1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 4/18/2015 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 16, 2015.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

So where is the compilation of dirks and jjs flops??

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

There's still almost no pressure on the road team in Game 2. They only have to take one road game so even going down 0-2 isn't a huge deal. Pressure creeps in for game 3 as they have to win at that point.

Thought JVG made an interesting point in the Warriors/Pelicans game when asked if the comeback the Pelicans were making would help them in the next game. He said that it wouldn't as the Warriors would keep that edge and wouldn't time out Kerr when he tried to tell them New Orleans was still dangerous. Kind of have to agree and I hope the Rockets don't come out complacent in game 2 because they won by 10.

What I expect in Game 2, more Monta Ellis and Parsons. They tried too hard to get the Rockets bigs in foul trouble; while it worked in the 2nd quarter, the Rockets adjusted in the second half, helping more and crashing the boards more effectively. Figure that Carlisle will allow Monta and Parsons more freedom to create open looks.

Also, I think they'll continue to pack the paint against Harden for 1 more game, but they just don't have the personnel to really do it well. Harden had his way with that defense even though they were geared to stop them; he didn't have the best shooting night, but he tore them up with fouls and open looks for his teammates. If the Rockets keep hitting the open looks, the Mavs will have to start covering the shooters.

Really, they just don't have the manpower and this is a terrible matchup for them. Mavs need to shoot lights out and hope the Rockets go cold from the outside. The "Hack-a" strategy doesn't really work for them because, as McHale did tonight, the Rockets can go small without much consequence and use Jones at center to neutralize it. However, Game 2 will be a dogfight as the Rockets probably won't shoot as well as they did in Game 1 and the Mavs will probably cut down on their turnovers. Still think the Rockets win, but only by about 3-5. Look for Dwight to have a monster game, Harden to have another game like Game 1, and for Brewer to continue lighting it up.

4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

This was the worst production from Smith + Brewer against the Mavericks this season, but also the biggest MOV for the Rockets. Getting to play 41 games without Dwight prepared the Rockets for a game like this where he got into foul trouble. They weren't prepared for that against Portland last year. This team is better and deeper than last year. If Jones continues to out play Dirk, the Mavericks have no shot in this series.

5. reliableman

reliableman Member

6. reliableman

reliableman Member

key stat!

7. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I don't think the Mavericks will cut down on their TO's at all. The Rockets force a lot of them because Brewer, Ariza, Harden, and Prigioni generate a lot of steals, not too mention Howard, Smith, Jones, and Capela blocking shots which leads to a lot of quick decisions.

Mavericks averaged 16.8 TOs a game against the Rockets this season, and the Rockets just are much quicker at most spots than the Mavericks.

8. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

ROCKETS! Great game. This years Rockets team is much better than last years, no doubt. :D

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Great games by Ariza, Jones and Greyhound Brewer, which made the game a lot easier by going nuts in the 4th quarter.

Efficient game by Harden. He took what the defense gave him.

Howard needs to be a little bit less aggressive on d. 17 minutes from our star center will not be enough in many playoff games. Otherwise, he looks great.

Kudos to Capela. A little nice stat line in 16 minutes of action, but when he was in there, he protected the paint very well. Morey need not look for a backup center next year. Dude is gonna beast next year.

10. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

im looking all over the internet for the Dirk postgame interview...can anyone post it?:p

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If Harden steps up and Dwight plays like this for the entire postseason, no reason why this team can't be the 2006 Heat.

12. Mattician

Mattician Member

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

why do opposing power forwards always get cheat codes against us in the early playoffs?

14. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

oh my god, yes yes yesssss

I love beating the Mavericks just to watch this guy's videos

15. Rockston

Rockston Member

Can someone explain to me how Dwight was supposed to avoid all of the fouls called on him minus the moving screen in the fourth quarter? He is a defensive monster and does not pussyfoot around the court like Dirk. He plays like a man with real defensive intensity, not some fabricated fake hustle and yet the officials treat him like a big oaf rookie that has no concept of the game.

Truly ridiculous and transparent officiating to anyone paying attention during these sequences of the game. Good thing McHale brought out the secret tech aka big fella Capella. Great win, but to be great we will have to continue to watch these guys grow beyond the poor officials influence on the game.

#Pursuit

16. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i7uWOdk4feU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6U7PgfWMAec?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did you watch Brewer make 4 quarter 3s after 3s? Especially in the playoffs 3rd and 4 quarter performances are imperative.

Do not care that much about the first half other than not trailing behind too much.

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Final 2 minutes? I fell asleep at 1:50 lol, must have missed those.
    Isn't there a different rule when intentionally fouling in last two minutes? I mean we were up by double digits, why would they foul intentionally?