1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Jazz @ Rockets 2/9/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2020.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he is good at certain things, ie the big picture offense and keeping players happy. but he's a poor motivator (witness how often we show up flat for big games), poor game manager, and just plain lazy when it comes to making adjustments. for instance last night when we were getting killed the entire 4th off the dribble he could have switched in rivers on the final defensive possessions. but he never lifts a finger, just keeps the same lineup on the floor no matter what's going on smh. he's a slightly above average coach, but his lack of attention to details and choking in crunchtime moments is what keeps him out of the top 10-12 imo

roslolian likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This was a hugely important game (tie breaker for the playoff seeding against an arch rival) that we should have won at home. On one level, I want to tip my hat to the Jazz, as aggravating as that is, but on the other hand, if we'd played just a bit better, it wouldn't have come down to that last shot. Too many defensive mistakes at crucial times. Those by PJ I blame more on playing him too many minutes for too long. The All Star break can't come soon enough, and when we come back, his minutes need to come down. Defensive mistakes and missed open looks from 3. Maddening, but you put it in the rear view mirror, hopefully learn from it, and pray that Morey finds some value in the buyout market. Easy enough to say. :-(

BallSoHarden, pippendagimp and HP3 like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree but that wasn't my post lol

HP3 likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

damnit...ignore me lol, my bad @fryjol7

5. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Great post. This is basically what I was saying as well. Although it seems like James is on a slump, he's still an above average efficiency player during a rough shooting stretch. He takes smart, effective shots and gets to the line often even if his 3-pointers aren't dropping.

Meanwhile, Russ, with an ideal set up for him is doing good too, but nowhere close to peak Harden. I don't really see this changing as long as Russ continues to shoot ~1/3 of his shots as mid rangers. He's 63%+ at the rim, which is great especially at his volume. But outside of 10+ feet his eFG% drops to roughly 40%, which is a big hit to his efficiency.

I'm really happy that he's making strides and doing well, but it's going to be hard to have the #1 offense in the league with his shot distribution and volume. And we have to have the absolute #1 offense to have a legit chance to win it all this season imo.

6. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Houston will lose next match, if MDA still dont let our Tyson or Harkinstein to play for 10 to 15 minutes in the 1st quarter. 20 percent big ball and 80 percent small ball is perfect. Just let MDA to consider by himself

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. WestendMassive

The last two minute report provides no solace. Mitchell didn't foul RoCo apparently. But their explanation has me scratching my head:

Q4 00:17.5 Foul: Offensive Donovan Mitchell Robert Covington CNC Video
    Comment: Mitchell (UTA) extends his off-arm and delivers contact to Covington's (HOU) side that dislodges him from position.

That comment (and the video) suggests to me that it was a foul - he extended his arm and dislodged Covington from a legal guarding position, yet it was a "Correct No Call". What am I missing here?

heypartner, D-rock and Von Rafer like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is Tex Winter not PJ sad to say.

10. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Clarkson is on his second nba contract outside of his rookie deal so Clarkson has been known to be able to do that.

Clarkson played in sec just like house did!

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Every game is the f'n same at the end of it. It's just bs. We never have control of any game. Just sucks. It's not championship energy at all.