1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 12/23/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 22, 2013.

1. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

The problem is that as the game comes down to the line, the coaches make adjustments and it becomes much harder to score or defend. Timeouts are call and set plays for scoring or defense is dictated by the coach and his staff.

2. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Similar answer I think.

Again, only difference in impact between the two shots is the impact going forward. So, it would depend on the impact on game play following the shot made with 1 second left. Not sure if this would be enough time to cause a momentum shift.

Now, if you asked, with, say 5 minutes left in the game and someone threw down a thunderous dunk, that might cause a shift in momentum and game play going forward, and might have greater impact in that sense.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You're defining "impact" in a peculiar way, in my opinion.

The impact is that if the shot didn't go in, the team very likely loses, while if the shot goes in the team very likely wins. That's why we call such shots "important". Its not because of shot difficulty or how much pressure the player personally feels, or even how it affects game play going forward.

4. TTRocket

That's true for the previous shots as well, right?
    By "impact" I mean effect on how it affects game outcome.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And by "game outcome", we mean which team wins, right? In that case, yes, every shot can affect game outcomes. But not nearly to the same degree.

The first made shot in the game marginally increases the probability of the scoring team winning the game. A made shot in the final seconds of a tied game dramatically increases that probability.

If you want to say both shots have the same impact, then we definitely have a different understanding of what an impact play in basketball means.

6. TTRocket

Yes, I think we do.

I was referring to actual impact (effect on game outcome), not the probability of the shot winning the game.

7. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

I agree. Haters seem to forget that Lin just came back from an injury that sidelined him for over a week. He is rusty of course. The guy has 20 points on 10 shots. His defense switching is on the coach. Players reacts to the game situation and they have no time to think unless the coach has instructed them to watch out for switching on Dirk. Haters should find other scapegoats like Garcia, Casspi and TJones who had done near nothing offensively and defensively. If Bev comes back first game and scores 20 pts on 10 shots, will Lin haters stomp on Bev like he is the worst life form on this planet for missing out on defense switching? LOL.

8. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Why you consistently jump on Lin for TO. All rim attacking and penetrating pgs or players have relatively high TOs. Even Howard has high TO when he attacks the rim. When you are close to the rim, the defenders' hands are out to steal your ball at every dribble or move, that is why high TO happens to Harden, Parsons, Howard, Westbrook, Parker, Irying, Walls, Kobe, etc. etc. I don't care TOs as long as we end up in win column which means the offense is better for the attacking style of bb. But we can't be always in the win column every game. So you have to take it for the whole season as long as we win much more than lose.

9. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Our assists are way down from last year because now besides Harden demanding his iso balls, the guards have probably been told to dump the ball in to D12 for post plays. There are way less team ball this year. I miss those blow out games against top teams when we played beautiful ball movement team ball and won big. This is a regression for the team offensively. Blame it on the coach for bending to the wish of his 'superstars'.