone that is only getting worse and worse.

The only solution is for this rockets team to go deep in the playoffs where we are going to see good and bad play from everyone. Hopefully we can win this series and maybe for a day until the next series there will be peace on the board.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Still, I don't understand the animosity. So what if he brought his "asian" fans over? The reality is, many fans became fans of the Rockets for one player or another, and they stayed Rockets fans. Steve Francis, McGrady, heck even Chuck Hayes had fans. So if I am a fan of Deron Williams because I went to Univ. of Illinois, that is okay but someone can't be a Lin fan because he's asian?

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Exactly and it is quite obvious now. Lin only fans were a problem in 2012, but its pretty much the opposite now. Anyone who has a join date from July 2012 on is almost automatically labeled a Lin fan if they say something positive about him. Lin is just an average to slightly above average guard who is capable of having superstar games, as well as scrub games. Im surprised at the standards he is held to.

10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Even at the playoff game during game one, some guy said Lin is only here because he brings "a certain fan to the game". Then Lin made a shot right after he said that and I turned around and looked at him.

11. autoprt

autoprt Member

excellent point, i actually came here as a Uconn grad because of Jeremy Lamb. I really started liking the team and still watch Lamb excel personally as a player from afar but I could never root personally for OKC as a team.

12. Normalus

Normalus Member

Why TJones still playing any minutes if he's just the worst player on our play-offs roster. He was destroyed by everyone and did nothing to help this team win.

13. autoprt

autoprt Member

it's about matchups and he doesn't match up well against Portland. he was a starter all year and we have to keep him engaged but hopefully if we can get to round 2 i'm sure he's going to be a factor. but each game is different and in the playoffs you have different people step up. maybe game 4 tj will make a big difference. when his game is on and he's contributing the rox are hard to stop.

14. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

The fact that Lin missed that layout sucked badly (and worse, that it resulted in a fast-break game-tying 3 pointer), but the fact that he took it wasn't that bad - it was a high-percentage attempt - I am certain he felt horrible about missing the shot. Also remember, we also prefer an AGGRESSIVE Lin over a PASSIVE Lin.

At the beginning of OT, that miss is already history. Lin could've gone several ways: he easily get angry at himself and become overly aggressive, trying to make up for the miss.

He could have lost all his will and energy to play and essentially given up and turn into PASSIVE Lin...

...or he could try to forget about that shot and focus on the game, and try to contribute any way he could (as Harden tried to get him to do).

Here is the Rockets breakdown in OT (total: 11 pts)

Howard - missed 2 hook shots, 2 boards, 2 PFs
    Parsons - fouled out
    Beverly - 2 boards
    Harden - 4 pts: 1/2, 2FT, 1 Ast
    Lin - 4 pts: 1/2, 1 TO, 2FT, 1 Ast
    Daniels - 3 pts (game winner)

Although a bit chaotic, it was a great energetic team effort in OT.

In OT, Lin essentially did what he was supposed to do (be a mini-Harden).

But for a couple of off-the-bench players, I would say Lin and Daniels contributed just fine!

1 person likes this.
  15. autoprt

autoprt Member

great point lin was really going spastic and so hard on himself, i never saw him like that in my mind i was thinking we just lost lin and harden talked him off the ledge like a true leader and got his head back into the game let him know it was ok.

16. Normalus

Normalus Member

How Spurs Duncan&Splitter will make it any better matchup? Get Donuts involved cause it may be late. I agree TJones can be good against all other play-off teams, but Blazers&Spurs will destroy him every single game.

17. autoprt

autoprt Member

i hear you and what you say is true but tjones is a young player and will be good can't crush his confidence because at some point down the road we will need him or the alternative is we throw him to the end of the bench and then he gets traded only to come back and haunt us like batum and so many other ex rockets who play like all stars when the rox come to town.

18. archinkent

archinkent Member

I was labelled a LOF even when I joined way before. To be honest I see that term as a joke now that is being constantly misused.

Surprised to see Clutch using it to be honest since he was strictly against the use of YOF/TOFs last time. But whatever it's his site and he can do whatever he wants.

19. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Anyone have a video of Parsons missing the dunk?

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I'm probably being a homer but I felt like the Blazers are getting way more calls than the Rockets. It's frustrating to see Aldridge hack Howard and get away with it while Howard and Asik get whistled for touching Aldridge or contesting drives by jumping straight up and down. The Mo Williams 4 point play was another particularly bad one in my opinion