1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Hornets @ Rockets 10/12/2012 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 11, 2012.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Alot of guys dont box out. You bump and go to the ball as a rebounder as a big guy. Look, patterson is solid and thats fine and dandy I guess. We have seen what he is for the most part. He's a good mid range jumpshooter, good pnr defender, solid player. People want jones because he's dynamic. He will make mistakes as a young player, but he has game changing ability. Its like hayes vs josh smith. One guy is solid and the other guy is dynamic.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

'bump and go' is a pretty selfish, stat stuffing, losing attitude for a big man rebounder. You always try to box out. Sometimes it's not necessary and sometimes it's not even possible, but it has to be a priority.

3. King Boo

King Boo Member

What exactly is 'bump and go' and why is is stat-stuffing? I don't see why you don't box out whenever possible.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

that's what i said, you box out whenever possible.
    i was replying to the previous post.

5. King Boo

King Boo Member

That was a legit question, what do you mean by 'bump and go'?

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i was replying to the previous post which implied that boxing out isn't a big deal.

I borrowed 'bump and go' from that post, I never used that phrase before, but I assume he meant ball chasing. As in, you watch the ball after it's released, and if it's a miss, you rush and fight for the ball on the spot.
    On the other hand, boxing out is preemptive. The ball is released, and you box your opponent out before knowing if it's a miss.
    Every player does both at times. Boxing out isn't practical in many situations.

But many guys, softer guys, or selfish guys, will focus on ball watching and then chase it, instead of getting physical right when the ball is released.
    It doesn't necessarily hurt your individual stats. There are many mobile bigs who are lazy to box out but still have decent board numbers. But in the big picture it hurts your team. Boxing out isn't about getting boards yourself necessarily, it's also about putting the opposing big into a bad spot for an offensive board. So even if you don't get the board, maybe your teammate gets it because of your box out. Worst case, even if the opposing team gets the board, at least you've prevented an easy dunk by boxing out your man.

7. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

I think he will play aggressively when it counts. Right now, in pre-season, he seems to be working on his weaker skills: passing, defense, decision-making, etc.

The whole world already knows Jeremy Lin can get into the paint at will. It's not a skill to sneeze at, and I'm sure Morey didn't pay him $25million to not do it.

8. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

Lin is using these games for practise for sure. I've noticed him dribbling a lot with his left hand, even if it wasn't required.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well has it ever occurred to you the dude is a rookie, he hasn't even played 1 NBA game yet. OTH, PPat is on year 3, and he spent 3 years in college, Jones is a one-and-done. So in terms of experience, PPat has like 5 years on him, yet there isn't that large a gap between the two of them.

As far as Jones not boxing out, there are many reasons why he doesn't do it:

1. Inexperience-dude has 1 year in college. That's not enough to learn the big man fundamental skills, esp. since he was dabbling in 3-skillsets the whole time.

2. Talent- Pre-NBA, there wasn't any need to box out, Jones could outjump his defender for the reb without breaking a sweat. Now that he's hit the pros that's about to change, but unless he gets shut down and has his ass handed down to him by a more talented opponent he won't be able to break his habit.

The point is, non-boxing out is such a minor thing for a rookie. Once he learns how to box out then what? What'll make PPat better than him? If i were Ppat I'd be sweating bullets, Dmo and Jones are chomping at the bit to take his starting slot. Or maybe not, maybe he wants to go to the SPurs lol.

10. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I just wanted to say I hate playing with anyone who:
    1) does not box out
    2) does not crash the board when the shot's up
    3) shoots fading away every time
    4) shoots when no one is in position for a rebound
    5) holds the ball too long
    6) gets fancy with the dribbling for no reason
    I can't believe we're talking a out learning to box out at this stage of basketball.

11. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

Mich Lorence of New York Daily News said the Knicks made the right decision not to match Lin's contract and the Rockets overpaid Lin after Lin's 1st preseason game. :rolleyes: And his article was cited by several newspapers in China as concerns for Lin. (newspapers in China and Taiwan translate and copy every English articles online that is related to Lin even if they are Bleacher Reports!)

I'm watching Miami Heat against LA Clippers in China right now. Chris Paul has done for the day after 22 minutes. He got 4 points and 6 assists. He must be washed up! :p

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i don't care about the Rockets rotation specifically. For all I know, the rotation will be Donatas / White by the time the season starts. None of these guys looked like superstars to me so far.

i was replying to a statement that boxing out is no big deal. It is a big deal. This is a team game, and boxing out (like setting screens or taking charges or moving the ball) is what separates a winning team player from a streetballer.