1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Raptors @ Rockets 12/21/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 21, 2005.

1. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Funny enough I saw the Graham twin brothers yesterday at the Galleria also, I didn't realise then it was them, but the face was so familliar... When I saw them again at the game tonight, it became all clear. One of them bought an Ipod at the Apple store.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I want OFFENSE......at least when Amare goes down Phoenix can still score....

Defense does NOT win championships in the NBA, you have to score the ball to win.

DD

3. jlwee

jlwee Member

I admit, I am one of those, before the season starts, who think Rockets are the 2nd BEST team in the West behind Spurs.

But after 20plus games into the season, I know I am wrong, dead wrong. The Rockets outside of T-mac and Yao, basically have nothing, ZERO!

Look at the roster:-
    Juwan Howard - Old and inconsistent. One night he shoots the light out, the other he will shoot 0/7FG, 1/9FG.

Stro - I hate anyone related to Lakers but i have to admit Jerry West is right! Stro is... soon gonna be one of the worst 2nd picks in the draft history!

RyBo - He is a 12th man. That's it!

Wesley - 1 or 2 Productive years left in the tank.

Head - A rookie. Should have a bright future if use correctly.

Rafer Alston - He is a myth but all the rockets need him to do is just made open shots and dish the ball. Should be able to average 10pts 5assts per game.

Players like Deke, DA, Barry, sura are all on their last legs....

So the conclusion the spare parts are just not right. Our front court are really thin and our backcourt are really old and slow. Even the rockets make it to the playoffs this year just dont think rockets can do any damage, i.e probably another first round exit.

Cd really got lot of work to do the next summer!!

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Because we like them so much and we want to see championship basketball.

5. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i still think that with the right coach, mcgrady, yao and swift could be a deadly trio. jvg's offense is too stagnant. with an offense that moved the ball more and cut more it would open things up a lot near the basket. it pains me to think how much better this team could be with a better offensive scheme.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That would have to be a team that had a PG that could run the break. Rafer may be that man, it's hard to tell. But we sure didn't see much break when he was playing earlier in the year.

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

Did you read my post? I said to layoff Tmac since he's not 100 percent PLUS he has a new child coming. Guy is probably physically and emotionally spent right now. He had one bad game.

I also said no ONE person is to blame - except for maybe Stromile since he's been such a damn bust.

After hearing people on this board bash Yao and call him a p*ssy for the last month for not "carrying the team on his back" or being "the MAN" - yes I am a little smug. Seems from the postgame quotes that playing against double and triple teams is actually a difficult thing. Heck - some supposedly real Rocket fans here get pissed when their center makes the All Star game.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

What sucks is I thought (and probably a lot of others here too) we were gettting 3 quality players in Stromile, DA, and Rafer that would all conceivably be starting. Instead - all we did was get a year older.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm beginning to understand why Memphis was content to let him walk. IF he had game, they would have made some effort to keep him. Unfortunately, after 5 years in the league, what you see from Swift is what you're going to get. Those folks who continue to subscribe to the theory that JVG will somehow unlock all of his "potential" are deluding themselves. This is looking more and more like another lost year for the Rockets and there have been quite a few of those with this team ever since they moved here from San Diego.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

You and a lot of people felt that way. Regardless, we did the right thing and tried to acquire these three guys to address our problems from last year. Sadly, it was a gamble that didn't work to our favor, so it's time to go back to the drawing board.

11. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Man, last nite's game was so frustrating. I just dont understand how The Rockets can be so flat at home. They just have a different intensity on the road. I dont get it. This game and the Memphis game at home were two of worst games I have ever attended.

12. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

Well said.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I watched Rafer play last year, and I think he has the ability to really contribute. Yes, he struggled in a few games he played in the beginning. But who wouldn't, new to JVG's system?:) But we could all see that he tried very hard to blend in, which means he believes in JVG's system and wants to get everyone involved. Isn't that we all wanted for the past 3 years? Now he's on the IL, it takes time for him to come up and become 100%. But I am not writing him off now.

As for DA, we were disappointed in the beginning, but as of late, before his injury, we were all pleased with his improvement. There is still complaints that he shoots too much and passes not enough, but at least he hustles and makes more shots. The more he plays with those guys, the more familiar he will be with the team and system, I can certainly see that he becomes a contributing role player.

Swift's case is more difficult and disappointing, maybe it's our own fault to set the expectation too high. There must be a reason he didn't make the starting lineup in Memphis, and there must be a reason for West to let him go. He might not be the smartest guy in basketball, but I still like his attitude. The kid is not a cooky underachieve player, who doesn't give a $hit. I still like his attitude, he wants to learn, is relatively humble, and is willing to deffer to TMac and Yao. I think JVG and TMac can help him improve, and there will be chemistry problem. I won't call him a bust now, not yet.

Our record doesn't speak our quality, even with a bunch of so-called YMCA role players. We had lots of key injuries, and we just finished the toughest schedule part. There is no reason that we can't be better, even with current roster, of course those guys need to be back.

It's frustrating to see nothing goes as planned, but I am sort of used to that, so I am still optimistic. Before down, it's the darkest.

14. Stunna

Stunna Member

Well I already was beginning to think this, but when i hear it from Van Gundy himself, it's even more discouraging. all that anticipation before the season, and it's now "slipping away from us...". no ifs, ands or buts about it, we have to be one of the hottest teams in the league once yao gets back.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did JVG basically give up on Stro in this game? Stro only played 13 minutes. If your trying to get him more involved, then 13 minutes isn't going to cut it. If your losing anyway, then wouldn't you try to keep him in and get him going with more playing time. If you want to blame Stro for poor play, then that is fine but 13 minutes isn't a lot of playing time. Let him play 30 minutes and see what he does. Hell, he only had 3 shots. Why don't we run some plays through him?

I guess JVG felt we needed more size and went with Baxter for 14 minutes who didn't do much better than Stro was doing except he had 2 blocks. But, I think you have to play Stro more than 13 minutes and, if he sinks, then so be it. At least we will feel him out and see what he really brings to the team.

Edit: Nevermind...I forgot Stro took one in the 'nads. Doh!

#275 Surfguy, Dec 22, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  16. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

How does McGrady sleep at night with only 7pts?

(Living in Dallas & not seeing games w/o league pass is "teh p00p"! So, I may not know what I'm talking about . . . )