1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Jazz @ Rockets 2/9/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2020.

1. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Jazz is strong after getting Conley, Bojan and Clarkson. We cannot reduce the wings defence, it will get a big punishment

pr0wler and jcmoon like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Been saying this for a solid 1.5 months now. Believe it when I see it at this point. He's been underwhelming for pretty much all of 2020.

pr0wler likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Went to look at his scoring efficiency since January 1 and was really surprised to see this

Westbrook : 56.8 TS%
    Harden : 56.1 TS%

Would have guessed Westbrook was closer to 60% and Harden more in the low 50s.

pr0wler likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know ultimately Tucker was close to Bogdan as he shot the three, but he was still a half step behind as Bogdan cut to his spot. In fact look at it again (vid below). Tucker just daydreams for a half second as Bogdan starts cutting up. This is the same thing that happened with Bjelica.

Bear in mind Tucker also fouled Mitchell on the prior play where I don't think he needed to - instead make Mitchell take the difficult shot.

Tucker's team defense, rebounding, hustle, effort, versatility has still been there, generally, but he's been a step slow, especially on some of these key one on one type things.

Too many minutes...

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe he turns it on in the Playoffs 2nd round till the Finals but I am not that rich, betting on it.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden's playstyle is more naturally efficient. Not saying he's been trash, but he has been nowhere an MVP candidate level player since the New Year, and the Rockets are going nowhere if Westbrook is their best performer.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dame says Hi.......

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bring Dennis Lindsey home Tilman!

[​IMG]

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Truth.

Knowing our luck though Harden will eventually come back to MVP performance and Russ will go back to being Crazy Russ.

Seems we are destined to have two superstars but not both playing well at the same time for any stretch that matters. I am still waiting for the games where both are just dominating. When that happens I don't think there is any team in the NBA that could beat us...but it just doesn't happen enough for it to matter.

bj3175 likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not sure it's a matter of luck. I think it just further shows that they are not well-fitting players. Both need the ball and to play with space, something Russ can't provide to Harden. I don't think the pairing works, especially when you have to basically eliminate any semblance of height or rebounding or interior play to make Russ a viable option.

I am happy Russ has turned his season around, but I've avoided getting overly excited about it because it has an obvious adverse effect on Harden's play. At the end of the day, the team is better when Harden is playing like an MVP with Russ as more of a role player, than it is when Russ is playing like an MVP and Harden's playing more off of him. It goes beyond the box score numbers.

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I know people are freaking out (not all that abnormal for clutch fans) but we lost to a good team on a last second shot with harden not shooting well and Gordon not playing. We looove negating regular season success here by saying it's all about the playoffs but we will have Gordon in the playoffs and even if harden doesn't shoot well ( I think he will) I think we win a game like this

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't agree with that though, Harden is getting the same kind of shots he usually gets, he's just missing them. That stepback three he's just missing, that's not on Russ at all, that was his go-to move and now he's not making it. Harden, because of the small ball lineup, can drive whenever he wants to still, just like Russ. It's just his step back isn't going in for him as consistently as it used to.

As for Russ, he's the one that made the biggest change, he's just not shooting more than 2 or so threes a game and it's really boosted his efficiency. I think it is a stretch of bad luck because Harden's shooting isn't what it should be, the whole reason we get rid of Capela so that they both can have space.

Harden's shooting slump is his own fault though, not that he's playing terrible, but his shooting just isn't what we are used to. He's at least doing other things though.

houston19519, Rocks92 and HP3 like this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Maybe so. Hopefully that is the case and Harden comes back around. I just don't really think it's a coincidence that both of their "good" stretches has coincided with the other playing badly. I would certainly love to be wrong, though. Hopefully they can get on the same page these last 30 or so games and figure it out before the playoffs.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Driven by free throws. Wesbtooks efg% (takes out free throws but counts 3pters as 3) is over 53% last two months. Harden was 42% in January and 54% in Feb.

Nothing wrong with free throws per se, but useful to see that Westbrook won't be reliant on the whistle and opponent scheme in the playoffs.

IMO harden should take fewer 3s. He's a good 3pt shooter but streaky. He'll go 8-16 then 1-13. I'd rather him take 8-10 3s instead of 13.

8 would guess his ppp on drives is better, especially in the playoffs. He's shooting 65% at the rim

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My thing is just like...when Harden is something like 1-7 from 3, it's maybe a sign that he should cool it with the 3's and attack the basket more. If he's feeling it, then sure, go ahead, but far too many times he just continues to jack up shots when he's clearly not hitting them.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Guys who read me know I've been pretty critical of this season and overall attitude of the team. I think by now, we are who we are.

However, if there has ever been a good loss this season, I thinks this is it. I saw Harden engaged on defense, contesting shots, I saw the team rotating. May be that us, critics of Covington trade have underrated the marginal impact of a 2nds defensive guy on the lineup.

Amazing shot by the Jazz, but it was a heavyweight fight, we threw our haymakers, they threw theirs and we lost by one. Kind of gives you hope being our 3rd game.

We need an action when the big man is on Russ. A Decoy screen in a corner and a Harden pick and Roll should be enough when that is the defense set up.

HP3 likes this.
  18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Man that shot still hurts. But I guess it evens out cuz we beat 'em in their house with our bench basically... Granted we didn't have EG last night.

Sucks we lost the tiebreaker though.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

Thats actually a pretty decent idea. We need to make use of how much attention both guys draw.

20. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Like the Lakers, Utah is a team that on paper is supposed to destroy the Rockets due to size. Not only do they have Gobert but numerous long tall players besides.

And yet-

Utah shoots 40% from three
    Utah out-rebounds Rockets by 12
    Harden goes 2-13 from three

And Utah STILL needed an impossible fadeaway 3 with two defenders draped on the shooter in order to win.

I believe D'Antoni is implementing a winning style and we have a chance to beat excellent teams in a 7 game series.

Interesting notes:
    Rockets take TEN steals and 15 turnovers from the Jazz
    Rockets: only six turnovers

HP3 likes this.