1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Knicks @ Rockets 1/21/2004

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 20, 2004.

1. montevideo

montevideo Contributing Member

Last night was NOT a good example of not finding the hot hand.

The hot hand last night was M.Taylor and Rockets when to him alot. He averages about 10 shots a game - last night he got lots of touches and was 10-15 - getting 5 more shots off than he averages.

Rockets also went to Yao more than usual - Yao is averaging about 10 attempts per game [too low] and got off 15 attempts last night.

m.

2. mztay1

mztay1 Member

According to the article in the Houston Chronicle, SF asked JVG to leave him on the bench so he can let Mark Jackson get acclimated to the team. It implied that he was so impressed--he just wanted to stay on the bench and watch. Good for you, Steve.

Not the biggest SF fan--but as a TRUE Rockets fan..I think we should comment on every positive thing we can.

Try it..you might like it!:D

3. feishen

feishen Member

Knicks is our biatch. :D :D :D :D
    Yao was making the shots all over the places. Like JVG said, how can you guard him if he makes them. Loved MJ's half court bounce pass. He kept turning around his neck to peek at Yao. Yao ran all the way and got rewarded. Loeved it, loved it.
    How about boki's dunk! That was sick. How about this starting line up
    SF
    JJ
    Boki
    MoT
    Yao

Then we have Cat comes out from bench to give us some scoring, cato to give us rebounding when Yao is not on. Cat and Yao just can co-exist. I am not bashing Cat, but I think he should go for the 6th man award, which serves and him and us best.

I wanna see MJ more if his old bone can still sustain.

Bring on the slow-Pacers!!!

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I don't think anyone is faulting Francis's effort on defense last night, but Marbury blew passed him quite a few times. The problem was he couldn't pass to any of his teamates who can score. Yao turned quite a few penetrations back, and then the Knicks just gave up inside. So yes, Steve played a good defensive game, but it's the inside defensive dominace won the game for us.

I don't think they do that in purpose, either. But when you repeatly missing a wide open 7'6" guy, and your teamates have no problem to find him, then it does sound too suspecious, right? What has been happening I think is our guards used to take many shots every game, that's their style. When passed the ball away after a few trips down the floor, they figured they had done their share of passing, it's their turn to shoot now. This is just what I THINK, but Yao's suscess in the early part of the games, then faded late has supported my assupmtion.

Actually, it's JVG adapted to Yao's style & strength instead of the other way around. Remember the unimpressive performance by Yao & the Rockets when he was forced to change his game to a physical style low-post only? The good thing is JVG was smart enough to realize that you don't change a great player to fit your system, you tailor your system to fit the great players. He found that out with Yao, I hope he can do the same with Steve, because Steve is not utilized with his strength right now. If you pay a guy the MAX, you expect him to play at the MAX level. If JVG cannot figure out a way to do that with Steve, he better to trade him for someone can (I'm not propose a trade here. I just don't like the way Steve has been used right now.)

This comparison doesn't work here. The Bulls has a system where all you need from the guards was to bring the ball up, and they had MJ & Pippen for that. It doesn't matter who was playing for the other guard spot as long as they could catch, pass, and shoot. You don't need someone who can run the offense, set up other teammates. The Rockets are entirely different. They don't have that kind of system.

--daoshi

#264 daoshi, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  5. littlefish_220

My two cents after watching the game:

1. Yao seems to be on the edge of a breakout. Actually he mentioned in his bbs and Yang Yi (a chinese reporter who is a freind of yao) mentioned in his article that Yao thinks the game against Timberwolves was a milestone for him. Hopefully he is getting it and keep it consistently.

2. Keep Mark Jackson after 10 days. I really enjoy his play.

3. steve really plays hard, but he made a few wrong decisions. Cat is really a non-factor last night. He should shoot less when he is not hot.

4. Taylor is best as the sixth man in this team.

Go, beat the pacers.

-Littlefish

6. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

My Thoughts on the Game

1. I agree I feel Yao is on the verge of a breakout and I hope the team helps push him further along. Whenever you watch his games you always feel he hasnt scored enough.. weird isnt it?
    2. I like MoT off the bench too.. if he started where would we get our bench points? plus Yao and Mot play downlow and wouldnt get enough touches for both of them. Maybe Padgett instead? (his range opens up the inside for Yao)
    3. Another interesting idea would be starting Boki and letting Pike back him up (constant 3 point threat) while letting JJ backup Cat.
    4. we would have a potent bench.. w/

MJ
    JJ
    Pike
    MoT
    Cato.

Sounds pretty solid too me.

I think we need to keep a balance of Offensive and Defensive players on the floor when Yao is on the bench who would provide inside presence? definately not Mot (I admit his rebounding has been much improved) but Cato needs to be in.

I wonder what AG would bring to this team in terms contribution.. He can provide more rest for our starters and keep them fresher longer..

So I think a starting lineup of w/ backups.

SF - MJ
    Cat - JJ
    Boki - Pike
    Padgett - MoT
    Yao - Cato

we would have a much deeper bench JJ is playing well even though he is undersized at his position Boki would provide size and he works hard and Pike the outside threat. (if he ever finds his touch) and Ag would be a floater for the 2 or 3 w/ SF also sharing some time.

I would like more of a rotation with the Rox players they need more playing time and experience especially come playoffs.

whats everyone else's thoughts on this.. I really like MoT off the bench and JJ too.. providing scoring and a spark off the bench. Cato providing the 1/2 punch tough defense in his natural position. Cato has been exploited alot lately and this is something JVG may have to address I love Cato and he brings alot to this team but instead of being a burden on offense he can provide solid rest for Yao.

J

7. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Bulls had a pretty good player on that teams named Michael Jordan. I think Stevie is still just a bit below that level as of right now. ;)

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

Man the Knicks forum on ESPN is a mess.

Here's a thread somebody started about Taylor:

"AHAHAHA HE OWNED YOU A FAT SCRUB OWNED YOU"

9. Donatello

Donatello Member

I agree with u 100%. Rox have some great pieces do go to the playoffs.

In order to make the next step, the Rox need a young pass-first PG, like Chris Duhon from Duke. He is only 6-1, but MJ might be even smaller. Duhon's passing and defense make up for his lack of size big time. Does anyone know what position he is likely to be drafted in? Last night we all saw what a good pg will do to the team. If we can get Duhon, then the Rox could contend. In order to get him, we might have to sacrifice Mobley, and let SF play his natural 2.

10. sup123

sup123 Member

on a side not maybe francis is trying to learn The Rockets were going so well that in the subsequent timeout, Francis -- who had made just four of 14 shots -- asked Van Gundy to keep Mark Jackson in the game. Jackson played15 minutes and controlled the decisive run. Got it from the Houston Chronicle.

11. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

man there's a sensitive one in every crowd...

this is about the time I get fired from my color commentary postition even though I appologize profusely...

any ladies that were offended by my comment are offered a permanent invite to come over and talk about it...

;)

12. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

ROFL

MoT, 6th man of the year!

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Mo Taylor's improved play in the low post is extremely important. We can't expect Yao to succeed all the time. I 'm glad both of them are starting to mix up their jumpers with low post scoring.

14. BrockStapper

no doubt...

I don't know how many times I find myself saying "damn Mo... :eek: you bad Mo Fo ..."

the dude is bad...

15. BrockStapper

Nice recaps Clutch!!!

16. DonKnutts

DonKnutts Contributing Member

Haven't we learned from recent history:

NEVER DRAFT A PG FROM DUKE.

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I like the WNBA games! Especially love to see the ladies got into fights, scratch the hell out each other, pulling the hair down. Good stuff!;)

I love THAT game!

--daoshi

18. quantum

quantum Contributing Member

Bulls -- that's because they ran triangle offense which doesn't really require a true point guard -- and you look at the assist #s for Lakes which run triangle, they are #2 in assist, but assists tend to distrbute among all players, they don't need a lot of assists from a PG. I don't know what kind of system Rockets is running, but looks like a good passing PG may really make a difference.