1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Nuggets @ Rockets 1/23/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Arthurprescott2

Harden - 14.8 TOV%
    Lin - 20.2 TOV%
    Asik - 20.3 TOV%

Those 3 are our biggest offenders. Harden leads this team and maybe the league in TOs but part of that is purely due to the insane # of possessions he uses on this team (29.4 USG% is SKY high).

Lin's TOV% is down 1 from last year - but 20 is still a very bad number.

2. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

It's great I am not the only one b****ing about this. Not all the TOs are equally impact the games. Some TOs are good TOs which are just simply the by-product of playing aggressive team basketball.
    But some TOs are very ugly, like Harden's ISO at the top. They give away easy points for the other team. It kills the team's momentum. Enough had said.:mad:

3. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

that tells me something. TO sometimes is irrelevant to win. he had worse TO last year but he still won games. now he has been taken care of the ball better but we lost.:mad:

4. Arthurprescott2

It might just be that he's using his possessions differently. Lin's not really attempting high risk/high reward plays much unless you count bounce passes to Omer. But in any case, I don't think a change of 1 is significant.

5. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Yes there are so many bad TOs in this game, it is like watching a comedy act. I don't see other teams do that. Rockets need to practice more together as a group, they are not in sync.
    :(

6. Hous-TO-n

Hous-TO-n Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFP9nQ7FHlI&feature=youtu.be

I just saw an epic clip of yesterday's game.

7. torocan

torocan Member

TOV% is a problematic statistic, in that the more you chuck the ball, the lower it goes. In simple turns, if you shoot a lot, it goes down, even if those shots are ill advised.

Sooo... if we want to actually distill ball handling a bit better, I think a better place to start is 82games where you can actually remove the ball chucking factor.

James Harden
    Passing Stats - 197 assists, 63 Passing TO's, 3.1 Assist/bad pass, 7.0 Passing rating
    TO/Ball handling - 18 offensive fouls, 63 bad passes, 56 ball handling TO, 16.1 Hands rating

Omer Asik
    Passing Stats - 41 assists, 23 Passing TO's, 1.8 Assist/bad pass
    TO/Ball Handling - 23 offensive fouls, 23 bad passes, 30 ball handling TO, 5.4 Hands rating

Jeremy Lin
    Passing Stats - 237 assists, 61 Passing TO's, 3.9 Assist/bad pass
    TO/Ball Handling - 9 offensive fouls, 61 bad passes, 46 ball handling TO, Hands rating 23.3

Carlos Delfino
    Passing Stats - 68 assists, 24 Passing TO's, 2.8 Assist/bad pass
    TO/Ball Handling - 2 offensive fouls, 24 bad passes, 11 ball handling TO, Hands rating 16.8

Chandler Parsons
    Passing Stats - 130 assists, 26 passing TO's, 5.0 assist/bad pass
    TO/Ball Handling - 9 offensive fouls, 26 bad passes, 42 ball handling TO, Hands rating 14.5

Patrick Patterson
    Passing Stats - 39 assists, 29 passing TO's, 1.9 assist/bad pass
    TO/Ball Handling - 7 offensive fouls, 21 bad passes, 4 ball handling TO, Hands rating 17.7

Interpret it how you will...

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what is the hands rating?

9. torocan

torocan Member

Hands rating is a general overall rating advanced statistic that 82games uses to determine how good a ball handler the player is when they have the ball in their hands.

Think of it as similar to PER but for dribbling and passing.

It's not perfect, but it's not bad as a general quick impression when the numbers are far apart.

10. FlyingBeagles

FlyingBeagles Member

PPat: "James is a great player, don't get me wrong.
    We all tried to make plays for ourselves (and for our teammates) ... but we should just pass the ball, move the ball, set screens, sacrifice ourselves to make this team a better team.
    When you get down, you tend to have plays where people want to make the Big Play. We have to STOP doing that
    We need learn to trust the system, trust our teammates, pretty much share the ball, average high assists, get to the free throw lines, knock down shots and we have the big wins"

You gotta respect PPat for speaking his mind w/o fear of repercussions. There is some disconnect from what players discussed during the MN player-only dinner to what transpired in the past 2 games. This is the first time players shared the disconnect with the media. I expect big changes will come soon.

11. wukong

wukong Member

I love you! ha ha! seriously I have learned a LOT from you Thanks!

12. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Wow, does that mean PPat said James was the problem?:eek:

13. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

:grin: James is very upset right now. The highly guarded secret is out in the public.

14. wukong

wukong Member

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

dang. i know why lin hasn't been playing well. coz landry fields. lin used to do something with landry during pre-game intro. we need to sign landry. all problems are solved. :)

16. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

props to ppat for letting us know

17. M4-Nightvision

I guess the players notice it too. now what the coach gonna do. old habits die hard.

18. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Truth hurts. That explains bad defense as a team.

19. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r0O7Jo1VKiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. TTNN

TTNN Member

the worst type of TO is the one happens at the top of the key, when you lost the ball there, it pretty much lead to a direct fast break with a dunk, since everybody are kind of far from the ball, and they could not catch up run down the floor, and the most you can do is foul the stealer hard if you are lucky to run really fast.

The people who are not PG but trying to do PG job will definitely increase chances of commit that kind of TO. And somehow Rox doing that a lot, with Delfino and Pasons all trying that, which is not really necessary if it is not a fast break. Harden is better, but when he is tired, he lost ball there too.