1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Nuggets @ Rockets 3/20/2017

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 20, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And I'm not dismissing Harden's accomplishments. But it isn't a good comparison, because Kobe led them to #1 seed.

When you say, "take history into account" and point to Kobe's MVP, aren't you just comparing stats and not the all important #1 seed part of MVP history? You say 57 wins like it was not impressive. The West had 8 teams with 50-win seasons that year, and 5 teams with 55 wins. They were beating up on each other in a stacked conference, and Kobe came out on top with the best record. Maybe Chris Paul wins that year, instead (he got second in the voting), had he finished with best record....which he almost did.

Bynum got injured, too, and didn't even play the second half of the year or playoffs. They weren't stacked. Lakers played 20 games with both Gasol and Bynum out of the lineup...with several starts by Kwame Brown and Ronny Turiaf, not to mention Luke Walton as a starter....lulz

anyhoot: I just like talking NBA history, a lot. Go HARDEN!

2. WestendMassive

I think my Lakers/Kobe hate has clouded my memory and now that you mention it, I agree that I've unfairly discounted the context of the #1 seed, in what was a deeper Western Conference.

I took a cursory look at the stats and thought that Harden's season stacked up, maybe even surpassed Kobe's.

Do you think voters will take context into account this year though? Seems like the 16-17 MVP is all about stats, especially for those pushing the WB wheelbarrow.

3. threepointshot3

Denver just thrashed a full strength Cavs team. Denver is no joke man. If I am the Warriors this is a team I am bringing my"'A" game against because they can cause a major upset with that offense.