1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Lakers @ Rockets 1/8/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

From coffeetime.

Part 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5wQdK_fjMwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wPhn1bRENak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So it seems like Harden is now part of the Parsons/Lin pre-game routine.

That's pretty cool.

3. Grigori

Grigori Member

By the third year, OKC had figured out what not to do with Harden. If you look at Harden's numbers, he doesn't just scores less while sharing the court with Westbrook and/or Durant, his efficiency also drops substantially. Better it was to sync Durant/Westbrook and give Harden more alone time than try to keep at least one of Durant/Westbrook on the floor at all times.

Right now when Lin and Harden share the floor, it's easy just to take it out of Lin. Taking it out of CP3, on the other hand, may not be as easy to live with. CP3 is a better spot-up shooter, sure, but being a good spot-up shooter is a fairly commodity-tier skill. Essentially a lot of what you are paying a premium to CP3 or Harden for will be marginalize for substantial stretches. Not really seeing it as worth it to give up the cap room to sign another star for.

On the other hand, though, there was something interesting in another forum about the four stages of the "2012 Rockets timeline":

1) The First 2 games: Just got Harden, no time to make adjustments, freelance with what we got. Rockets went 2-0.
    2) The Next 17 games: Got practice time with Harden, coaching staff announced that "democratic ball" would come to an end and everything would run through Harden. Lin was used as spot-up shooter and shot 38% FG% and Harden's efficiency dropped through the floor. Rockets went 7-10.
    3) The Spurs game: Lin dropped 38 on the Spurs and had multiple-possession lead down the 4th, but coaching staff sat him out for 4 crucial minutes, during which the Spurs scored at a 40-point quarter pace while holding the Rockets to 2 points, Spurs fought back to win in OT. Coaching staff got chewed out.
    4) The 15 games since: Lin was allowed to play some point guard again and shot 51% FG% for the stretch. Rockets went 12-3.

So yeah, even marginalized skill sets do help and it may work with CP3, but the question is how much it helps and at what cost. When you consider that the money gap will make the difference between the Rockets being able to sign another star or not. The thing is also that CP3 is older and his defense is vastly overrated: Despite his BBIQ, CP3 is simply too undersized to be a true elite defender.

Given what we have glimpsed of what Lin can do now shackled with fewer major coaching errors (relative to early in the season), it's really a hard sell for me to give up the cap to sign another star, or heck even a borderline star, with a skillset that represent a bigger improvement over what CP3 brings over Lin. Now if we were starting Ouglas it would have been a no-brainer obviously...

4. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Thanks kianainhi for keeping posting the game highlights here game after game.

I like coffeetime's videos, all HD quality, especially this one. He puts all our players good plays in the video and even includes the opposing team's, making it a very enjoyable watch. Great job. :)

It seems coffeetime, a Lin fan, is also becoming a team fan. This team is fun to watch and all players are so likable, who wouldn't want to be their fan? ;)

5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

my thoughts exactly!

6. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

I really liked TD's impressive football-style block on World Peace at the top of the key that freed Harden for his dagger three-point shot in the 4th.

World Peace looked like he hit a concrete wall. I've never seen a guard do that to him.

TD has a wide body for a guard and must be quite strong. I wondered where he learned to set a pick like that. Then I remembered his brother Harry is an NFL player.

7. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone catch what the crowd reaction was to Artest during the starting line-ups? He's one guy I would cheer for in the introductions.

8. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Nice..basically, "democratic" ball didn't pan out too well. Rotations better but these last15 games were played like the first 2.

9. bongman

bongman Member

Keep up the great job!! Your dedication is very much appreciated.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

11. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

''I thought we had the better team,'' World Peace said. ''We definitely had the better team, but every night we have the better team and it's just not translating to wins.''

12. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

j017823 did a fancam at the Lakers game. There was another fancam made at the Knicks in Houston game. What is with Jeremy talking to asst coaches of the opposing team? Respect.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gKRNhmFHOW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  13. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Jeremy Lin has only started 25 games for the Knicks, and I would say he saved as least 10 games that would have been lost for the Knicks in only half a season in his first starting year before he had to take a knee surgery. Even up to now he's only started 61 games as a PG.

By the same time next year, I am sure most people will praise Morey for the steal of Lin as I believe he will be at least 50% better than he is now and be a real All-Star.

Will CP3 be willing to play second fiddle to Harden even he is better now?

14. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Playing "next to" is not the same as controlling the ball game and having the last shot.

I don't think CP3 will play second fiddle to Harden.

Even if the two of them can score a combined 50 points per night, I don't think it will be the best fit for the Rockets' constant running and aggressive attack style. To score more than 105 points every night as the Rockets are doing now, a more evenly distributed offense would be better to come out still strong for the playoffs after 82 games, even without any injuries.

15. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

He only played 26 minutes and was on the bench most of the second half. He thrives when playing a slower-paced team.

16. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Exactly! I love this young and prospering team for these qualities more than their individual skill displays.

They have just started to learn how to play more physical but were called several times last night and stopped.

17. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agree.

18. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

That video is from Taiwan.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

How can Lin get any assist if the recipient of the ball can't make the basket?

20. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I'll bet you probably were also one of those posters who said Lin couldn't play off the ball.

How did Kidd do when the Knicks got blown out twice by the Rox?